Who belongs on the ALL-TIME GOPHER Basketball Team

Why aren't any of you throwing up your own top 5 at each position? There have been plenty of good Gophers! Corky Taylor is the all-time best for knees to the groin!

In terms of basketball talent , Ron Behagen deserves to be on the list but there are other obvious reasons why people may not want to include him. Clyde the Glide Turner from that team also deserves consideration.

Surprised Ollie Shannon hasn't been mentioned. There was a player who understood a shooting guard's job was to shoot. Fun to watch on not so good teams.

I've been a Gophers hoops fanatic since the 1986-87 season, so I don't feel qualified to talk about past greats. My top 5 Gophers since I've been a fan are (regardless of position):

1) Bobby Jackson
2) Willie Burton
3) Voshon Lenard
4) Quincy Lewis
5) Arriel McDonald

Honorable mention to: Randy Carter, Courtney James, Sam Jacobson, Eric Harris, Vincent Grier, Andre Hollins, Dusty Rychart

With your time-frame, I would completely agree with your choices. I would put Jacobson and Andre at the top of the honorable mention. Andre may very well join the top five after one more year.

I would like to see Clyde Turner and Ollie Shannon on that list.

several years ago, a large number of GHer were putting Hoff as the #1 SG of all-time.

Vincent Grier is should definitely be on that list. I will never forget that game against Wisky that he COMPLETELY took over.

Thompson, Hudson, Ray Williams, Olberding, and Jackson.

Clark and Mchale were better pro's then they were college players

Did Rodney Williams make a jump shot in his 4 years at Minnesota? Maybe I missed it.

Thompson, Hudson, Ray Williams, Olberding, and Jackson.

Clark and Mchale were better pro's then they were college players

"During his senior year in 1965-66, Clark was selected captain of the University of Minnesota men's basketball team, becoming one of the first African Americans at Minnesota to hold that honor for any sport. He was also named team MVP and was named to the All-Big Ten team after averaging 28 points per game during his senior campaign."

McHale was definitely a better pro than college. Hard to rank Oberding....only played one year. Would have been great if he played four years. Seniors Oberding, Lansberger, Thompson on the front line? That's a national title team.

Or was Landsberger a year ahead?

"During his senior year in 1965-66, Clark was selected captain of the University of Minnesota men's basketball team, becoming one of the first African Americans at Minnesota to hold that honor for any sport. He was also named team MVP and was named to the All-Big Ten team after averaging 28 points per game during his senior campaign."

McHale was definitely a better pro than college. Hard to rank Oberding....only played one year. Would have been great if he played four years. Seniors Oberding, Lansberger, Thompson on the front line? That's a national title team.

Or was Landsberger a year ahead?

Pretty sure Oberding and Landsberger were in the same class. Played one year together and then Oberding went with Musselman to the pros and Landsberger transferred to one of the Western schools. Start of many "Damn it, no" moments for me as a Gopher fan as what was looking good suddenly went to hell as we paid the price for Musselman's antics. (Actually, hearing Hudson had broken his hand was the first.)

Don't know where you got the quote about Archie Clark but would bet he never averaged 28 points a game. He was great but that seems too high.

Pretty sure Oberding and Landsberger were in the same class. Played one year together and then Oberding went with Musselman to the pros and Landsberger transferred to one of the Western schools. Start of many "Damn it, no" moments for me as a Gopher fan as what was looking good suddenly went to hell as we paid the price for Musselman's antics. (Actually, hearing Hudson had broken his hand was the first.)

Don't know where you got the quote about Archie Clark but would bet he never averaged 28 points a game. He was great but that seems too high.

Sorry I thoughtt I posted the link. Must have been a sr moment. I planned to post it. Oh well

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020205aad.html

If we are going to mention Gophers who were better pros than college players consider Joel Pryzbilla and Jim Peterson. And what about the all time maximize your talent team, Richard Coffey, Walter Bond, Dusty Rychart, Aaron Robinson, Trevor Winter. Has anybody mentioned Whitey Skoog, Ray Williams or Dave Winfield? And who can forget some of the all futility team, Miles Tarver, Ralph Archambault, Ernest Nzigamasabo.

If we are going to mention Gophers who were better pros than college players consider Joel Pryzbilla and Jim Peterson. And what about the all time maximize your talent team, Richard Coffey, Walter Bond, Dusty Rychart, Aaron Robinson, Trevor Winter. Has anybody mentioned Whitey Skoog, Ray Williams or Dave Winfield? And who can forget some of the all futility team, Miles Tarver, Ralph Archambault, Ernest Nzigamasabo.

That's what Sid said.

Reading this thread reinforces how few twin cities area kids have been at becoming stars for the Gophers. Maybe Jarvis can buck the trend of twin city kids not being all that good for MN?

Top Bottom