Put in Perra

Alright. Are you aware that no one in Drew Brees's home state of Texas recruited him? Probably for the same reasons...not very big, not very fast, average arm. He turned out pretty good didn't he?
Pay too much attention to the combine stats and the wonderlic tests and you get Jamarcus Russell and Christian Ponder.

Alright. Are you aware that no one in Drew Brees's home state of Texas recruited him? Probably for the same reasons...not very big, not very fast, average arm. He turned out pretty good didn't he?

Dude, Perra is a great kid and has a bright future here. He can throw the ball very well, but he's not ready.

That's a pretty small sample size for comparison. What if we looked at all the quarterbacks in the last 20 years that did not receive any FBS/division one offers (for the record, Brees received two - Purdue and Kentucky) and ended up at a FBS/division one school - how many of those QBs went on to some sort of on-field success?

Again, hope the guy is everything Brees was and more (although that's an insanely high bar to set for him) - and it is possible that he is - but the likelihood of it being the case is low, and I would argue very low, based solely on the evaluations and decisions already made by coaching staffs (both in recruiting and in his short collegiate career so far).

Pay too much attention to the combine stats and the rorschach tests and you get Jamarcus Russell and Christian Ponder.

WACO — New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees said he doesn’t blame Texas or Texas A&M for not recruiting him out of Austin Westlake during his senior year.

Brees said he didn’t even think he’d start in high school and felt fortunate to land at Purdue after he tore his ACL late in his junior season.

Brees said he told his mother that he was going to quit football to pursue baseball.

“I said, ‘Mom, I don’t think I’m ever going to get a chance to play football because Jonny’s the stud and I’ll never beat him out,’” Brees said. “She said, ‘Just keep working hard and your opportunity will come.’

“A week later, it’s unfortunate, but Jonny Rodgers tore his ACL in the final scrimmage at Killeen. So all of a sudden I was thrust into the starting quarterback position and I never gave it up.”

And you do realize that Brees WAS recruited and offered a scholarship to Purdue, right? Perra is a walk-on.

So why don't you spend your energies researching all the walk-on QB studs in Power 5 conferences instead?

It is great that people see potential in Perra. That said, we need to build stability at QB. We do this by redshirting each and every QB as freshman. Shortell should have redshirted and Nelson absolutely should have redshirted. Redshirt Nelson and he does not transfer. Having a top three of Nelson, Leidner and Streveler, though young, provides at least average depth. I would suspect we are the only BCS team in the country that has a true freshman walk-on in the top 3.

Even if he turns out to be the best QB ever at Minnesota, we need him in 2018 much more than 2014. The cycle never ends if you keep playing true freshman.

I don't think it much mattered who u had at QB at TCU. The team wasn't ready for that level of intensity. There's something to be said for getting a team jacked up and ready to play. Even with that said, the way TCU's defense dominated every position of our offense, it wouldn't of much mattered who started that game at QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This pretty much sums up how I feel about this thread and the Perra comment.

I don't think it much mattered who u had at QB at TCU. The team wasn't ready for that level of intensity. There's something to be said for getting a team jacked up and ready to play. Even with that said, the way TCU's defense dominated every position of our offense, it wouldn't of much mattered who started that game at QB.

Talented kid Perra is and yes he can pass. That said the coaches know better than to throw another Freshman to the wolves. Did that once already, the O-line is banged up and your number one tailback has a gimpy wheel and some people want
to toss a true freshman out so he can get his brains beat out with no offensive line continuity and injury's starting to linger and pile up. This, tossing the True freshman quarterback in is a bad idea. This is why the professionals get paid and the rest of us sit around campfires drinking beer and drawing up plays, or try knew things out on Playstation. Everything sounds great in theory until you have to try and execute it.

I don't think it much mattered who u had at QB at TCU.

It absolutely mattered. At least 17 of TCU's points came off drives following Mitch's turnovers. We don't need a quarterback to thread the needle and hit every pass; we just need a quarterback who can limit the mistakes. If there were no turnovers from the QB against TCU last week that game would have been a lot closer.

Currently Mr. Perra is #3 on the depth chart. Sorry, but I have a hard time seeing how your #3 just leaps the others barring injuries or complete disasters from the #1 and #2. Some will argue that both reasons exist for our #1 but our #2 has neither had an injury this year or has looked bad. Perra will get his chance in due time but our #2 will likely be getting a chance soon if anyone will.

WACO — New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees said he doesn’t blame Texas or Texas A&M for not recruiting him out of Austin Westlake during his senior year.

Brees said he didn’t even think he’d start in high school and felt fortunate to land at Purdue after he tore his ACL late in his junior season.

Brees said he told his mother that he was going to quit football to pursue baseball.

“I said, ‘Mom, I don’t think I’m ever going to get a chance to play football because Jonny’s the stud and I’ll never beat him out,’” Brees said. “She said, ‘Just keep working hard and your opportunity will come.’

“A week later, it’s unfortunate, but Jonny Rodgers tore his ACL in the final scrimmage at Killeen. So all of a sudden I was thrust into the starting quarterback position and I never gave it up.”

And you do realize that Brees WAS recruited and offered a scholarship to Purdue, right? Perra is a walk-on.

So why don't you spend your energies researching all the walk-on QB studs in Power 5 conferences instead?

He was offered a total of 2 scholarships: Purdue and Kentucky.

I would use Perra if he was the next guy up and the guys a head of him were injured. Unless he beats out the guy in front of him in practice enough said about the situation.

he will get his chance as CS5 will not make the whole season running the way he does.(but we need him to run to open the offense up a little)

Mitch Liedner has been the starter since the bowl game last Winter, a whole 9 months. took charge and did what nobody else has done in years by leading voluntary workouts and throwing the ball around developing timing and knowledge of the people he plays with. Talk of some walk on freshman taking over the position is completely silly. Mitch will benefit from better
blocking and more snaps. He is the guy and will start very game if healthy.

Mitch Liedner is the guy and will start very game if healthy.
Yup.
But when Streveler, steps up, it will be energetic and hopefully effective offensive football, likewise when Perra steps up.

Why not Connor Krizancic? That kid can ball. Would like to see that kid get a chance behind center.

Mitch Liedner has been the starter since the bowl game last Winter, a whole 9 months. took charge and did what nobody else has done in years by leading voluntary workouts and throwing the ball around developing timing and knowledge of the people he plays with. Talk of some walk on freshman taking over the position is completely silly. Mitch will benefit from better
blocking and more snaps. He is the guy and will start very game if healthy.

I agree this is Mitch's team if he's healthy. I trust the coaches that we're starting the best QB. They want to win as much as we do. I even think Mitch will get better over the next 2 3/4 years.

That said, I don't for one second think that being the undisputed leader, holding captain's practices or coaching the younger players, means a damn thing if you're not producing yourself.

I agree this is Mitch's team if he's healthy. I trust the coaches that we're starting the best QB. They want to win as much as we do. I even think Mitch will get better over the next 2 3/4 years.

That said, I don't for one second think that being the undisputed leader, holding captain's practices or coaching the younger players, means a damn thing if you're not producing yourself.

If anybody on earth practices for 2 3/4 years as you stated they will get better at their craft no matter what it is.

The problem is that Mitch has a very LOW ceiling, and our alternatives are all young and unproven. The coaching staff has made a real mess out the QB situation and should have went after a transferring QB/JUCO last year just to add depth if nothing else. I'm sure that the reason they did not was to instill confidence in Mitch and trust that he would improve in the passing game. That back fired!!! I mean seriously, what was their back up plan if Mitch got hurt? And Mitch getting dinged up during the year is pretty probable based on his style of play.

I also get the "let's make Mitch our guy," thing to give him the confidence, but come on coaches seriously!!! They have seen game film on Mitch and been working with him for almost 3 years now and know what he brings to the table. It just baffles me that they didn't go out there and get some experienced competition for Mitch. AND they preach competition at all positions. Guess not at QB! What a mess.

If anybody on earth practices for 2 3/4 years as you stated they will get better at their craft no matter what it is.

The problem is that Mitch has a very LOW ceiling, and our alternatives are all young and unproven. The coaching staff has made a real mess out the QB situation and should have went after a transferring QB/JUCO last year just to add depth if nothing else. I'm sure that the reason they did not was to instill confidence in Mitch and trust that he would improve in the passing game. That back fired!!! I mean seriously, what was their back up plan if Mitch got hurt? And Mitch getting dinged up during the year is pretty probable based on his style of play.

I also get the "let's make Mitch our guy," thing to give him the confidence, but come on coaches seriously!!! They have seen game film on Mitch and been working with him for almost 3 years now and know what he brings to the table. It just baffles me that they didn't go out their and get some experienced competition for Mitch. AND they preach competition at all positions. Guess not at QB! What a mess.

100% true. well, 98% true cuz we don't now that DR jeKill and Mr Lime did not try to get a JC QB.

I didn't even have to research this...Tom Brady was a San Mateo CA QB that nobody in his home state really thought could play. Heck, he was lower on the depth chart at Michigan than Perra is here. He turned out pretty good didn't he?

He was also backing up two guys that would go on to play into the NFL in Brian Griese and Scott Dreisbach, and I'm not really sure about your assertion that "nobody in his home state really thought he could play." He did get MVP at the Cal football camp (and I'm fairly certain, an offer) along with interest from USC, UCLA, Colorado, Oregon and Texas.

"People often forget that Tom Brady was actually a highly rated prospect coming out of high school. While the star system didn’t exist at the time, and there were far fewer publications producing rankings, where he was rated was consistent with a modern day solid four-star prospect. After his redshirt year, Michigan signed top 100 prospect Jason Kapsner, however. This was then closely followed by the verbal pledge from local superstar Drew Henson and most fans had already written off Brady before he had a chance to throw a single pass. But at the end of the day, yes, Tom Brady was a highly rated prospect in high school and he certainly lived up to that billing."

http://www.maizeandbluenews.com/ind...-as-michigans-best-recruiting-class&Itemid=94

For the record, I'm not saying Perra is going to be anything. All I'm saying is we've seen Gray, we've seen Nelson, we've seen Leidner, we've seen Streveler- they are all "run first" QBs and none of them have made this offense work in conference or against quality competition. Last I looked, this is supposed to be big time college football. The coach's job is not to nurse players' egos and let the team be damned for another year- it is to find kids that can play winning football NOW. Jerry Kill may have to grudgingly accept the fact that he isn't running isn't a directional school program anymore and raise his expectations.

The coach's job is not to nurse players' egos and let the team be damned for another year- it is to find kids that can play winning football NOW. Jerry Kill may have to grudgingly accept the fact that he isn't running isn't a directional school program anymore and raise his expectations.

Didn't Nelson leave in part because coach wouldn't nurse his ego and was going to make him compete for the job against Leidner? I don't remember him nursing Barker's ego. Or Hageman's when he was suspended.

Well, I may be using a little hyperbole. But you know what I find encouraging. This thread has a lot of interest. That tells me I'm not the only one who sees that the QB problem at the U is weighing this program down. And that it needs to be solved.

So far Perra has been favorably compared to Brees and Brady.

Let's blow this thing out and bring in Montana and Elway.

So far Perra has been favorably compared to Brees and Brady.

Let's blow this thing out and bring in Montana and Elway.

Yeah, I just don't get it. I get the angle that he was lightly recruited but come on he's in his first year and hasn't played a snap!

I would like to see the Gophers go to a more traditional drop back passer here in the future.

That, my friend, is a mindless post. Nobody is saying that Perra is another Brees or Brady. The comparison was in regards to the fact that none were as highly recruited as you might expect, and that recruiting status is not always a predictor of QB ability or success.

Top Bottom