Leidner Should Not Have Played

Reaction score
All I have to say is Leidner should not have played. Not because I think he is a bad quarterback but he was injured and limited the team's performance period. I was listening on the radio before the game and they were surprised Leidner was getting the start because MCL injuries are nothing to mess with and players are usually out 2-4 weeks minimum with any MCL injuries especially sprains. I give credit for Leidner coming out and staying strong even with the injury but when I saw him come out in that brace I knew he was not going to be as mobile and quick as he sometimes is. They should have played Streveler at the start of the 2nd half or atleast halfway through the 3rd quarter. It would have gave Streveler experience as I think we really had nothing to lose. I'm personally not going to judge how good Leidner is until he 100% with no stinking brace on his knee when he plays someone in the Big Ten because he just looked way different out there than usual and I have been watching him since he has been here. I thought he played better last year against Michigan in the big house as a RS Fr. Well that's what I think.

BTW - if ML was limited in speed and ability due to injury, he should not be given credit for playing through it. A leader and teammate should do what is best for the team.

I had a strange feeling about him coming back too. Thought they might be rushing him just to prove that we have a #1 guy.

I thought he looked fine and just as mobile as he's always been. The reports all week were that he practiced full-go and felt 100%.

I had a strange feeling about him coming back too. Thought they might be rushing him just to prove that we have a #1 guy.

Seems odd but Cobb played hurt yesterday too. Though come to think of it, Mitch played well against SJSU because Nelson was hurt and we were all expected him to start against Iowa. Then Nelson started and played pretty badly. After the game Phil said he played hurt and the coaches admitted that they debated, even at the half, if Nelson should have played.

All reports were that Mitch was fine going into the game, but there's some history of staying with a guy, hurt or not. Or maybe the staff just hasn't thought that much of the options they have in "the next guy up".

All accounts I heard before the game from the media was that he looked fine. This is hindsight nonsense here.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

At least to me he looked slower than usual. I actually was thinking this was like the Nelson injury last year. I think he wanted to play even with an injury to prove that he can be the #1 guy. I thinking he was forcing it and Kill is the kind of coach just like last year with Nelson, that will play a player if THE PLAYER says they are fine well of course they will say they are just so they can play. I think Leidner maybe should have started which he did but if he didn't perform after a couple quarters which he didn't take him out prevent him from more injury and put in the back up and get him some experience. Leidner did look different to me. Looked slower than normal. I think that was a poor coaching decision.

Long as we're whining, where were the media reports last week on Cobb? Kill said yesterday that he didn't practice much this week with a low ankle sprain.

Don't mean to keep ranting on but just read the article on Leidner and his Broken bone in his foot and they said this, "Leidner played with a brace on his left knee and wasn't as mobile trying to avoid an athletic and aggressive TCU pass rush. The Horned Frogs only sacked him twice but pressured him constantly. One pass was tipped at the line of scrimmage and another deflected to cause two of his three interceptions Saturday. He completed 12 of 26 passes for 151 yards with no touchdowns." And I do think that if he was 100% his stats would have been over 200 yards passing and he would have had one or maybe two less interceptions and he would have had atleast one TD pass. I'm still shocked he got 151 yards with his condition against that Defense.

And for Cobb, Kill probably played him because he has been playing so well in the last few weeks and would give us that chance with running the ball against a very good TCU team on the road. He probably should have took him out after the first quarter the way he was performing and prevent injury. The only reason he was playing Cobb and even Leidner was because we were playing one the best teams we are going to play all year on the road and bringing them into the game give us our best shot of winning any game. Now i dont know about Leidner but if this was San Jose St., or any other small school maybe even Purdue they would not have played Cobb or maybe even Leidner. They played them to give us the best shot at winning but in reality when your playing a team like TCU on the road you need your most healthy and best playmakers in and definitely Leidner was limited in some aspects against that team.

And for Cobb, Kill probably played him because he has been playing so well in the last few weeks and would give us that chance with running the ball against a very good TCU team on the road. He probably should have took him out after the first quarter the way he was performing and prevent injury. The only reason he was playing Cobb and even Leidner was because we were playing one the best teams we are going to play all year on the road and bringing them into the game give us our best shot of winning any game. Now i dont know about Leidner but if this was San Jose St., or any other small school maybe even Purdue they would not have played Cobb or maybe even Leidner. They played them to give us the best shot at winning but in reality when your playing a team like TCU on the road you need your most healthy and best playmakers in and definitely Leidner was limited in some aspects against that team.

Kill said after the game that Cobb playing was a bad decision on his part. GH's then castigated Kill for criticizing the Head Coach. :eek:

FORT WORTH, TEXAS – The Gophers were straightforward all week with quarterback Mitch Leidner’s playing status, but they kept another injury hidden from the media.After Saturday’s 30-7 loss to TCU, coach Jerry Kill revealed that running back David Cobb was limited all week in practice because of an ankle injury.

“He had a low-ankle sprain, so he practiced on Wednesday and Thursday a little bit, but didn’t take any contact,” Kill said. “He wanted to play in the game. I thought he did some good things, but he wasn’t full speed, and we probably shouldn’t have played him, to be honest with you.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/275031771.html

At least to me he looked slower than usual. I actually was thinking this was like the Nelson injury last year. I think he wanted to play even with an injury to prove that he can be the #1 guy. I thinking he was forcing it and Kill is the kind of coach just like last year with Nelson, that will play a player if THE PLAYER says they are fine well of course they will say they are just so they can play. I think Leidner maybe should have started which he did but if he didn't perform after a couple quarters which he didn't take him out prevent him from more injury and put in the back up and get him some experience. Leidner did look different to me. Looked slower than normal. I think that was a poor coaching decision.
Definitely looked slow - and awkward + 12/26 with four turnovers. O-line also looked slow - TCU speed put them in our backfield all day, stuffing the run.

All I have to say is Leidner should not have played. Not because I think he is a bad quarterback but he was injured and limited the team's performance period. I was listening on the radio before the game and they were surprised Leidner was getting the start because MCL injuries are nothing to mess with and players are usually out 2-4 weeks minimum with any MCL injuries especially sprains. I give credit for Leidner coming out and staying strong even with the injury but when I saw him come out in that brace I knew he was not going to be as mobile and quick as he sometimes is. They should have played Streveler at the start of the 2nd half or atleast halfway through the 3rd quarter. It would have gave Streveler experience as I think we really had nothing to lose. I'm personally not going to judge how good Leidner is until he 100% with no stinking brace on his knee when he plays someone in the Big Ten because he just looked way different out there than usual and I have been watching him since he has been here. I thought he played better last year against Michigan in the big house as a RS Fr. Well that's what I think.

It's a tough sport. He was fine. Played poorly but a kid needs to rise above. Player go dinged all the time.

I'm sorry but unless his eyes were injured several of his poor decisions had nothing to do with being hurt. He had several plays where he wasn't pressured and flat out ignored wide open receivers to throw into double coverage.

He had a bad day. I'm sure playing hurt didn't help but that is not the end all excuse. You never play 100% during the season. There are always pains and injuries. If he can't play banged up he will never be successful. It's a matter of whether they significantly affect your game. I guess I personally didn't really see that.

It's a tough sport. He was fine. Played poorly but a kid needs to rise above. Player go dinged all the time.

There is a difference between hurt and injured. You should learn that difference.

There is a difference between hurt and injured. You should learn that difference.

Which was he, hurt or injured and why should I care about the difference. What's between his ears is injured right now for whatever reason and it's not concussion related it's confidence and know-how related.

Which was he, hurt or injured and why should I care about the difference. What's between his ears is injured right now for whatever reason and it's not concussion related it's confidence and know-how related.

Thank you for your expert opinion. I'm glad someone got between his ears to see what is going on. I suspect it took hours of talking with him to determine this and we all appreciate your commitment to do so Indi. I hate to say it, but some folks on here would make claims like that by simply watching games on TV.

Thank you for confirming everything I thought of your opinion.

Thank you for your expert opinion. I'm glad someone got between his ears to see what is going on. I suspect it took hours of talking with him to determine this and we all appreciate your commitment to do so Indi. I hate to say it, but some folks on here would make claims like that by simply watching games on TV.

I would guess he's also wondering whether his team has lost confidence in him (they're surely thinking twice about it) and he's also probably wondering what Kill has gotten him into with all this "Leidner is our leader" stuff. The kid looks miserable to me I'd like to see him just get out there and let it all hang out and play without feeling like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders like he does now. Tough spot for the kid, and you're welcome I'm happy to enlighten you.

Top Bottom