What Incomming 2015-2016 player are you most excited for?

What Incoming 2015-2016 player are you most excited for?

• Total voters

USTHoops

Reaction score
Thought I'd make this poll since our great class came to an end yesterday.

I'm going with Nwankwo. Nothing better than an athletic C that wants to dunk whenever possible. He's physically ready to contribute right away and comes across as a really good dude. I'm almost equally excited for the Guards! :)

Jarvis Johnson - hometown kid with other quality offers staying home to play for the U (and NOT going to Wisconsin).

Still holding out hope we get AI. I know it's far fetched. But with him you could be looking at a potential starting 5. At best by their freshman year, at worse, by senior year. Also keep in mind that Dorsey, Dupree, and Nwankwo will all play in those prep leagues. To put it in MLB terms, quadruple A. Literally playing against the best players in high school basketball night in and night out will make them the most college ready. That said, I'm most looking forward to Nwankwo. I think his game translates the easiest. What he'll be asked to do on the court, he was born with. Run, jump, & be big.

Jarvis all the way

I had to go JNBall. I mean, how can you not?

Jarvis with his fantastic handle and outstanding athleticism. There aren’t many 6-0 PGs with his above the rim ability. Also we have known about him since his freshman and sophomore year and there is just something extremely satisfying about landing guys that you have known about forever instead of a guy just popping up that you have only known for a month or two.

I had to go with Lofton. He has the advantage of being round the coaches this year and already has played at this level. I think he makes the biggest impact next year.

Jonathon is my favorite! Ever since he committed here on Gopherhole!

I'd love to see Jarvis succeed here though. Need a Minnesta recruit to rise to the heights and draw future Gophers to Pitino!

Can we lock him to an extension for the next twenty years? I see all upside with that guy!

What I am most excited about? The fact that this poll is a meaningful competition without an obvious answer!!

Dorsey seems like the player that most of the national recruiting guys like the most out of the bunch, so I'm really excited to see what he can do. I think he's probably a 4 year starter at PG. Nwankwo is a close second; it was difficult seeing Mo and EE man the 5 last year after seeing Mbakwe the year before. I love athletic and aggressive big men. Jarvis will be very fun to watch and will give Minnesota kids someone to really pull for (along with Lofton). McBreyer could end up being the best pro prospect if he actually grows to 6'6 or 6'7 like his doctors predict.

I am looking forward to seeing Jonathan Nwankwo's name misspelled on this board in fun and exciting new ways for years to come.

After watching the announcement for Johnson, I had to go with him. Just a great kid who wants to play college ball close to his family. It was refreshing to hear.

Lofton, in the words of Charlie Murphy "the cat can ball."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lofton, interested to see what he can do, I could never understand why he was rated so much lower than Coleman when he had much better basketball skills, I always figured it was athleticism and quickness, it will be fun to see if his skills can translates to the big time.

I took McBrayer because he is a bit of an unknown to me. Seems to have all the skills Pitino is looking for in a wing player. Its a nice balanced group of players that will hopefully develop nicely for the U.

Because the only one who will log significant minutes (20+) is Lofton (IMO) I'm most excited for next year and watching him develop. Pitino has stated hes the most talented on the roster TODAY, better than Dre, better than lil Dre, better than anyone we got on the team. Bring in 4 freshman, and he's going to still be the best guy on the team.

What can a year of tutoring from Pitino on the finer points of the game and a fast paced offense where jacking up shots is encouraged, not discouraged, going to do for this kids confidence? Playing in his hometown in front of his best friends, he's going to be out to prove a lot of people wrong and we all get to benefit.

I think some of you are all overselling that a bunch of 19yr olds are going to come in here and be major contributors. Wonk-Woah, because of roster deficiencies, probably has the best chance at being a starter out of the box, and if not a starter, he's gonna log some minutes. Mason and Lofton are ahead of our incoming two guards at least from day one, I could MAYBE see Jarv or Dorsey starting by the end of the year or in cupcake games as a pg, but I doubt it. Mason was a 3 star recruit, is a combo guard, and will have a full year under his belt. Lofton is our "best player", and you've got McNeil who will be a junior in the mix, and will have logged many minutes ahead of all these guys.

Lofton for the poll, Dorsey for the future based on our offensive style and his ability.

Because the only one who will log significant minutes (20+) is Lofton (IMO) I'm most excited for next year and watching him develop. Pitino has stated hes the most talented on the roster TODAY, better than Dre, better than lil Dre, better than anyone we got on the team. Bring in 4 freshman, and he's going to still be the best guy on the team.

What can a year of tutoring from Pitino on the finer points of the game, and a fast paced offense where jacking up shots is encouraged not discouraged going to do for this kids confidence? Playing in his hometown in front of his best friends, he's going to be out to prove a lot of people wrong and we all get to benefit.

I think some of you are all overselling that a bunch of 19yr olds are going to come in here and be major contributors. Wonk-Woah, because of roster deficiencies probably has the best chance at being a starter out of the box, and if not a starter, he's gonna log some minutes. Mason and Lofton are ahead of our incoming two guards at least from day one, I could MAYBE see Jarv or Dorsey starting by the end of the year or in cupcake games as a pg, but I doubt it. Mason was a 3 star recruit, is a combo guard, and will have a full year under his belt. Lofton is our "best player", and you've got McNeil who will be a junior in the mix, and will have logged many minutes ahead of all these guys.

Lofton for the poll, Dorsey for the future based on our offensive style and his ability.

+1...

Posters often overlook Mason because he is a short-ish combo gaurd, but I expect good things from him especially after a year in the system.
He averaged 14.5 points as a pg for a highschool team that was stacked with talent, I believe they had 6 players get D1 scholarships.
I hear him and the other gaurds are going at eachother hard during practice and scrimmages.

+1...

Posters often overlook Mason because he is a short-ish combo gaurd, but I expect good things from him especially after a year in the system.
He averaged 14.5 points as a pg for a highschool team that was stacked with talent, I believe they had 6 players get D1 scholarships.
I hear him and the other gaurds are going at eachother hard during practice and scrimmages.

Mason is gonna be the man. Justin Cobbs esque. I remember being in the barn for an open gym when I was a young coach in the hs community (like 4 years ago....) and watching him shoot around while a bunch of us hacks played. He was raw, and small at that point. He developed into quite the weapon at PG. My expectations for Nate is a J Cobbs type progression.

I had never heard of Zach Lofton, or Joey King for that matter, until they expressed an interest in joining the Gophers. After watching a few minutes of Illinois State game film, I could tell Lofton is one of those difficult to find 3 level scorers who is going to put the ball up as soon as he steps on the court. I really like our 4 new recruits, but IMO Lofton is the difference maker.

I have always liked Mason also. I was very impressed with his offensive performance when he scored 30 points during that All-Star game. I don't care what kind of game it is, 30 points is a lot of points.

Dupree McBrayer. Athletic, good on defense, good perimter shooter, slashes well, high potential. What's not to like?
*It's spelled INCOMING btw :)

What if Josh Martin posts a line similiar to his HS career! That would be something.

Dupree McBrayer. Athletic, good on defense, good perimter shooter, slashes well, high potential. What's not to like?
*It's spelled INCOMING btw :)

Whoops! I was 1 for 2 on the title and poll question

I'm excited about all of them and hope all of them play well. I voted for McBrayer, though, because he seems to be the recruit with the most potential to be seen as "underrated."

Because the only one who will log significant minutes (20+) is Lofton (IMO) I'm most excited for next year and watching him develop.

With 8 freshmen and sophs on the roster next year and no true point guard who isn't a freshman, I doubt that is true. Pitino has said that Mason's game is a lot like Andre Hollins' game and Andre wasn't so great as a point. Iowa started Gesell as a freshman and he had reasonable success so I don't see why the Gophers couldn't start one of their two freshman points next year.

+1...

I don't know that anyone is overlooking him, but the scouting report on him is that he is much more of a scorer than playmaker. They just recruited two highly rated point guards so I don't think they will be too inclined to sit them next year. My guess is that Mason plays a significant amount but he probably battles for the off-guard position.

With 8 freshmen and sophs on the roster next year and no true point guard who isn't a freshman, I doubt that is true. Pitino has said that Mason's game is a lot like Andre Hollins' game and Andre wasn't so great as a point. Iowa started Gesell as a freshman and he had reasonable success so I don't see why the Gophers couldn't start one of their two freshman points next year.

In My Opinion Gesell was a pass first point guard on a team with a bunch of scoring options and that made it easier for a freshman point guard to play right away. I'm also unaware of Iowas guard lineup at the time, did they have 2 viable combo guards in front of him that he beat out? It would be a lot easier for a pass first PG to come in and start as a freshman and not turn the ball over habitually especially if he had a bunch of scoring options on the court with him. I don't see that being the case with Jarv and Dorsey, unless someone steps up as a big scorer next year, every position is going to have to be able to score in 2016. Neither Dorsy or JJ, to the best of my knowledge, have been described as true pass first point guards. Most reports I've read have shown the propensity to score and the ability to penetrate and finish at or above the rim. With that all being said I expect that Mason will get the minutes at PG even though he's more like Andre Hollins (who played his best year in college as a sophomore PG playing out of position) simply because the two other options have very similar games and one less year in the system. Not saying they wont all play even minutes, I just don't expect any of the underclassmen to log more than 20 minutes.

If I'm wrong, its likely a good thing because they are better than Mason, who I think is being severely under rated due to some Jarv love.

Top Bottom