Big STrib profile: Gophers' Mathieu sees a full-court press at every turn

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Mathieu, a college basketball drifter only a year ago, expects to turn his Gophers into a true threat come NCAA tournament time.

He will provide for his 9-week-old son, Elijah, and his girlfriend, Charisma Payne, both of whom moved in with him on campus this month.

He will pass his five classes.

He will go to practice and work out daily.

He’ll travel.

He’ll change diapers.

He’ll master the dizzying agenda. For himself. For Lonsdale. And for one other person, with whom he planned these glory days long ago.

According to the Lonsdale narrative woven over Mathieu’s 21 years, it’s his fate. He will succeed because there aren’t any other options. There were always two who were destined to transcend the beaten-down neighborhood. Two who would make it out. But one of them took his own life and only Mathieu remains. He carries the dreams of two, and the weight of a community’s expectations.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/274229861.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I may make fun of her for her constant typos, but this is a great article.

Love this kid...or should I say, man? He sure plays and acts like someone who's on a mission to be successful. My favorite Gopher this year (and last).

Love this kid...or should I say, man? He sure plays and acts like someone who's on a mission to be successful. My favorite Gopher this year (and last).

Will you be changing your avatar soon?

Now - on topic. This is a great young man and you have to pull for him, and appreciate the way he applies himself. This makes the work done in the off-season (having him watch film of his demeanor on the court when discouraged) even more impressive, builds my appreciation of the approach of the coaching staff. This kind of coaching is going to improve his game and his life.

Top Bottom