Official Leidner vs. Streveler Megathread

Please raise your hand if you are convinced we are starting receivers that would be starting for any other Big Ten team? We aren't. We have one guy on offense that would likely be starting for any other conference team, and that is a Tight End. So you take a too young and not overly talented or fast group of wide receivers, add in an average Offensive Line (all the koolaid said they'd be a team strength this year) and you add to it any number of too young and not overly talented QB's and what do you get? You get what we have. While I'd like to see CS5, I'm not convinced Johnny Manziel would be putting up 300+ yards a game passing with the rest of our offense (or pick any top QB). So I've come to the conclusion that we won't see a lot of improvement out of any of our QBs or the offense for the rest of the year. We're still 2 years from a legit offense, period.

You mean Cobb wouldn't be starting for Northwestern or Purdue?

Please raise your hand if you are convinced we are starting receivers that would be starting for any other Big Ten team? We aren't. We have one guy on offense that would likely be starting for any other conference team, and that is a Tight End. So you take a too young and not overly talented or fast group of wide receivers, add in an average Offensive Line (all the koolaid said they'd be a team strength this year) and you add to it any number of too young and not overly talented QB's and what do you get? You get what we have. While I'd like to see CS5, I'm not convinced Johnny Manziel would be putting up 300+ yards a game passing with the rest of our offense (or pick any top QB). So I've come to the conclusion that we won't see a lot of improvement out of any of our QBs or the offense for the rest of the year. We're still 2 years from a legit offense, period.

This sums up my feelings as well. Well done Sparlimb. Leidner certainly hasn't played well but our offensive troubles don't end with him. The only hope is the young guys develop quickly. Streveler, Perra, etc. won't be a quick-fix solution.

It should be pointed out, that DRM is the only QB on our roster with an offer from a "power 5" school(other that us). If we beat out Nebraska & Iowa for his services, that says something... In my humble opinion, we should thinking long term and seeing that he has the highest ceiling of all our QBs.

It should be pointed out, that DRM is the only QB on our roster with an offer from a "power 5" school(other that us). If we beat out Nebraska & Iowa for his services, that says something... In my humble opinion, we should thinking long term and seeing that he has the highest ceiling of all our QBs.

McKinzy's Nebraska offer was not at QB. I can't remember if Iowa was recruiting him as a QB or not.

McKinzy's Nebraska offer was not at QB. I can't remember if Iowa was recruiting him as a QB or not.

I assume Iowa was recruiting DRM for something else also as they are more of a pro-style team. I always thought he would end up somewhere else with us too.

I assume Iowa was recruiting DRM for something else also as they are more of a pro-style team. I always thought he would end up somewhere else with us too.
DRMs skill set seems to be perfect for our system though.

DRMs skill set seems to be perfect for our system though.

That he is. It would be cool to see a speedster back there. Im thinking a quicker version of Marquise, hopefully with a better grasp of the offense.

So are we writing DRM off along with CS5 now? This board is unreadable right now. BTW Sparlimb... Maxx, Cobb, Donovahn Jones, and maybe Epping could start for other B1G teams. Come to think of it, a few others could start for Purdue as well.

^^ Sparlimb - aside from any potential discussion of players on the margin or more subjective (i.e. our whole O-line), you're obviously ignoring our arguably top-4 in conference (when healthy) running back?

Bleed, bold doesn't come through on my phone, I'll answer later.

Fryguy, I am ignoring our running game which should be right around the middle of the Big Ten, I'd guess. Cobb could be valuable for other teams. D Jones eventually may be good enough to start, but not yet. Not a lot of these guys are old enough they should be starting. I like our potential, but think it won't mature until 2016.

typical Minnesota Nice statement. 'begin to gauge '??? begin??

100 guys are busting their tails for this team... who is ML that 99 should suffer because ML cannot throw a forward pass?

dboy u should change your name to dbag.

The biggest mistake Kill made last year was pulling Nelson way too early from the bowl game. Seemed odd at the time. Must have been something Kill didn't like about Nelson. I think he liked Leidner's toughness and leadership. So now, we're in the situation we're in. No one should have expected to beat TCU anyway, so what the heck is the big deal? 2-1 is right where this team should be, and for those thinking SJSU is a gimme, cupcake game, you're clueless. Not with a pretty injured starting QB and an unproven, no experience backup. Funny how people can absolutely lambaste this team for how bad it is and then in the next breath think there's no possible way we can lose to SJSU. Like it's a gimme. We suck, but we're all that. One week at a time boys and girls.

The biggest mistake Kill made last year was pulling Nelson way too early from the bowl game. Seemed odd at the time. Must have been something Kill didn't like about Nelson. I think he liked Leidner's toughness and leadership. So now, we're in the situation we're in.

He pulled Nelson because was stinking up the joint. Simple as that. He had about six good quarters as a Gopher. The rest were awful. Leidner got us back in that game. Sadly, he is worse than Nelson ever was right now. I don't expect anything better from Streveler, but at least the kid is healthy...for now. We really need a healthy Cobb.

He pulled Nelson because was stinking up the joint. Simple as that.

Come on! Overreact much?

Let's see...in the bowl game he was 2/7 for 18 yards, and added 14 MORE yards rushing. Oh...and zero interceptions.

Wow...he did suck in that game.

DRM completed 52% of his passes his senior high school season. I don't think he is ready for the Big Ten.

It's not good when the only QB Kill's ever started in a Gopher game who's worth a damn is Chandler Harnish. I say start Streveler. His play has been leveler.

He pulled Nelson because was stinking up the joint. Simple as that. He had about six good quarters as a Gopher. The rest were awful. Leidner got us back in that game. Sadly, he is worse than Nelson ever was right now. I don't expect anything better from Streveler, but at least the kid is healthy...for now. We really need a healthy Cobb.

- You're only saying that because Nelson was stinking it up in the bowl game.

- Similarly you're only saying Leidner looks worse right now than Nelson because it's true.

Hard to figure you out man. :confused:

- You're only saying that because Nelson was stinking it up in the bowl game.

- Similarly you're only saying Leidner looks worse right now than Nelson because it's true.

Hard to figure you out man. :confused:

I'm saying that Nelson was bad not only in the bowl game but the majority of his starts. He just was. He was having trouble down the stretch and Kill decided to change it up. Mitch is now struggling and banged up. Time for another change which will lead to another change. Hard to see Streveler staying healthy with his style. That's where we are at imo.

Also, let's not forget that of those 6 great quarters at QB by Nelson, weren't 3-4 of them vs. Indiana?

It's easy to look pretty good when faking a jet sweep leaves no one within 20 yards of Williams for a 70 yard TD.

Who cares about Nelson? Whether he was still a Gopher or not, it likely wouldn't have changed the outcome in Mankato, and he wouldn't be on the team anyways.

The offensive woes begin and end with Limegrover's playcalling, which has been awfully mediocre and doesn't play well to the team's strengths. Where are the RB screens? The short WR patterns? The sweep options? The offense seems ill prepared, and it shows in terms of lack of cohesion and confusion.

In the middle of the offensive woes are the QB and WRs. Leidner has shown almost no vision or decision making ability. Take the rollout-right, pass-back to the TE in the flat near-disaster play from the TCU debacle as a perfect example. Wolitarski was wide open about 12 yards in front of Leidner and well into 1st down territory; Leidner didn't even bother to notice, and instead blindly threw the pass back across the field to a covered TE and was lucky it wasn't a pick-6. Just awful. And if he can't run, and has a fumbling issue, then Matt clearly isn't the answer.

Streveler? Dunno either, we haven't seen enough of him. But at least he can run; and in Limegrover's "system", QB running is the main play that works. Given that, Steveler is the best answer at this time.

The WRs aren't helping much. They don't adjust well to the ball and haven't shown great hands or cutting ability. Still, they are not throwing those bad throws into coverage. Though it would help to begin making plays, such as not deflecting off-but-catchable passes up in the air for INTs.

The offenses on our opponents' teams - one of them FCS - have been embarrassingly superior to the Gophers' offense. A need for big changes was apparent the way 2013 began. Here we are in 2014 and the offense is even worse. Ouch.

Ok so if Leidner has turf toe and isn't 100% does he start on Saturday?

Or are we just gonna pretend that TCU never happened?

If Mitch is not 100% then Give the ball to Chris. this has nothing to do with who is better. just more healthy.

If Mitch is not 100% then Give the ball to Chris. this has nothing to do with who is better. just more healthy.
I agree with you 100% but if this were the case they would have played chris way earlier in the game if not possibly started chris last saturday. Coach Kill and the rest of the coaching just seem to care that Leidner is apparently the guy and he gets put in despite his injuries. We saw this with nelson last year when he was injured and should not have been playing same with cobb this past week.

Streveler? Dunno either, we haven't seen enough of him. But at least he can run; and in Limegrover's "system", QB running is the main play that works. Given that, Steveler is the best answer at this time.
My thoughts exactly, maybe they catch lightning in a bottle too.

I got a notification on my phone (from either espn or scorecenter) that said "Gophers Leidner will miss next game."

Any truth to this?... Reading the article it said Leidner is not 100%, Kill saying:
"i would never play anybody that was 82.9%"...
"i'm not going to risk a kid or quarterback or anything like that" and..
"they've got to be cleared by the trainer"...."I always tell the trainer, 'can he play full speed?' because this is a full speed game."

Top Bottom