Sporting News ranks Gophers 9th in the Big Ten pre-season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Nebraska is so overrated. No way they end up in the top 4.

Wisky, OSU and then a big scrum for the 3rd through 10th places. It all depends on who wins their close games. I think we are top 6.

Izzo is a damn fine coach but I don't see Michigan State Finishing 2nd in the league.

Well, the Big Ten does have 14 teams now, so naturally the 9th-place team is going to be better than it was a few years ago when they had 11 teams. Yeah, I could see the Gophers finishing ahead of Nebraska, but it is just as likely that they finish behind Indiana (who they are ahead of in that ranking).

MSU did get an unexpected boost with new transfer Forbes being eligible immediately, so they may have a solid core with Trice, Forbes, Valentine & Dawson. But that team to me has the feel of more of a #8 seed in the NCAA tourney as opposed to a #2 team in the Big Ten.

I'll be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 6. The B1G schedule is favorable. There's no reason we can't finish ahead of Nebraska, Iowa and a couple others.

I don't care where "experts" rank us preseason. I am looking forward to the BB season as much as, if not more than, Coach Pitino.

GO GOPHERS!!!

MSU did get an unexpected boost with new transfer Forbes being eligible immediately, so they may have a solid core with Trice, Forbes, Valentine & Dawson. But that team to me has the feel of more of a #8 seed in the NCAA tourney as opposed to a #2 team in the Big Ten.

Also true of a lot of other teams in the Big Ten, excluding Wisconsin, the clear favorite. It's all a matter of which 2 or 3 teams break from the pack and finish in those spots directly behind the Badgers. Despite key personnel losses, still think OSU, MSU, and Michigan are the most likely candidates.

Will Dre Hollins average 12 ppg or 18 ppg (or in between of course)? No pressure, but I think that will be a huge factor in whether the Sporting News under appreciates Minnesota. My gut says 5th or 6th.

Just this man's opinion:

ricky-bobby-if-you-aint-first.jpg

With four solid seniors we should place higher than 9th. Much depends on how squirrel plays, how much King and McNeil have truly improved and if Mason and Martin can truly provide some quality minutes.

Yeah I know. Captain Obvious post

Top Bottom