Jarvis Johnson Commits to the U of M #SkiUMah

No.

And the initial reports are he likes to. I have faith in Jiggas version of his Illinois state shooting woes. But if he's a knockdown shooter that's a bonus. My expectation is he is a Westbrook esque player in that he will win us a bunch of games, but likely make us pull our hair out a few times as well.

Who doesn't cause us to pull our hair out now and then?

Jarvis with Lofton on the court is a lineup that could dangerous, Jarvis is a scorer but isn't a great shooter, he can penetrate and dish, if the recipient happens to be someone like Lofton watch out. A combination like Mason, Johnson, and Lofton on the court could be interesting.

That combination seems like it could be very dangerous and exciting, I see them making some noise in the Big 10.
I still don't know exactly what to expect from Mcbrayer and Dorsey but I have high hopes based on rating and speculation.
I think Mcneil will keep improving and being a defensive factor.

but I feel we have a good foundation in the back court and a number of different combinations to throw at opponents for years to come, should be fun watching Pitino and Co. work it out and develop these players.

I imagine seeing a 4 gaurd line up on ocassion, when we need to get unorthodox and creative to use our players skill sets effectively.

Thanks for posting the presser. My internet was really slow and I couldn't get the stream to work as it was happening live.

He handled himself very well in front of the camera and the media. Very excited for Jarvis to be a gopher.

Very wise choice to stay home and be close to his family and support system.

Welcome aboard Jarvis! You make all of MN proud.

I've been a big(relatively speaking) proponent of signing someone other than Jarvis mostly because I didn't really like what I saw from mixtapes or from the descriptions of his summer league game. The quoted is some good stuff to hear and I'll be following a lot more during the school year. If this kid can be al Nolan with the ability to finish at the rim in excited as hell!

We are still missing a pure spot shooter on the team. Hopefully the reported plus shooting ability of our 4s and 5s compensates enough.

I don't think he'll be the defender Nolan was as few PGs are. That said he's already a more explosive athlete and a better scorer/finisher. Nolan was extremely quick and a great ball handler and I'm not sure if Jarvis is as laterally quick as Nolan or the same ball handler in terms of navigating through traffic but Jarvis is already a better ball handler than everyone on last years team except maybe Lil Dre.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Huh?

Speaking of those, wow is he athletic. Will be nice to have a player with that quickness, handles, and jumping ability. Helps replace Mathieu.

I've been a big(relatively speaking) proponent of signing someone other than Jarvis mostly because I didn't really like what I saw from mixtapes

Huh?

Speaking of those, wow is he athletic. Will be nice to have a player with that quickness, handles, and jumping ability. Helps replace Mathieu.

I didn't like the fact he wasn't much of a shooter, and much of his earlier mixtapes (the last few have been much better from a total ability standpoint) showed only slashing and dunking. I wanted a wing that could shoot a bit more or was able to do more than dunk before we took Jarvis and I just didn't think his game translated to Pitino ball per the early mixtapes.

I've come back a bit on that since my initial comments, and I still haven't seen 1 second of Jarvis live so my opinion is worth about $.02, if that.

To the other remarks about Al NolEn, he was one of my favorite Gophers while I was still living in the area, fun guy to watch played a solid game. The thing that drove me wild about him was his ability to get to the rack at will almost, but had ABSOLUTELY no touch in finishing the ball. He was also a very poor shooter, I hope Jarvis is a better shooter and I know he can finish at the rim better than Al could.

It's sad to think how much better the Gophs could have done if Nolan hadn't gotten injured and held out for academics. Seeing Hoffarber bring the ball up the court is a recurring nightmare! Blake bring the ball up and run around three screens, then pass yourself the ball and shoot! It's hard to do, but I think you can manage it!

I'm still excited about Jarvis being a Gopher. The excitement over a great HS kid always wears off after a few days, but this has been different. A great group of talent coming in!

Very nice comment by McDonald. We have a lot of quality alumni.

Can't teach that

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That combination seems like it could be very dangerous and exciting, I see them making some noise in the Big 10.
I still don't know exactly what to expect from Mcbrayer and Dorsey but I have high hopes based on rating and speculation.
I think Mcneil will keep improving and being a defensive factor.

but I feel we have a good foundation in the back court and a number of different combinations to throw at opponents for years to come, should be fun watching Pitino and Co. work it out and develop these players.

I imagine seeing a 4 gaurd line up on ocassion, when we need to get unorthodox and creative to use our players skill sets effectively.
I'm assuming Lofton would effectively play the 3 in this scenario? A little confused as to how we would run a 3 guard system. It seems Petino hasn't really valued any SF prospects. McNeil, Morris, and potentially Buggs are the only 3s on our roster, correct? Or am I forgetting someone?

I'm assuming Lofton would effectively play the 3 in this scenario? A little confused as to how we would run a 3 guard system. It seems Petino hasn't really valued any SF prospects. McNeil, Morris, and potentially Buggs are the only 3s on our roster, correct? Or am I forgetting someone?

I think it'll look something like this in 2015. Who starts or gets the most minutes I have no idea.

1 - Dorsey
1/2 - Johnson
2 - Mason
2/3 - Lofton, McNeil, McBrayer
3 - Morris

I think it'll look something like this in 2015. Who starts or gets the most minutes I have no idea.

1 - Dorsey
1/2 - Johnson
2 - Mason
3 - Morris

I pretty much agree with you. I see McBrayer as the 2 when we go big. At 6-3 or 6-4, 170 lbs. he has time to get bigger and stronger, but I see him as a pure 2. If the 3 becomes our achilles heel like the 4 was last season, Lofton will start at the 3.

1 - Dorsey
1/2 - Johnson
2 - Mason
3 - Morris

This is the way I see it:

1-Dorsey
1/2-Mason, Johnson, McBrayer (could play some 3 too, especially if he grows)
2/3-Morris, Lofton, McNeil
3/4-Buggs, Martin
4-King, Diedhiou
5-Konate, Nwankwo

Looking at it that way, we have a pretty balanced team going into 2015. A lot of interesting line up possibilities too.

It's safe to say that Lofton (2), Morris (3), King (4) and Konate (5) will be in the starting lineup next year. I think Mason probably has the inside track to start at PG with a year under his belt, but one of the freshmen has a shot.

We will be even more athletic next year than this year, but probably going to take some time to gel, given all of the turnover.

I don't think any of us knows anything, but it is sure fun reading all of the speculation.

It's safe to say that Lofton (2), Morris (3), King (4) and Konate (5) will be in the starting lineup next year. I think Mason probably has the inside track to start at PG with a year under his belt, but one of the freshmen has a shot.

We will be even more athletic next year than this year, but probably going to take some time to gel, given all of the turnover.

The only thing it's safe to say is that three people from the following seven

Dorsey, Mason, Johnson, McBrayer, Morris, Lofton & McNeil

will be starting for the Gophers in 2015.

Note: We have only seen one of those seven (McNeil) play for the gophers so nothing is safe to say at this point.

Safe to say?

Yes, in my opinion very much so. With the usual caveats wrt injury, etc.

King and Morris are the presumed starters at PF and wing this year, and will be returning next year. Konate will be the only returning center with experience (As far as we know, Nwankwo could challenge, but how often do you see a true freshman starting at center in the B1G?) And Lofton will be a 22 year old (or 23??) shooting guard who has already been a scorer in D1 and will have had a year to adjust here.

Anything can happen, but I have a hard time seeing a starting lineup next year without those 4 guys.

Yes, in my opinion very much so. With the usual caveats wrt injury, etc.

King and Morris are the presumed starters at PF and wing this year, and will be returning next year. Konate will be the only returning center with experience (As far as we know, Nwankwo could challenge, but how often do you see a true freshman starting at center in the B1G?) And Lofton will be a 22 year old (or 23??) shooting guard who has already been a scorer in D1 and will have had a year to adjust here.

Anything can happen, but I have a hard time seeing a starting lineup next year without those 4 guys.

98VQueens' point is probably that you can state your opinion and produce a fair argument without the caveat "safe to say". I think it's safe to say that you may or may not be right.

Top Bottom