NIT Season Tip-Off Schedule Announced‏

GopherLady

Reaction score
The University of Minnesota’s schedule has been set with the announcement of the 2014 NIT Season Tip-Off this afternoon. The Gophers will play two home games at Williams Arena with two games to follow at Madison Square Garden.

Minnesota hosts Western Kentucky on Tuesday, November 18 at 7 p.m. central time. That game will be broadcast live on ESPN3. Two days later, the Gophers will host Franklin Pierce University for a 7 p.m. contest at the Barn.

WKU, out of Conference USA, is coming off a 20-12 season a year ago and a second place finish in the Sun Belt Conference. Franklin Pierce is a member of the Division II Northeast 10, with the Ravens also posting a 20-win season in 2013-14 and a second-place conference finish.

The action shifts to New York City the following week, as Minnesota is scheduled to face St. John’s on Wednesday, November 26 at 6 p.m. central at Madison Square Garden. That contest, televised live on ESPNU, is the first of two semifinal games that night, with Gonzaga and Georgia squaring off immediately following.

The Red Storm finished last season with a 20-13 record and an NIT appearance, while placing tied for third in the BIG EAST regular season standings.

Both semifinal winners will meet on Friday in the championship at 6 p.m. eastern (ESPN2), while the consolation game will take place at 3:30 p.m. (ESPNU).

Minnesota is returning to the site of its 2014 NIT Championship, where it defeated Florida State and SMU last April to claim the tournament title.

2014 NIT Season Tip-Off Schedule

GAMES PLAYED AT CAMPUS SITES (all times Eastern)

Monday, Nov. 17

Franklin Pierce at St. John’s (NY), 7:30 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov. 18

Western Kentucky at Minnesota, 8 p.m. (ESPN3)

Stony Brook at Georgia, TBD (broadcast - TBD)

Wednesday, Nov. 19

LIU-Brooklyn at St. John’s (NY), 7:30 p.m. (ESPN3)

Saint Joseph’s at Gonzaga, 11 p.m. (ESPNU)

Thursday, Nov. 20

Franklin Pierce at Minnesota, 8 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 22

St. Thomas Aquinas at Gonzaga, TBD

Tuesday, Nov. 25

LIU Brooklyn at Saint Joseph’s, 7 p.m.

Western Kentucky at Stony Brook, 7 p.m.

GAMES PLAYED AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN (all times Eastern)

Wednesday, Nov. 26

Semifinal #1 - St. John’s (NY) vs. Minnesota, 7 p.m. ET (ESPNU)

Semifinal #2 – Gonzaga vs. Georgia, 9:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2)

Thursday, Nov. 27

LIU Brooklyn vs. Stony Brook, 4 p.m. (ESPNU)

Western Kentucky vs. Saint Joseph’s, 6 p.m. (ESPNU)

Friday, Nov. 28

Third Place – Semifinal #1 Losing Team vs. Semifinal #2 Losing Team, 4:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Championship – Semifinal #1 Winning Team vs. Semifinal #2 Winning Team, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)

Franklin Pierce. Another wonderful addition to the home schedule!

Franklin Pierce. Another wonderful addition to the home schedule!

Get pumped! Serious question, does that game count for RPI/NCAA tournament purposes since it's part of the tournament? It seems to me that it does (or did) back when MN played Concordia in an exempt tournament in one of Tubby's first two years.

Get pumped! Serious question, does that game count for RPI/NCAA tournament purposes since it's part of the tournament? It seems to me that it does (or did) back when MN played Concordia in an exempt tournament in one of Tubby's first two years.

Non-DI games do not count on the RPI.

The main intent of these exempt tournaments is to get as many quality opponents as possible. This will be the second straight year the Gophers will have a "non-game" (last season it was Chaminade) as part of their exempt tournament.

No ****. And all these games on espnu and espn3.......have I ever mentioned MSC?

Eh, lately the streamed ESPN games have a sharper picture than the tv. I no longer care about ESPN3 vs the others. The real question is where will the Frank Pierce game be televised? Fans everywhere want to know...

Next question, is that a net positive?

Depends on how you look at it. As much as I rail on the Gophers' nonconference home schedule pretty much every year (though I liked Esposito's 2011-12 home schedule), as a season-ticket holder I'd still rather see the Gophers play a DI opponent than one that's not, even if it's a crappola team. At least it "counts".

That said, with all the poor RPI opponents the Gophers have on the non-league schedule this season, it's probably better they don't have another one dragging down their nonconference strength of schedule.

Why doesn't the NIT just go with an 8 team field - all games at MSG........like all the other early tournaments?

Why doesn't the NIT just go with an 8 team field - all games at MSG........like all the other early tournaments?

Because Minnesota, Gonzaga, Saint John's, and Georgia would lose the revenue from the 2 lost home dates.

Because Minnesota, Gonzaga, Saint John's, and Georgia would lose the revenue from the 2 lost home dates.

The 3 game tournaments count as 2 games, correct? Not sure how the NIT numbers work.

Can't we just schedule more 'cupcakes'?

At least we have a for sure w/ St John's (could really help RPI later if St John's competes since it is a road/neutral court game) and a date w/ the Zags or GA.

If history has taught us anything, you just throw the record books out when we face Franklin Pierce. The Franklin Pierce Ravens in the Barn in a November showdown is what its all about.

Go Gophers!!

If history has taught us anything, you just throw the record books out when we face Franklin Pierce. The Franklin Pierce Ravens in the Barn in a November showdown is what its all about.

Go Gophers!!

:clap:

As I've told you guys, Bleed is more than just a machine.

Is Franklin Pierce any relation to Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce of M*A*S*H fame? Maybe Alan Alda will make an appearance at The Barn.

Go Gophers!!

They're no Bob Jones, but it's better than playing Bob Evans....

My cable system does not include ESPNU, so if the Gophs don't make it to the championship game, I will not be able to see any of the 4 games on TV. (I don't count watching on the computer - just don't like to do it.)

NIT Tipoff...

Sounds like a reason to go to NYC to me...

Or it sounds like a reason to buy a $6 cable so you can push your laptop video to your TV.

My cable system does not include ESPNU, so if the Gophs don't make it to the championship game, I will not be able to see any of the 4 games on TV. (I don't count watching on the computer - just don't like to do it.)

Buy this for a one time cost of $34 and have TV quality ESPNU for the rest of your life. It will also save the rest of us from having to read posts like this every year.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-2710XB-S...?ie=UTF8&qid=1410182860&sr=8-2&keywords=roku1

Is Franklin Pierce any relation to Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce of M*A*S*H fame? Maybe Alan Alda will make an appearance at The Barn.

Millard Fillmore College must have had a prior commitment.

Top Bottom