What Incomming 2015-2016 player are you most excited for?

What Incoming 2015-2016 player are you most excited for?

• Total voters
In My Opinion Gesell was a pass first point guard on a team with a bunch of scoring options and that made it easier for a freshman point guard to play right away. I'm also unaware of Iowas guard lineup at the time, did they have 2 viable combo guards in front of him that he beat out? It would be a lot easier for a pass first PG to come in and start as a freshman and not turn the ball over habitually especially if he had a bunch of scoring options on the court with him.

With that all being said I expect that Mason will get the minutes at PG even though he's more like Andre Hollins (who played his best year in college as a sophomore PG playing out of position) simply because the two other options have very similar games and one less year in the system. Not saying they wont all play even minutes, I just don't expect any of the underclassmen to log more than 20 minutes.

Excerpts from ESPN scouting reports (can't reprint the whole thing):

Johnson:

Johnson is a true point guard that can not only get teammates involved, run the offense but can create as well. Johnson is very talented but is learning how to manage the game which he is very capable.

Dorsey:

There's a miniature Rajon Rondo-type quality in his game. He's going to want to press, run and defend but at the same time he's got the savvy to play in the halfcourt. Should he add the ability to shoot, we're talking about a likely high-major guard.

Mason:

Mason is like a shooting guard with point guard size......Mason is an excellent scorer that can slide over and help at the point although he thinks score first and should because it is his greatest strength.

I think there will be adequate scorers (Morris, Mason, Lofton, and King) and maybe even Konate and Martin will score more than expected when the freshmen arrive next year. Furthermore, the freshmen points, like Gesell as a freshman, won't be forbidden to score. Gesell averaged almost 9 points a game as a freshman and Johnson might be capable of doing even more than that.

The year before Gesell joined the Iowa team, Marble was handling much of the point duties (they had another JUCO transfer senior who was pretty fair as a junior but had numerous health issues as a senior and was mostly ineffective). Gesell started from day one (that's what he was recruited for) and that freed up Marble to focus more on scoring. The backup point guard was another freshman who played more as a freshman than last year.

Andre Hollins may have had his best scoring year as a soph, but he was not good as a point guard that year. When I attended a couple of games, I could hear people in the stands yelling "we need a point guard out here" and the Gophers were often mind numbingly awful that year in the half court. It's not surprising that Pitino went after a point guard hard his first summer and immediately started Mathieu there.

I haven't watched any film lately, but no doubt in my mind, Jarvis is a pass first, true point guard. I have no idea how the competition will shake out between Dorsey, Jarvis, and Mason but in 2015/16 Coach P. will finally start 5 of his type players and have a bunch more on the bench.

Let me make a quick prediction. Jarvis will explode his senior year, just like Josh Martin did. I don't believe there are 100 seniors better than him.

cj - don't know why I haven't, but I haven't read much from the recruiting sites, mostly from what our experts here at GH tell me. I like your/their version of the story and hope its true. As much as I say I don't think either will play 20+ minutes, its likely a good thing if they do. And I agree with Andre's best scoring season not solving the teams need for a PG. I love me some solid PG play.

Howie - that's also a best case scenario. I hope JM didn't blow up because he had no one else around him or because the competition was weak. I hope he comes on the court and makes me wrong about Joey King as well.

Fact remains, right or wrong, in both instances I think we are fine at the positions. I have full faith in Mason and King to produce at a high level in their Sophomore and Senior years respectively.

Here's hoping to me being dead wrong on the utilization of the 1 and 4 positions in 2016

Buggs - I'll go with the underdog, he will put it all together next year.

Now that would be fun. While it's a long shot, guys like Gaston and Buggs are the types we need to have surprise us (along with Carlos Morris) to make this squad take a big jump.

+1...

Posters often overlook Mason because he is a short-ish combo gaurd, but I expect good things from him especially after a year in the system.
He averaged 14.5 points as a pg for a highschool team that was stacked with talent, I believe they had 6 players get D1 scholarships.
I hear him and the other gaurds are going at eachother hard during practice and scrimmages.

Q: Is guard Nate Mason the freshman most ready to help now?
A: Pleasant surprise. Competition is a great thing as long as guys stay patient. What I love about Nate is, he's not really a pure point guard but he's willing to play any spot. He's kind of like Andre (Hollins), where he's like, 'Just get me on the court and let me do what I do.' Great potential. The only difference between him and Andre is he's not a great shooter yet, but I think he'll get there. Nate has the potential to be a really good defender. He's like Andre's frame but maybe an inch taller at 6-3. He can play multiple positions, maybe even (swingman) in a pinch if we're going small. He can certainly dribble. The only pure point guard we have in our program is DeAndre (Mathieu), but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

On the gophers official roster he is listed at 6'-1", but said to be 6'-3", only an inch shorter than Zach. There is going to be a good competition between those two for playing minutes the following season.. along with McNeil and the other two freshman for SG minutes.

GopherHole experts think he is not worth a scholly, so I admire your opinion. :cool02:

The Curious Case of Charles Buggs: Most (not all) have completely written him off and his name rarely comes up in any discussions about next years' production, etc. Anything he can add will be gravy, and if he blows up for a few games it's like finding a new scholarship. Charles, if you're reading this, let's do it!!!

Q: Is guard Nate Mason the freshman most ready to help now?
A: Pleasant surprise. Competition is a great thing as long as guys stay patient. What I love about Nate is, he's not really a pure point guard but he's willing to play any spot. He's kind of like Andre (Hollins), where he's like, 'Just get me on the court and let me do what I do.' Great potential. The only difference between him and Andre is he's not a great shooter yet, but I think he'll get there. Nate has the potential to be a really good defender. He's like Andre's frame but maybe an inch taller at 6-3. He can play multiple positions, maybe even (swingman) in a pinch if we're going small. He can certainly dribble. The only pure point guard we have in our program is DeAndre (Mathieu), but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

On the gophers official roster he is listed at 6'-1", but said to be 6'-3", only an inch shorter than Zach. There is going to be a good competition between those two for playing minutes the following season.. along with McNeil and the other two freshman for SG minutes.

He looks 6'1" to me, maybe their is confusion based on what hair style he is sporting. (his afro probably had some confused)
None the less, your point is still valid, a lot of competition and scoring ability in the backcourt is a good thing.

I think Pitino has a lot of interchangable parts in the positions 1,2,3 as I'v heard him applaud the playmaking ability of Squirrel and Zach. I think it will be hard to predict who typically brings the ball up and who plays off of it or what kinda line ups we will have.
Like Amelia I think we will see small line up too, because of all the back court options.

He looks 6'1" to me, maybe their is confusion based on what hair style he is sporting. (his afro probably had some confused)
None the less, your point is still valid, a lot of competition and scoring ability in the backcourt is a good thing.

I think Pitino has a lot of interchangable parts in the positions 1,2,3 as I'v heard him applaud the playmaking ability of Squirrel and Zach. I think it will be hard to predict who typically brings the ball up and who plays off of it or what kinda line ups we will have.
Like Amelia I think we will see small line up too, because of all the back court options.

Nice to hear that about Squirrel.

I can't think of where, but he was listed at 6'-3" somewhere else too and in another thread their is a post about announcers saying he was 6'-2" during a game. Maybe it is the hair, who knows look forward to seeing him, would be a plus though if he really is taller than Andre.

Top Bottom