Which Scenario Would You Prefer?

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Clarke commits and becomes the final piece of the 2015 class.

Alex and Jarvis both commit and Pitino either revokes scholarship to Gaston or forces a player to transfer?

Edited to add: I wanted to make this a poll, but I couldn't figure out how to do that (apparently).

I'd rather see him run Buggs and I think it is more likely since Buggs is a Tubby recruit and Nobody spits like Gaston! He is especially good at expectorating!

For me, this comes down to who I would prefer between two people: Clarke and Illikainen. I just love Clarke and would take him in a heartbeat, but Alex has a unique skill collection, and he's going to make a lot of nice plays for some program. Anytime I'm torn like this, I want the player who wants to be here more. The good news is that that's who we're going to get. Whoever wants to be here more will commit first.

I'd rather not run anyone off.

I'll just trust Coach Pitino to figure it out.

I think the fact Wisconsin would miss out on both Jarvis and Alex would make me lean that way even though Clarke was the #1 guy for me in this class (since Elijah Thomas eliminated us at least).

I'll take quality over quantity any day. Clarke looks Big Ten ready and he still has a year of high school. I'm just not very confident we are high on his list.

Do we still have a shot with Clarke?

Alex and Jarvis definitely with the added bonus they stay home instead of landing at a conference rival.

Clarke. I am not ok with emulating Crean. If you have problems with Crean's practices, then I don't see how you can favor signing two more players.

After a couple years in the program a kid sees the writing on the wall. He realizes he would rather play major minutes at a lower level than sit at the end of the bench and only play mop-up minutes at his current program. Was this kid 'run-off' by the coach?

Alex and Jarvis definitely with the added bonus they stay home instead of landing at a conference rival.

+1. It also sets up well for future in state recruiting to the local AAU and High School Programs. But in reality, I'd be ecstatic with any combination of those 3 finishing up our class.

After a couple years in the program a kid sees the writing on the wall. He realizes he would rather play major minutes at a lower level than sit at the end of the bench and only play mop-up minutes at his current program. Was this kid 'run-off' by the coach?

It depends. Did the team oversign in the fall or use a scholarship in the spring to replace the player after the player has made his intentions to transfer clear?

If the player left due to oversigning, then that is by definition Creaning. No justification can be made to smooth over that fact.

It depends. Did the team oversign in the fall or use a scholarship in the spring to replace the player after the player has made his intentions to transfer clear?

If the player left due to oversigning, then that is by definition Creaning. No justification can be made to smooth over that fact.

The scenario is just as originally posted. Work with it.

I'd only want to take one of the three unless a player leaves or is going to leave by their own free will. I do not want anyone to get "run off". So I guess in this scenario I'd take option a, Clarke.

However I don't think we've been in the mix for Clarke for several months.

I'd only want to take one of the three unless a player leaves or is going to leave by their own free will. I do not want anyone to get "run off". So I guess in this scenario I'd take option a, Clarke.

However I don't think we've been in the mix for Clarke for several months.

Sorry, I was referring to MY scenario. Had nothing to do with options.

I can see where it could have been confusing.

If Diedhiou is enrolled in the language class he has to take this semester, I don't see Pitino saying goodbye to him. Best case is Charles Buggs leaves after the season and they are able to add five guys (current three with Alex and Jarvis).... of course I take Chris Clarke right now if he is willing to commit but Illikainen and Johnson both probably end up at Wisconsin then... and that makes them a good threat for Amir Coffey too.

I did the best anyone could already. Your scenario lacks information that someone would need to make an informed answer. Please clarify.

If you cannot or will not, then it will go unanswered due to a lack of information.

Clarke hands down. The team needs an elite 3. Plus he's the most talented of the bunch. If UW ends up with our leftovers, so be it.

I am good with any of the three. I want the one that wants to be Gopher worst. That is the first to pull the trigger.

I just don't understand how almost everyone on here is ready to give up on Buggs?! Wasn't it coach that at the beginning of his coaching here said he had the most potential of anyone in the program? Isn't it the coaches job to bring that potential out in the kid? He gave us productive minutes last year as a RS freshman in B1G play. Yes, his D needs work..but he is still young and learning. Thoughts?

I just don't understand how almost everyone on here is ready to give up on Buggs?! Wasn't it coach that at the beginning of his coaching here said he had the most potential of anyone in the program? Isn't it the coaches job to bring that potential out in the kid? He gave us productive minutes last year as a RS freshman in B1G play. Yes, his D needs work..but he is still young and learning. Thoughts?

Yeah, I feel like some people here have a propensity to want to run off anyone who isn't producing in a big way early in their career, such as Buggs in his red shirt freshman year. I think I even remember some posts saying Daquein would realize that he wasn't cut out for this level of basketball about midway through last season, and that he would transfer after his freshman year. And then there's been posts saying we should seize the "opportunity" of Gaston not getting admitted to leave him in the dust and add a fifth member to the 2015 class. Just because a guy isn't giving us 7+ points per game as a freshman doesn't mean he's a scrub or can't get better. And not to be the "recruiting rankings are meaningless" guy, but just because someone isn't a 4 star or a top 150 player (Gaston, Dre Mathieu) doesn't mean he can't develop into a solid contributor. Basically I feel like we give up on some of our players too early/too easily.

It's also possible Buggs just likes being here, regardless of how much playing time he gets or if develops significantly. Maverick was probably one those guys who some people hoped/thought would "see the writing on the wall" and transfer to a lower level, but he never did. Buggs has also red shirted already, so transferring within Division I would mean sacrificing a year of eligibility, which he understandably might not want to do.

As for the thread topic, I do get a little uncomfortable about potentially making someone leave who doesn't want to, and Clarke is also rated significantly higher than Johnson and Illikainen, so I'd probably go with him. I would be perfectly happy with that class. It would kinda suck to potentially see both of those guys go to Wisconsin, but if we were to get Clarke, it wouldn't feel like we were "out-recruited" for them, so it wouldn't hurt as much. Clarke seems like the best player of the three, and landing a top 60-ish player would be a nice feather in Pitino's cap, but I do like the thought of getting both Johnson and Illikainen just so that Wisconsin wouldn't get them, and they seem like fine players as well. I would be pretty happy either way, but I think I'd take Clarke.

Yeah, I feel like some people here have a propensity to want to run off anyone who isn't producing in a big way early in their career, such as Buggs in his red shirt freshman year. I think I even remember some posts saying Daquein would realize that he wasn't cut out for this level of basketball about midway through last season, and that he would transfer after his freshman year. And then there's been posts saying we should seize the "opportunity" of Gaston not getting admitted to leave him in the dust and add a fifth member to the 2015 class. Just because a guy isn't giving us 7+ points per game as a freshman doesn't mean he's a scrub or can't get better. And not to be the "recruiting rankings are meaningless" guy, but just because someone isn't a 4 star or a top 150 player (Gaston, Dre Mathieu) doesn't mean he can't develop into a solid contributor. Basically I feel like we give up on some of our players too early/too easily.

Yes, and it's particularly hasty to write-off someone like Diedhou who hasn't played a game yet.

Furthermore, few teams (other than the most elite) can have a roster full of four star or nearly four star players. There aren't enough minutes to go around and you would have multiple transfers every year. So far, it appears that Pitino has a general recruiting strategy of aiming strongly for a few highly rated players and filling in with some others who are a bit underrated and and frequently are a little older than the average recruit (transfers, jucos, overseas players, players taking a prep year). It's a strategy that will probably work well for the Gophers' type of program.

We weren't given the option of Nate Grimes in this thread. Supposedly he is a bit raw but he and Alex I. are listed as the two remaining recruits rating Minnesota as "warmer" by 247 and one of his coaches stated that he is pretty high on Minnesota. I would be pretty happy if he rounded out the class. Alex would be a great recruit, of course, but Jarvis seems a bit superfluous at this point (in addition to Mason and Dorsey, McBrayer also appears to have ball handling and passing skills). Clarke seems like a long shot. He has a UCONN offer (among other elites) and that would have to be very tempting.

If Buggs isn't getting playing time during the early season, he can always decide to transfer at mid-year. That would make him eligible after the first semester of next year and still a pretty valuable recruit for some program.

Top Bottom