Put in Perra

BJN

Reaction score
Believe it or not, a QB needs to be able to throw the football.

we will burn 3 losses before calling 'next' for QB..

i have already stated this.. mentally prepare for this.. Perra will not get the call.

CS5 deserves a chance before Perra.

CS5 deserves a chance before Perra.

cs5 running the option against TCU?
i said in mid-week ( it was deleted by the mods ), that CS5 would be lit up if that happened.

Oh so just because he's a true freshman walk-on means he isn't ready or better than Leidner?

Ummm, yeah pretty much. Remind me again what Perra's best offer was coming out of high school.

Live or die with ML?????
No, make the changes necessary to salvage what we can. He doesn't have that much experience, anyway. The hoopla about him being the Leader should never have been circulated. Didn't help him or the team, as it turned out. My guess is coaches will stubbornly stick with him and pay the penalty (losing season).

I'm all for playing Perra if he's good; next year. Let's not roll out another young kid in a no win situation. Leidner and/or Streveler or some combination thereof get us to wherever it is we're going this year. Has Leidner looked like he's having any fun /and or shown any spark this year? I like Streveler's zest and spark if nothing else.

Perra needs to redshirt. It is best for him and the team that he gets acclimated to college, learns the playbook, and learns the game by practicing and watching tape.

Next year let him have the opportunity to win the job.

Put in a bucket of ****. It'd be better than ****ing Mitch.

Nice classy comment about a 20 yr old kid trying his best- yah he's played poorly, and probably shouldn't have played this week but nothing warrants such a comment. I'm sure his dad would like to meet u.

Perra needs to redshirt. It is best for him and the team that he gets acclimated to college, learns the playbook, and learns the game by practicing and watching tape.

Next year let him have the opportunity to win the job.

I'm a huge Perra fan, but I totally agree with this.

Was at the Gophers scrimmage and, for the first time in years, saw a QB drop back, calmly read the coverage, and deliver a ball accurately out of the break- for a TD no less. That QB was Jacques Perra. I even told him how impressed I was afterwards. I think Coach Kill noticed as well.
After following UMD's Chase Vogler for years, I realized that good QB play is not about size or 40 times, it's about making plays. It's about knowing how to set up a play sequence, when to hand off and when to keep, how to recognize coverages and match-ups, how to place a ball for run after catch opportunities, and when to throw it to a receiver who might be open only a few steps. Notice I didn't mention running, which is a good skill to have. But I'll take Drew Brees and you can have Khaliq, Cockerham, Nelson, Leidner, Streveler etc.
By the way, I witnessed Perra single-handedly demolish a very good Maple Grove team through the air in last season's playoffs- even when Roseville had NO running game. It was impressive.
Maybe he's no Drew Brees but, right now, he's the closest thing the Gophers have to a QB that seems to understand the position. I say give him a shot. Who knows, we might just discover a diamond in the clouds of rubber.

charter member of the 'U needs a qb' club and I find this thread dumb.

I think the "what offers did he get" people are missing this...
Jacques Perra. 2013 first team All-State. 2013 MN Gatorade Player of the Year. 2013 Star Tribune and Pioneer Press Metro Player of the Year. 2013 stats in 6A- 61% pass completion, class leading 3,171 yards, 31 TD's, 4 INT's.
Hardly an underachiever, under-the-radar prospect.

And for the "he's not ready" people. Really? Like Russell Wilson wasn't ready for the NFL. You show me a kid that's a natural QB and I'll show you someone you can plug in and play.

Was at the Gophers scrimmage and, for the first time in years, saw a QB drop back, calmly read the coverage, and deliver a ball accurately out of the break- for a TD no less. That QB was Jacques Perra. I even told him how impressed I was afterwards. I think Coach Kill noticed as well.
After following UMD's Chase Vogler for years, I realized that good QB play is not about size or 40 times, it's about making plays. It's about knowing how to set up a play sequence, when to hand off and when to keep, how to recognize coverages and match-ups, how to place a ball for run after catch opportunities, and when to throw it to a receiver who might be open only a few steps. Notice I didn't mention running, which is a good skill to have. But I'll take Drew Brees and you can have Khaliq, Cockerham, Nelson, Leidner, Streveler etc.
By the way, I witnessed Perra single-handedly demolish a very good Maple Grove team through the air in last season's playoffs- even when Roseville had NO running game. It was impressive.
Maybe he's no Drew Brees but, right now, he's the closest thing the Gophers have to a QB that seems to understand the position. I say give him a shot. Who knows, we might just discover a diamond in the clouds of rubber.

How could we ever turn that down?:rolleyes:

I think the "what offers did he get" people are missing this...
Jacques Perra. 2013 first team All-State. 2013 MN Gatorade Player of the Year. 2013 Star Tribune and Pioneer Press Metro Player of the Year. 2013 stats in 6A- 61% pass completion, class leading 3,171 yards, 31 TD's, 4 INT's.
Hardly an underachiever, under-the-radar prospect.

It's possibly more concerning that he was a high-profile player in high school and didn't get offers. If he muddled away in some tiny conference, sure, but the fact that he was the top player in the state and didn't get offers says that coaches saw and were aware of him, they just didn't think he was worthy of a scholarship.

Not saying he can't be an impact player, just saying that it's not a strong argument you're making here.

Top Bottom