O-Line

Where is another Noel jenke when we need him. 1st U athlete to letter in 3 sports.

OL performance was not a complete disaster and, although disappointing, should not have been a complete surprise. There are issues that can be easily fixed and others that are more problematic. The team knows this and so should anyone who pays attention.

This is not the veteran OL the team hoped would compete for 2014 B1G title. People have shifted due to injury altering chemistry. Missing is Jon with Ben trying to recover from HAS. The pain is particularly acute at RG with the loss of Bak.

Bak finished the ’13 campaign as the teams top OL according to internal grading and coaches. He was also seen by conference coaches as one of the top B1G guards. Team saw him as right side anchor whose absence also impacted RT play.

Losing that caliber of player will hurt - as Kill just publicly admitted.

During fall camp, OC told the OL unit that the loss of Bak was a ‘big blow’ and challenged them to rise to that level of play. Longer term, however, OC is excited. Believes this current group to be the most talented he has ever coached or so he told them. Believes future to be very bright.

Bak, just another Concordia Academy over achiever! Go Beacons!

However it has been said that a lot of times offensive lineman and specifically the center are the smartest players on the field so it isn't as simple as hit the guy in front of you the whole game like some people make it out to be.

Underwhelmed by the intelligence factor of getting off the block in a direction and applying the motor cortex.

Underwhelmed by the intelligence factor of getting off the block in a direction and applying the motor cortex.
E=mc[SUP]2[/SUP] is a simple equation. But the 'quantum' mechanics behind it are not. Reasonable people get this. The same principle applies to the OL. Regards.

Must be the reason Bak was overlooked during recruiting.

Bak, just another Concordia Academy over achiever! Go Beacons!
So Concordia Academy, is the small school the reason a player of Bak's caliber was overlooked or was it just the Brewster
chasing stars all over the Continental United States. Did Brewster ever take a helicopter ride to Roseville or was it just to St Thomas to chase after that # 1 recruit guy he was never going to get. I wonder If Brewster still books helicopter rides these days on the recruiting trail at FSU?

Shouldn't be the case with another year, but thinking back to last year gives me hope. The OL in the Iowa game was just abysmal--looked unmotivated and unprepared. Then in the Michigan game there were glimmers of hope as they actually had some decent plays as a unit. Then, whether it was confidence or experience or health, they started clicking on that winning streak. Not the same line and hopefully it won't take two BIG games but this bunch coached by this staff kicked the hell out of Nebraska and I'm expecting them to show that improvement again. Glass half full view is if we have to lose a game while they're figuring it out, I'd rather have our asses kicked in a non-conference game.

What's going on with Christenson? Not on the 2 deeps, our starting center last year and a good lineman. Must still not be fully recovered from last years injury. Him and Bak not being in there hurts.

E=mc[SUP]2[/SUP] is a simple equation. But the 'quantum' mechanics behind it are not. Reasonable people get this. The same principle applies to the OL. Regards.

LOL. This is like saying the motor cortex came up with the equation!

So Concordia Academy, is the small school the reason a player of Bak's caliber was overlooked or was it just the Brewster
chasing stars all over the Continental United States. Did Brewster ever take a helicopter ride to Roseville or was it just to St Thomas to chase after that # 1 recruit guy he was never going to get. I wonder If Brewster still books helicopter rides these days on the recruiting trail at FSU?

Concordia has never had a winning tradition in football and struggles year over year. But the players step up and work hard regardless. The number of players that have gone to the U and started is amazing for a school of under 300 students. Not only is CA always overlooked, I think the school can't be located by the scouts as the football field is covered with townhouses and they share facilities with Roseville.

Kill and Limegrover both called out the OL this week we will have to see if the fellas can elevate their game. We should be able to provide ample time for the QB to throw today.

It all gets back to Limegrover trying to do 2 jobs, OC & OL coach. He's clearly trying to do too much. He has not, in four years, demonstrated that he is a effective OL coach. He s/b replaced artfç

It all gets back to Limegrover trying to do 2 jobs, OC & OL coach. He's clearly trying to do too much. He has not, in four years, demonstrated that he is a effective OL coach. He s/b replaced at that role.

Our OL is not in correct shape. They seem a bit fat for lack of a better word. Even SEC OL's are in shape and athletic. It doesn't help that the last two guys in MN both signed with an SEC school. We have to get our blue chip OL's to stay home.

- Christenson gets injured so we have to move Tommy Olson to Center. Our starting RG is now at C.

- Caleb Bak gets injured but Tommy Olson is now covering Center.

- Ben Lauer gets injured at LT so we have to move Josh Campion from RT to LT. Our starting RT is now at LT.

- Campion is replaced by Jonah Pirsig at RT, who promptly gets injured.

- Now we have the not-suite-ready Pirsig playing injured at RT, which forces us to rush Ben Lauer back to play RT with a high ankle sprain. i.e Our starting RT's are two guys with little experience & both are injured.

- LG Zac Epping gets injured & is playing through it.

- Isaac Hayes starts playing some at RG, but he's not really ready yet either.

- Where is Joe Bjorklund? He played well at both Guard positions last year in relief but now he's a LT.

Bottom line is we're all banged up & it's a mess.

- Christenson gets injured so we have to move Tommy Olson to Center. Our starting RG is now at C.

- Ben Lauer gets injured at LT so we have to move Josh Campion from RT to LT. Our starting RT is now at LT.

- Now we have the not-suite-ready Pirsig playing injured at RT, which forces us to rush Ben Lauer back to play RT with a high ankle sprain. i.e Our starting RT's are two guys with little experience & both are injured.

- Where is Joe Bjorklund? He played well at both Guard positions last year in relief but now he's a LT.

Well stated. one correction. Tommy moved to center at the start of '13 as Jon's back-up. The coaches and Tommy felt that that was his best shot at playing again. He was never going to beat out Zac or Caleb. He knew it too.

I have heard Bjorklund has knee issues and is now much slower than he was a year ago.

Excuses: winning teams, coaching staff and players rise above and perform. It certainly would be nice to have Bak and Christensen healthy and playing, but we have enough experience and talent to perform at a high level regardless. Today was a step in the right direction, but overall meaningless as we need to do it at the B1G ten level.

It all gets back to Limegrover trying to do 2 jobs, OC & OL coach. He's clearly trying to do too much. He has not, in four years, demonstrated that he is a effective OL coach. He s/b replaced artfç

I consider him one of the best O-line coaches in the conference.

Well stated. one correction. Tommy moved to center at the start of '13 as Jon's back-up. The coaches and Tommy felt that that was his best shot at playing again. He was never going to beat out Zac or Caleb. He knew it too.

You're right, I should have been more clear. What I should have said is that if JC was healthy or Bobek was an option, there's no doubt in my mind that Tommy would be starting at RG over Bush.

Watching the replay, Christenson played at least one full series. Great to see him back on the field.

Watching the replay, Christenson played at least one full series. Great to see him back on the field.

Outstanding! Thanks for the post. I have watched the 2nd half 3 times now, but didn't notice that.

I just read most but not all the posts in this thread which was started after the TCU loss in September. It leaves me convinced of a couple things:

1. What a roll call of over reacting idiots.
2. Glad I always take an Internet break after losses. I hadn't seen this thread til now.

I just read most but not all the posts in this thread which was started after the TCU loss in September. It leaves me convinced of a couple things:

1. What a roll call of over reacting idiots.
2. Glad I always take an Internet break after losses. I hadn't seen this thread til now.

I started the thread because it was what I saw against Wisconsin and Michigan State last year, followed by looking horrible against TCU. they have come a long way this year and we also have a different right died of the line now. Pirsig is not fat and slow. He's getting better every week. We now have some excellent depth as well.

I saw JC get in about 5 plays or so leading up to the FG, came in right after Leidner's long run early in that possession. Hayes got some PT on that drive and in a few others I think.

It'll be interesting next spring and fall to see who steps in for Epping and Eddie O.

I remember watching the game and hearing the announcers talk about the good block/seal that Hayes had. I think that was the first time all season I've heard his name called. That was nice to see.

Top Bottom