Jerry Kill...is he the right guy?

a scared QB does not throw wobbly passes.
fear shows up as 'happy feet', sacks taken, false starts, etc.
if in fear, and running out of the pocket, a QB regresses to the playground in 5th grade and zips a tight spiral..

I acknowledge sometimes that could be a by product of scared, although they seem more to describe nervous to me. Scared is not playing with a smile. You have to have fun playing. Mitch had that last year. The team responded to it. It was the contrast of Mitch and Nelson last year as the season grew older. My definition of playing scared has more to do with confidence, facial expressions and body language. Especially, when we have previous
performance demonstrating Leidner's strengths as enthusiasm, recklessness, passion, having fun, verbal leadership on the field, just an aura, a persona about him that said ride me, everything is going to be alright now, jump on, follow me....here we go. That's gone...we have not seen it once all year. Nelson once had it....lost it. That is playing scared. Not being yourself. Not playing to your capabilities. Looking like you want to hide in front of 50,000 people. That's playing scared. Streveler in his two performances has played more like Leidner last year and Nelson early in his career. That's why I'm anxious to see his progression in this regard. Is he going to eventually hide too? Because from all accounts that is not his personality!

I'll agree Nelson regressed at the end of last year. Playing Wisconsin and Michigan State had a lot to do with it. Don't know what happened in the bowl game, but I'm guessing he had already decided to leave by then.

You are way, way over-estimating what Mitch showed as a QB last year. He consistently coughed up the ball and was sacked once every nine times he dropped back to pass. So far, he can't see the whole field and decide quickly which I think is his main flaw. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm fearing he never will. You saw a bunch of strictly subjective things such as having fun and passion because they fit your bias. I didn't see those at all. Take that back--I saw the recklessness--I still see it this year, unfortunately.

I'm almost never critical of specific players, but Mitch's chest pounding and declarations how he was now ready to be the leader and this was his team bugged me at the start of the season. Almost like he was trying to convince himself which isn't a good thing.

a scared QB does not throw wobbly passes.
fear shows up as 'happy feet', sacks taken, false starts, etc.
if in fear, and running out of the pocket, a QB regresses to the playground in 5th grade and zips a tight spiral..

Please just stop.

You mentioned my bias and my over estimating what Leidner showed

I'll agree Nelson regressed at the end of last year. Playing Wisconsin and Michigan State had a lot to do with it. Don't know what happened in the bowl game, but I'm guessing he had already decided to leave by then.

You are way, way over-estimating what Mitch showed as a QB last year. He consistently coughed up the ball and was sacked once every nine times he dropped back to pass. So far, he can't see the whole field and decide quickly which I think is his main flaw. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm fearing he never will. You saw a bunch of strictly subjective things such as having fun and passion because they fit your bias. I didn't see those at all. Take that back--I saw the recklessness--I still see it this year, unfortunately.

I'm almost never critical of specific players, but Mitch's chest pounding and declarations how he was now ready to be the leader and this was his team bugged me at the start of the season. Almost like he was trying to convince himself which isn't a good thing.

Nelson completed 50% of his passes- Leidner 55%
Nelson's efficiency rating was 119- Leidner's was 131.9
Nelson threw 6 interceptions- Leidner one
Nelson averaged 30 yards rushing Leidner 40 yards per game in 10 games
Yes, Leidner fumbled and it was very annoying- I can't find the stats- Nelson fumbled and Nelson got sacked too...what was his sack rate?
I believe that is enough statistical evidence to refute "way, way over estimating what Mitch showed as a quarterback last year"? or no? You are saying he was horrible last year too but Nelson with lesser statistics was better?
"You saw a bunch of subjective things" Yes I did. And yes, I did because I do pay attention to them as a coach. You didn't see them because you weren't looking for them. The point is I'm still looking for them. It is their absence that is alarming to me. Their absence is why Leidner is not playing well imo
Naturally you put your perspective or bias on my using recklessness as a positive. You are spinning it as carelessness with the football. Yes, there was and still is that aspect to his play. But the recklessness I am talking about has been evident to me one time this year on his second touchdown when he ran over a guy to score a touchdown on third down. One time this year by my definition. Many times last year. Playing scared he's gotten hurt twice. Playing with recklessness last not at all.
My point isn't that he is good. My point is he played better last year and if he would have started there and improved this year with a better scheme and last years mindset he could/would be good.
Through three games last years guy is gone and stats show that was an okay QB...but there was also the on field leadership quality you missed that is no longer there any more as well.
You liked Nelson and at one time he was better than Leidner. But by your admission not at the end of last year. So, aren't you saying Leidner was better last year than this year? If so, what are you arguing with me about?

Leidner's chest pounding was in response to a position coaches put him in and quite obviously it has worked out rather poorly. A big part of that has been taking away his recklessness (Zac Epping ness, if you will) and asking him to focus on not getting hurt. Playing with abandon, playing balls out, taking no prisoners, that mentality. If he had that he'd be effective again.

I love Coach Kill for everything he stands for but...he had better figure out a way to beat the stinkin Badgers, and soon.

I love Coach Kill for everything he stands for but...he had better figure out a way to beat the stinkin Badgers, and soon.

This cannot be understated. By my count, he is 2-10 in trophy/bowl games. We need some hardware coming our way soon, especially against Wisconsin.

I will say here's the one thing people are forgetting. Under Brewster, we were dreadful against the mid-majors and often got rolled over. Kill has CLEARLY put together teams that compete and are superior to the mid-major teams we play. 7-0 against those squads the last 2 years. Much like Mase did in his tenure (and even Mason occasionally lost to Toledo or Memphis). Today is definitely an example of how we have improved as a program in the last 5 years.

Sad thing is progress is a lot slower for the passing game.

If they can solve that, they will be awesome. They'll have a balanced attack that is not too predictable.

I will say here's the one thing people are forgetting. Under Brewster, we were dreadful against the mid-majors and often got rolled over. Kill has CLEARLY put together teams that compete and are superior to the mid-major teams we play. 7-0 against those squads the last 2 years. Much like Mase did in his tenure (and even Mason occasionally lost to Toledo or Memphis). Today is definitely an example of how we have improved as a program in the last 5 years.
This is true, but no coach here should be measured by how much they beat up the non-con scrubs. Gotta win rivalry games and conference games. It is progress though and I'm glad I'm not worried every September about which mid major team is going to beat the Gophers.

The next 4 games will tell us an awful lot. If we don't look competent in all 4 and win 2-3 of them...I think you can begin to see the writing on the wall.

Going into the season I saw 3-1 over this stretch as something we should expect. Hopefully we can still do that.

If we go 1-3 or 2-2 with a blowout loss....kill will begin to lose the fanbase and the media...once that happens you might as well move on...almost impossible for a college coach to rebuild in a toxic environment.

More Silliness

The next 4 games will tell us an awful lot. If we don't look competent in all 4 and win 2-3 of them...I think you can begin to see the writing on the wall.

Going into the season I saw 3-1 over this stretch as something we should expect. Hopefully we can still do that.

If we go 1-3 or 2-2 with a blowout loss....kill will begin to lose the fanbase and the media...once that happens you might as well move on...almost impossible for a college coach to rebuild in a toxic environment.

You need to stop as well.

I have more confidence in Kill than I have had in any coach since Holtz. Lou was probably the greatest self-promoter in the history of the sport, but the guy could coach. I feel the same way about Kill. He may or may not elevate the program to the heights we would like to see as fans, but he has a plan and he is going to tirelessly work that plan. I don't agree with parts of his approach, but seeing he's been coaching forever and I've never coached at all in any sport, I'll trust him. The big thing about him is that he's "all in" and I really enjoy seeing that commitment.

The Michigan game will tell us a lot. I expect the Wolves to be up, wanting to win one for the coach and to please 100,000+ fans. It won't be easy and we could be skunked, given that Devon Gardner has always had good games against us. Kill has elevated the defense, special teams and the running game, but we are woefully lacking in a decent passing game, amazingly so - last in the B14. I may be the only one who thinks Kill may be holding Limey back rather than the opposite. We'll all have a better sense of where the Gophers are by Saturday night.

The Michigan game will tell us a lot. I expect the Wolves to be up, wanting to win one for the coach and to please 100,000+ fans. It won't be easy and we could be skunked, given that Devon Gardner has always had good games against us. Kill has elevated the defense, special teams and the running game, but we are woefully lacking in a decent passing game, amazingly so - last in the B14. I may be the only one who thinks Kill may be holding Limey back rather than the opposite. We'll all have a better sense of where the Gophers are by Saturday night.

Agree about the Michigan game showing us where we stand. To the part in bold though I have heard this debate about Kill/Limegrover and one of them holding the other back or whatever. The only thing I would say to that is they have been coaching together for so long that I highly doubt either is holding the other back at this point. The philosophy is well laid out at this point and I have to believe that they are in sync with each other after 17 years or whatever it is that they have been together.

I have more confidence in Kill than I have had in any coach since Holtz. Lou was probably the greatest self-promoter in the history of the sport, but the guy could coach. I feel the same way about Kill. He may or may not elevate the program to the heights we would like to see as fans, but he has a plan and he is going to tirelessly work that plan. I don't agree with parts of his approach, but seeing he's been coaching forever and I've never coached at all in any sport, I'll trust him. The big thing about him is that he's "all in" and I really enjoy seeing that commitment.

I don't understand the "all in" comment. Does that mean something or differentiate him from most coaches? Most college football coaches are "just a little bit in"??

You're right - Kill has a plan. It's never resulted in him winning a single FBS bowl game, but he's got a plan. He's a stubborn guy who is surrounded by a bunch of loyalists. That can be good and bad. At this level, I think he needs to re-work some things. He needs to be dynamic and innovative. But he's got a plan. And he's going to work that plan, as you said. Good or not. Again and again and again. "I ain't changin'!"

Kill is 1 decent QB away from possibly having the Gophers over the hump. Defense has been outstanding & you can SEE what the Offense is capable of but it would need a decent passer in order to open up a potentially deadly running game. Last year when we played Nebraska & had them on their feet we ran the ball 15 times in a row & they couldn't stop it. Nebraska may not be coached like they were in the golden years but they're still by default fielding bigger, faster & more athletic players & yet they had no answer for us. NONE.

Kill may have to swallow his pride & get rid of Limegrover eventually but Kill's job in my opinion is safe this Season no matter what. We're one season removed from a very special & exciting season last year...

Kill is NOT on the hot seat. Living in Illinois I got to see what Kill did at NIU... & compete with teams & beat teams in superior conferences... you think he can't do that here? He's 1 decent QB away from that here. Look at what he's done with no real QB since he's been here... relax... he's fine...

He has to get ride of Limes though...

Kill is 1 decent QB away from possibly having the Gophers over the hump. Defense has been outstanding & you can SEE what the Offense is capable of but it would need a decent passer in order to open up a potentially deadly running game. Last year when we played Nebraska & had them on their feet we ran the ball 15 times in a row & they couldn't stop it. Nebraska may not be coached like they were in the golden years but they're still by default fielding bigger, faster & more athletic players & yet they had no answer for us. NONE.

Kill may have to swallow his pride & get rid of Limegrover eventually but Kill's job in my opinion is safe this Season no matter what. We're one season removed from a very special & exciting season last year...

Kill is NOT on the hot seat. Living in Illinois I got to see what Kill did at NIU... & compete with teams & beat teams in superior conferences... you think he can't do that here? He's 1 decent QB away from that here. Look at what he's done with no real QB since he's been here... relax... he's fine...

He has to get ride of Limes though...

I agree with most of this other than the part where Kill has to get rid of Limegrover. We've seen flashes of what this offense can do when our QB can complete a pass. See Neslon vs Nebraska and Indiana last year, or even the second half of the bowl game when Leidner played well.

If Leidner and Streveler continue to show they cannot pass this year, the only thing I can see Kill changing is QB, by bringing in a JUCO QB.

I always take a break from Gopherhole after a loss. I have yet to read a single post in this thread. The Gophers will lose again in 2014 and when they do, threads like this will return. But, the team continues to improve and I'll take a Jerry Kill team with 2 and three star recruits over a Brady Hoke team with 4 and 5 star dudes. If the wins and bowls continue to pile up, the recruits will follow. Just my opinion. Continue to hate, if you wish.

Yes, for several reasons, IMO, that have less to do with football than the answer you're probably looking for.

First, Jerry Kill is very loyal, sometimes to a fault, but that "Good Guy" mentality plays well in the great state of Minnesota. He genuinely seems to care about his players and assistant coaches, and they genuinely seem to care about him.

Second, Kill isn't getting a lot of blue chip athletes (at least not yet), but he's established that he is looking for "tough" players, hard workers: both on the field and in the classroom. He is recruiting and molding character, and making sure that the players have display it.

Third, Kill does not appear to be a threat to leave the school. Unlike Holtz and Mason before him, Minnesota appears to be likely to be his final destination, and this plays extremely well both in public perception and, as importantly, with recruits.

And, of course, he appears to be building a winning program, highs and lows along the way.

I don't agree with every decision he makes, not by a long shot. But yes, he is the right guy for this program.

When Devin Gardner drove Michigan down and scored, it was suddenly a two-score game with like 9 minutes to go.

I have to be completely honest. I was having "those thoughts".

I'm sorry, Coach Kill. I won't do that again.

When Devin Gardner drove Michigan down and scored, it was suddenly a two-score game with like 9 minutes to go.

I have to be completely honest. I was having "those thoughts".

I'm sorry, Coach Kill. I won't do that again.

On this one the announcers were going to great lengths on how Michigan could tie it up for overtime.

You couldn't miss "those thoughts" if you were listening to the TV.

Go Gophers! Get some rest!

Yes. He is a class act. When being interviewed after the game he addressed the woman as ma'am. Go Jerry.

Ski-U-Mah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On this one the announcers were going to great lengths on how Michigan could tie it up for overtime.

You couldn't miss "those thoughts" if you were listening to the TV.

Go Gophers! Get some rest!

As a long time Gopher fan, I have to admit that I was having some weird thoughts during the 4th quarter thinking the worst could happen. But, eventually, my rational side took over and knew that Coach Kill would at least play it safe and drain enough clock that a comeback (barring multiple onside kicks) was basically impossible. It's nice to have an intelligent coach that knows how to hold a lead.

Some coaches are successful and disliked (Saban/Harbaugh) others are successful, liked and respected Like Jerry Kill. I know that Coach Kill has not accomplished as much as coaches I listed but I like the path we are on and proud that he is our coach.

Top Bottom