Official Leidner vs. Streveler Megathread

Leidner has more than a mental problem right now. He has an ability problem. Anyone who believes Leidner's head is getting in the way of his physical ability is willfully lying to himself. Leidner is overwhelmed. Everyone knows it, including Leidner. It's not Leidner's fault that he's in the position that he's in, but he cannot handle his position either mentally or physically.

Let Streveler play on Saturday. See what the kid can do right now. He may not be able to do any better. If he cannot, then the season is lost anyway, so it won't matter who starts in any particular game.

A decent qb could get this team top 3 in the west. We have to find out if Streveler can be that guy because we already know Leidner is not that guy.

I think we should start CS5, if for no other reason than that he doesn't have a broken foot.

No broken foot? MEGATHREAD is back on!!!

Fuller sent out release that ML7 had broken bone in foot. Christensen later sends out release that there is no broken bone - toe injury. Marcus says his sources said bone in toe on left foot broke. Joe says his sources say no. Clear as mud.

Fuller sent out release that ML7 had broken bone in foot. Christensen later sends out release that there is no broken bone - toe injury. Marcus says his sources said bone in toe on left foot broke. Joe says his sources say no. Clear as mud.

So, at this point, either the foot or the toe is either broken or not broken?

Its fair to debate these two but really after one loss are we going to completely condemn Leidner? Terrible performance yes, but I think we should still try to keep our heads. Seeing Streveler is probably a good idea at some point but im not sure this early is the best thing.

Its fair to debate these two but really after one loss are we going to completely condemn Leidner? Terrible performance yes, but I think we should still try to keep our heads. Seeing Streveler is probably a good idea at some point but im not sure this early is the best thing.

Stop it. You taking the fun out of reading peoples' nonsense. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

This, the last thing we need is another QB change. You would think we would have learned already that switching QBs mid season has not panned out well for us in the distant past. We r quick to annoint are unproven qbs as the next coming of Jesus and equally as fast to conclude he's hopeless after a rough game or two. Christ sakes let the kid get a couple more games under his belt- while being fully healthy I might add-and then we can begin to gauge his progress. Honestly he didnt play much worse than anyone else on offense, they were all horrible.

Its fair to debate these two but really after one loss are we going to completely condemn Leidner?

Not just Leidner, some here are condemning the entire coaching staff as well as any QB currently on our roster. Kill's dog too, maybe.

Can't believe that Streveler is better than Mitch and would like to see some continuity at the QB position. Hope Mitch can learn to throw a catchable ball too. Those don't seem like controversial positions. The "however" comes thinking about sending an injured Leidner back out there against SJSU, when sitting him would give him an extra week to recover. Can Streveler be worse than a one-legged Mitch? Seriously?

Don't know what's going on over there and got to trust that the coaches should and do. That's why we pay them right?

We'll be sitting at TCF waiting to see what happens next Saturday night. Hope that all the whiners and those that keep whining about the whiners buy a G.D. ticket and are sitting in the stands too.

I fear Streveler is going to yield more of the same. It's worth the shot though. And I'm begging Limegrover to set up some short routes and let guys make plays in space. Not every throw needs to be 30 yards downfield. Let the QB establish a rhythm.

My thoughts, too - we need a short passing game, utilizing the backs, tight ends, receivers, with an occasional heave downfield to keep things honest. That should open up the running game. Our passing game is, and has been, atrocious.

Same situation with Martinez at Nebraska last season - coaches covered it up for weeks, but his toe was broken (I think).

My thoughts, too - we need a short passing game, utilizing the backs, tight ends, receivers, with an occasional heave downfield to keep things honest. That should open up the running game. Our passing game is, and has been, atrocious.

I can't believe no one at GH has thought of this before.:horse::horse::horse:

This, the last thing we need is another QB change. You would think we would have learned already that switching QBs mid season has not panned out well for us in the distant past. We r quick to annoint are unproven qbs as the next coming of Jesus and equally as fast to conclude he's hopeless after a rough game or two. Christ sakes let the kid get a couple more games under his belt- while being fully healthy I might add-and then we can begin to gauge his progress. Honestly he didnt play much worse than anyone else on offense, they were all horrible.

Thank you! Excellent post!

The problem is that I don't think we are getting the Mitch that everyone thought we were getting, including the coaching staff. I know that 95% of you, like me, have the Syracuse bowl game on tape. Go back and watch it and tell me that is the same player. Same person? Yes, but not the same player. The fire he had in that game, I think that is what led to him being named the starter. I think they make that decision whether Philip transfers or not. He was screaming at everyone, encouraging everyone, and played with a passion we have yet to see from him this year. That is the player I think we all expected and want back. As for this week, you have to sit him (in my opinion) because of the injuries and it's a game that we should be able to handle without him. If he is healthy for Michigan, then I think he starts because that player is in there somewhere and maybe the BIG season will bring that out of him.

I certainly understand why people want to pull the plug on him. Contrary to what some people have said, this isn't about "one bad loss." He threw for about 150 yards in the opener and about 70 yards the second game. People complaining about our QB play is justified, he had some terrible passes in those first two games and the bad passes certainly outnumbered the good passes. CS5 is definitely a gamer in my opinion, he has the hunger to play. However, if Mitch is healthy, I think we need his even limited experience during the BIG season. It does matter even though it's limited. Remember Philip at Wisconsin and the Red Rocket at the Big House as Freshman making their first start. True freshmen yes, but that experience matters and I would argue that going with CS5 at the Big House would not be the preferred scenario unless that is necessary because of injuries. My two cents.

I have never been a Leidner apologist. In January I said he was the worst starting QB for the Gophers in the last 40 years, and that Nelson transferring was a huge loss - and was mocked for it. In light of that, I still doubt that Streveler is the answer right now. Let's review the last 5 years of Minnesota QBs:

2010: Weber is terrible, play Gray
2011: Gray is terrible, give Shortell a chance
2012: Gray can't throw, play Nelson (Kill's anointed QB)
2013: Nelson is terrible, give Leidner a shot
2014: Leidner is terrible, give CS5 a chance (or Perra)
2015: ????

Fans always want the back-up QB because they need hope. In the 130 year history of football, how many times has a back-up QB come in because the starter was playing bad and turned a season around? Not many...

I'm not going to judge Leidner until he is 100% healthy and doesn't have a dumb brace on his knee. I'm going to wait until it's a big ten game too. If the Gophers were to have played TCU last year in Texas guarantee they lose that game too probably the same score and the we would have been on here last year making the same arguments about how bad our QBs are or how bad our coaching staff is and if somebody were to have said that the gophers are going to go 8-4 winning 4 conference games they would have been mocked for it. No last year our away game was against a terrible New Mexico St. team and we did not have a non conference opponent nearly as good as TCU especially on the road so we didn't find that room to necessarily complain earlier in the year but we ended up still doing great as the season went on. This was a good team and they beat us at their place. I believe this a team that will find our QB this year like they did last year with Nelson, even though he was still flimsy, they went with him and the gophers actually did well finishing off the season strong. This was only game 3 and the way the Big Ten is looking I believe we have a shot with a 7-9 win season yes i said possibly 9 shoot me down for it but you know what if it does happen i wouldnt be surprised. If Minnesota regroups and figures this QB thing out and Cobb gets to be 100% again, the gophers will improve as the season goes on just like last season, this gopher team will be fine and make it to a bowl and who knows maybe compete for that Division title. I have hope in my Gophers and have been a fan since i was born. I will cheer them on every week and even though I can get mad at them sometimes and things that Kill and the rest of his coaching staff does I know its for the good of the team. Go gophers and do us a favor kick Michigan's ass(pardon my language)in a couple weeks as well as those dang Badgers and Hawkeyes.

I have never been a Leidner apologist. In January I said he was the worst starting QB for the Gophers in the last 40 years, and that Nelson transferring was a huge loss - and was mocked for it. In light of that, I still doubt that Streveler is the answer right now. Let's review the last 5 years of Minnesota QBs:

Fans always want the back-up QB because they need hope. In the 130 year history of football, how many times has a back-up QB come in because the starter was playing bad and turned a season around? Not many...

I think you are right on. We've had a lot of awful QBs. What is interesting to me is that the coaches, who always claim there is competition, named Leidner starter before we even hit spring. Meaning there was no competition.

We need to get lucky on one of these recruits, because the best one named above was Weber, and I couldn't stand him...

I'll hold out for Doogie's tweet on this. :rolleyes:

What is interesting to me is that the coaches, who always claim there is competition, named Leidner starter before we even hit spring. Meaning there was no competition.

I thought that was strange too, especially considering Kills mantra of competition, and best guy plays. However, Kill is well aware of our recent qb history of mid-season changes. Ideally, he wanted Mitch to start only as a Junior or Senior, and probably feels starting him before he was ready has hindered his development. He doesn't want to do that again to yet another QB, especially if he is not a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. I dont believe CS5 is

Keep Mitch in, let the QBs under him learn and have the time to mature before they get thrown in the fire; time that Nelson, and Mitch himself weren't afforded but desperately needed.

MN Daily Column: Kill should start Streveler

If I’m Kill, I’m sitting Leidner so he can be away from the pressure for a game and look at the field from a different angle.

And who knows, maybe Streveler turns in a phenomenal performance and starts the Gophers’ Big Ten opener against Michigan.

From my perspective, starting Streveler against San Jose State is a low-risk, high-reward scenario.

Even if Streveler falters, Kill’s defense should be able to contain San Jose State’s offense on its home field and maybe even put up some points itself.

Whatever Kill decides to do, he needs to do it with conviction. His team just got thrashed 30-7, and it could have been a whole lot worse had TCU not been prone to turnovers.

Minnesota has one more game to shore up its offensive deficiencies and decide exactly who its savior is going to be.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/footb...reveler?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

john, on this, i agree with you.

typical Minnesota Nice statement. 'begin to gauge '??? begin??

100 guys are busting their tails for this team... who is ML that 99 should suffer because ML cannot throw a forward pass?

The problem is not Leidner, it's that we can't retain our QB's. If we had Shortell & Nelson on the team still we'd all be feeling a lot more confident. Leidner is a guy who should have gotten his shot as a R-Jr or R-Sr. When you throw young guys to the wolves you can ruin them. Much like in boxing, where you don't want to overmatch a talented young fighter.

This is the perfect opportunity to give Streveler a shot against SJSU. We should win regardless of who plays QB. If Streveler looks good then let him play in the Big House. If he struggles, then at least Leidner got an extra week to heal. Seems pretty simple to me. I guess it depends on what Leidner's injury actually is though.

Top Bottom