Q&A Jarvis Johnson on Committing to Home Town Gophers: Hopefully I can start a trend

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A Jarvis Johnson on Committing to Home Town Gophers: Hopefully I can start a trend

Q&A: Jarvis Johnson on Committing to the Home Town Gophers: "Hopefully I can start a trend."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/419426?referrer_id=

Jarvis Johnson, a 6-foot-1 senior point guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, committed to Minnesota at a press conference at the school, giving the Gophers their fourth commitment for the Class of 2015.

Gopher Hole caught up with Johnson for an interview about his commitment.

Johnson helped lead the Islanders to its third straight Class AAA championships in March as they finished 26-3 this year and won its last 23 games. He is hoping to tie a Minnesota state record with a fourth straight title this season.

Johnson visited Minnesota last weekend and had visits set with Baylor, UNLV, Wichita State and Wisconsin, but cancelled those plans as he made his college choice Friday afternoon at his high school.

Gopher Hole: How does it feel to have the announcement done?

Jarvis Johnson: It feels good. It is a relief. The process was a long time, but I am happy that it is over. I'm glad that I made the decision that I did make.

Gopher Hole: You said earlier that you made the decision Monday. How hard was it to keep it quiet? I think that most people figured it out since you had only taken one visit, but how hard was it to not let it out?

Jarvis Johnson: Oh, it was kind of hard, especially with the friends that I have. They kept asking me "why is that I hear that you are committing on Friday." I'm like "no big deal." I am just excited right now. It was hard to keep it a secret, I guess.

Gopher Hole: When did you let the coaches know?

Jarvis Johnson: Throughout the week, little by little. Didn't do it right away, but little by little, I let them know.

Gopher Hole: Did you want to do a press conference or would you rather have not done this?

Jarvis Johnson: Oh, no, I am happy that I did this. I can admit that I was nervous, but it was all fun.

Gopher Hole: You are going to have to get used to it in college, right?

Jarvis Johnson: I am going to have to.

Gopher Hole: Now that you have gotten this over, is it going to make it a lot easier to focus on your senior year?

Jarvis Johnson: Oh, yes. School work, staying on top of my work. Enjoying my senior season and trying to win another state championship. Just try to relax a little bit.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to the other four schools yet?

Jarvis Johnson: A couple. Not really.

Gopher Hole: How hard was that to do to tell them no? Was that kind of hard?

Jarvis Johnson: It was. Knowing that I was some team's number one prospect, it was hard. They had been there from the start, but I just felt comfortable at home.

Gopher Hole: How big do you think it is for Minnesota kids to stay in Minnesota?

Jarvis Johnson: Oh, that is big. In the past few years, not a lot of kids got to stay home and their families were kind of struggling to see them in college. I wanted to be the first to lay it down and hopefully, I can start a trend.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to be talking to some kids like Alex Illikainen, who you played in AAU and is considering Minnesota? Have you talked to him much during the recruiting process?

Jarvis Johnson: I did a little bit. He was telling me that he just wants to take his visits and see where he fits best. I am just going to let him do his thing.

Gopher Hole: You had the heart condition a few years ago. Right after that, would you have ever imagined that this would be happening today?

Jarvis Johnson: No, to be honest. Especially after they told me that I couldn't play basketball again. This is just a relief. Like I said, I thank God for everything.

Gopher Hole: Does that show you that all the hard work that you put in has paid off at the end of the day?

Jarvis Johnson: Oh, yes, it does. Especially for my family. I wouldn't be in this position today, if not for them.

Gopher Hole: I've never asked you about this, but do you still seeing doctors about the heart condition?

Jarvis Johnson: Yes. I go every six months to get checked out. Everything has been going well. Good as new. It was more comfortable being here knowing that my doctors are here also. It was just a plus-plus here.

Gopher Hole: You have a defibrillator inside you, but you have never had any other incidents, right?

Jarvis Johnson: No. That was the only one.

Gopher Hole: Now the focus will be on getting that fourth title. How big would that be if that does happen?

Jarvis Johnson: Oh, man. It would be big. Only one person, maybe Lawrence McKenzie, is the only one to do it. Him and I chatted about it a little bit, so that would be great. That is my goal for my senior year.

Thanks Chris. Another good interview. Good job.

Thanks for the interview. Definitely gets me excited for the season!

Top Bottom