2018 BTT still possibility for Mpls

Are you thinking it would be at the new Vikings stadium? The reason I ask is because it's usually at 'normal' basketball venues (United Center and Conseco or whatever Fieldhouse). Has it ever been in a non-basketball venue? Any chance Target Center (which is in the process of renovations http://targetcenterrenovation.org) or Xcel would be in play?

It would be horrible if it's at a football stadium. Imagine 10K or even less for many of the games in a stadium that seats 70K+. I think it would be great if it rotated between six or seven sights. That might get more of the locals to come out just because it would be unique to their area. Indi, Chicago, Detroit, Omaha, TC, and somewhere on towards the easy coast like DC.

It would be horrible if it's at a football stadium. Imagine 10K or even less for many of the games in a stadium that seats 70K+. I think it would be great if it rotated between six or seven sights. That might get more of the locals to come out just because it would be unique to their area. Indi, Chicago, Detroit, Omaha, TC, and somewhere on towards the easy coast like DC.

I agree but if it's not at the Vikings stadium, why wasn't Minneapolis ever in the picture prior? What has changed in MPLS besides the Vikings stadium?

I could see the U/Minneapolis pushing for the Vikings stadium to showcase for the NCAA people the opportunities for a Final Four.

I agree but if it's not at the Vikings stadium, why wasn't Minneapolis ever in the picture prior? What has changed in MPLS besides the Vikings stadium?

Because they haven't talked about expanding to new sites until now. It's not about Minneapolis, it's about the B1G

Target Center is having a $100k remodel done right now, to upgrade, modernize it and expand capacity if needed. Guessing Target Center would fit the bill.

Target Center is having a $100k remodel done right now, to upgrade, modernize it and expand capacity if needed. Guessing Target Center would fit the bill.

Agreed. No way they would go to a football stadium. The Indy/Chicago thing has been about, among other things, proximity to all the schools. Both centrally located. Omaha may be hungry, and I suspect would do the best job of the three hosting it and supporting it by locals, but also harder to get to than either Detroit or Minneapolis. Would be nice to see how another location would do. I've always liked Indy most for convenience, hospitality and venue.

I'm a regular at the BTT, but ironically, I might be less likely to buy all tournament tickets if it were local. It would lose the "get away" factor for me.

That's stretching the budget :) $100 million (I did know what you meant...just giving you a hard time)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-jim-delany-big-ten-basketball-20140911-story.html

Reading between the lines, Delany might be realizing Madison Square Garden ain't happening. Omaha and Detroit other possibilities.

Maybe more interesting than the Big Ten teaser is a link at the bottom of the story to the auction of Michael Jordan's Chicago home in November. Jordan evidently spent so much of his life in hotels that he designed his "home" to feel like one.

I can't wait to ride that new escalator.

Didn't the Xcel host the state bball tournament for a little while (or at least a year)? I would at least consider that over the Target Center.

Target center has the easy access from the airport via the light rail, and now also the U via the green line. I'd love the Xcel personally tho

Today, you might prefer the Excel over the Target Center, but after the renovation, that might change. Although, I would imagine the X having better sight lines. TC is terrible in the upper deck. But TC also has a location that is way way way better.

The only way the BTT comes here is if it's held at the new Humpty Dump. It has nothing to do with the quality of the X or post-renovation Target Center, and everything to do with availability. There is hockey at the X every weekend in March, and between the NACHO conference and the High School League, ditto for TC.

The only way the BTT comes here is if it's held at the new Humpty Dump. It has nothing to do with the quality of the X or post-renovation Target Center, and everything to do with availability. There is hockey at the X every weekend in March, and between the NACHO conference and the High School League, ditto for TC.

Not really.

In 2014, Xcel Energy Center hosted:

Girls State Hockey Feb 18-21
Boys State Hockey March 3-7
Big Ten Hockey Tourney March 20-22

The Big Ten Basketball Tournament was held March 13-16.

Not really.

In 2014, Xcel Energy Center hosted:

Girls State Hockey Feb 18-21
Boys State Hockey March 3-7
Big Ten Hockey Tourney March 20-22

The Big Ten Basketball Tournament was held March 13-16.

And the Wild hosted games on the 13th and 15th...

You guys do realize that the Blackhawks AND Bulls play at the United Center, right? A BTT would be scheduled years in advance, booking that arena. The Target Center is going to want to host the BTT much more than any high school tourney or the crappy NCHC tourney. And if it is at the X, do you really think the Wild would have games that weekend? No! They would be on the road that weekend.

You guys do realize that the Blackhawks AND Bulls play at the United Center, right? A BTT would be scheduled years in advance, booking that arena. The Target Center is going to want to host the BTT much more than any high school tourney or the crappy NCHC tourney. And if it is at the X, do you really think the Wild would have games that weekend? No! They would be on the road that weekend.
The problem with The X is the Wild are already away from home a lot in late February and March because of other tournaments that seem to be almost all on consecutive weekends and I can't see them being fine with being on the road even more at a critical point in their season. I think the Target Center is a much more realistic place and they if the high school tournaments are around the same time they could hold more games at The Barn then they currently do.

Top Bottom