Official Leidner vs. Streveler Megathread

There was some talk about the quality of the TCU cheerleaders on another thread. Are they an option at QB for us?

Streveler looks and acts like he wants to play.

JMWZ- you are right about that. I've seen it in his eyes on the sidelines before. He WANTS in. ML's body language suggest something rather
neutral

I've been a (mild) Leidner apologist, but I just can't back him anymore after today. I don't think it's anything more complicated than he's just messed up between the ears. I simply hate it when the backup is always the most popular guy on the team, but in this case I'd give Streveler a shot and see what he can do. It would be difficult for him to do worse. Ideally, the staff would only like to pass ~15 times per game anyway, and I think Streveler's limitations could be mitigated in a scheme like that.

I've been a (mild) Leidner apologist, but I just can't back him anymore after today. I don't think it's anything more complicated than he's just messed up between the ears. I simply hate it when the backup is always the most popular guy on the team, but in this case I'd give Streveler a shot and see what he can do. It would be difficult for him to do worse. Ideally, the staff would only like to pass ~15 times per game anyway, and I think Streveler's limitations could be mitigated in a scheme like that.

I agree with everything you have said here. Summarizes my thoughts exactly.

+1

If they are going to pull the trigger on a QB switch this is the week to do it. Let Streveler get a game in against weaker competition before the Big Ten season hits (not that the Big Ten looks all that daunting right now).

I think the biggest difference with Leidner this year compared to last year is the running. It is the thing he does the best, and Kill/Limegrover largely took it away from him this year because they wanted to preserve his health.

So far this year, Leidner has rush 7, 5, and 9 times. The 9 rushes today were totally ineffective, I think because of his knee. Last year, Leidner rushed a total of 102 times for 477 yards and 7 TD's (I added the sack yardage back in that they remove for CFB). And that was as an occasional starter/relief QB.

I don't see any drop off with Chris Streveler, so I think we might as well let them run it more and if one gets injured you put in the other.

I think the biggest difference with Leidner this year compared to last year is the running. It is the thing he does the best, and Kill/Limegrover largely took it away from him this year because they wanted to preserve his health.

So far this year, Leidner has rush 7, 5, and 9 times. The 9 rushes today were totally ineffective, I think because of his knee. Last year, Leidner rushed a total of 102 times for 477 yards and 7 TD's (I added the sack yardage back in that they remove for CFB). And that was as an occasional starter/relief QB.

I don't see any drop off with Chris Streveler, so I think we might as well let them run it more and if one gets injured you put in the other.

That is a pretty big assumption to make given the limited amount of time he has been on the field. Not saying I am against the change but the coaches see these guys all the time and they seemed convinced the Leidner was their best option and based on reports it wasn't close between him and Streveler.

That is a pretty big assumption to make given the limited amount of time he has been on the field. Not saying I am against the change but the coaches see these guys all the time and they seemed convinced the Leidner was their best option and based on reports it wasn't close between him and Streveler.

That is true. I guess what I am saying is that Leidner has brought nothing to the table passing-wise. And he has not run as effectively/often as last year. When Streveler has been in the game, he looks like a quicker runner and he is an unknown as a passer. He did get the TD today, and then his incompletion looked pretty bad. I would like to see how he goes through progressions and how fast he gets rid of the ball.

The bottom line is I think we need to be running the ball with the QB more as that is the thing they do best...both Leidner and Streveler.

It seems that even Streveler seems to have more awareness in the pocket and of the situations all together than Leidner, way more natural to him. Everything with Mitch this year seems forced wether it be a pass or rush. Not embodying that IT factor that was being sold all offseason. The TD to Maxx last week was the only throw that has seemed natural/relaxed/worthy of a Power-5 QB all year.

Wouldn't be the first time a backup came in and outperformed the starter who was 'better'. Nothing to lose at this point.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more with you, I would say the coaching staff screwed it up pretty badly and the result is that Leidner is definately less effective than Streveler so far, and who knows maybe the third QB also. Let him be good at what he does best run the ball, if he gets hurt so be it.

We all realize that Streveler has 100% of his snaps in garbage time? However, I support playing him next week to give Leidner a chance to heal more.

I fear Streveler is going to yield more of the same. It's worth the shot though. And I'm begging Limegrover to set up some short routes and let guys make plays in space. Not every throw needs to be 30 yards downfield. Let the QB establish a rhythm.

Small sample size but Strev seemed more comfortable making adjustments at the LOS. He also did not stare down receivers like Leidner. Leidner locks in on one guy like no QB I've seen in a while.

Agree. However, I give coach Kill a 5% chance of making this decision, which is frustrating. Another situation where his stubbornness comes into play. My prediction next week we beat SJSt, and Leidner has a mediocre game leaving us in the same level of uncomfort.

My take:

Does it make sense to play Streveler? Yes, it does. Mentally, he's got it right now. He's excited but but composed and competitive. He takes the field by storm. That's why he's played well -- undeniably better than Mitch.

BUT Mitch still has to be the man. Mitch has to start, even if Streveler gets two, three, or even four series a game. Anyone who went to spring practice knows that Mitch is a better quarterback. Right now, it's a mental problem. Until he has the mental aspect figured out, I'd like to see Chris get some drives, but Mitch is the quarterback and leader of this team. Anyone who was at spring or fall ball will back me up.

In all honesty, the way the coaches handle the QB situation makes it seem as though Streveler was way behind Leidner, but I don't see that. I mean heck, Leidner is pretty bad, Streveler can't be that much worse. I think the coaches are so afraid of starting over, that they refuse to let any other QB have a chance. Who knows, maybe Leidner is good in practice... but once game time rolls around, and the game speed picks up, he freaks out. What ever the deal, he needs to know Streveler is right there, so he better shape up or lose the starting job.

Anyone who went to spring practice knows that Mitch is a better quarterback.

really royal?! i usually like your posts, but what happened in April has nothing to do with what's going on now. it's a LIFETIME between spring game and when practice starts in august. i'm not saying that streveler is better than mitch, but if he's worse, it has nothing to do with how they looked in the spring.

They need to bounce back against SJSU big time next week.

TCU's defensive team speed is simply too much. They stuffed the run and disrupted the Gopher's offenivse rythm.

It wouldn't have made a hill of beans who you put in besides Leidner today at QB. The Gopher looked very tentative and unsure of themselves.

We'll get TCU at TCF Stadium next year. They'll get their just payback. Mark my words.

When you have a run-first team, and you can't run, you're hosed.

Other team had better athletes, and as long as the coaches don't screw things up, the team with the better athletes usually wins.

They need to bounce back against SJSU big time next week.

TCU's defensive team speed is simply too much. They stuffed the run and disrupted the Gopher's offenivse rythm.

It wouldn't have made a hill of beans who you put in besides Leidner today at QB. The Gopher looked very tentative and unsure of themselves.

We'll get TCU at TCF Stadium next year. They'll get their just payback. Mark my words.

I would even take it a step further. The overall team speed of TCU was simply to much. I wonder how many points that TCU could have put up if they wanted to open up their playbook? When they wanted to they could throw fairly easily because of the size and speed difference of their wideouts.

On the original topic, our offense is based upon the QB being a threat to run the ball. If ML7 is not able to run the ball, it really cramps the offense. I also would have no trouble with CS5 getting a couple of series each half to give the opponent a different look. That was the part that was frustrating to watch yesterday in the blowout, the fact that he wasn't willing to try something different.

And, regarding next years game at TCF, if we don't significantly improve our team speed, I'm not sure how we narrow the gap between the two teams. We will have a much easier time playing the rest of our schedule this year than we did yesterday.

JMWZ- you are right about that. I've seen it in his eyes on the sidelines before. He WANTS in. ML's body language suggest something rather
neutral

I think it's interesting that you can say the exact same thing about last year, just with Nelson and Leidner. It seemed like Nelson would get discouraged quickly, and when Leidner came in he had some fire in him. Now it's the opposite. I think it rests a lot on the coaching philosophy, whether it be Coach Z or Limegrover. They are clearly being too conservative and non-imaginative in their game plans. How can that be fun trotting out there knowing you are going to run three straight plays and likely punt on your first possession??

I would even take it a step further. The overall team speed of TCU was simply to much. I wonder how many points that TCU could have put up if they wanted to open up their playbook? When they wanted to they could throw fairly easily because of the size and speed difference of their wideouts.

I think a lot of it had to do with our offense being unable to put a drive together. It seemed like Claeys couldn't be as aggressive as he wanted because our defense wasn't getting the rest it needed. They were out in terrible position drive in and drive out.

I think it rests a lot on the coaching philosophy, whether it be Coach Z or Limegrover. They are clearly being too conservative and non-imaginative in their game plans.

What have you seen from ML7 that makes you think he could handle a more imaginative game plan?

What have you seen from ML7 that makes you think he could handle a more imaginative game plan?

I'm not talking just about passes. Have we seen a run this year that wasn't a zone read or run up the gut out of the golden-I? It's been rare. Screens, jet sweeps, and passes without a lame attempt to include some play action element to them are non-existent in this offense.

Top Bottom