Final Big Ten Nonconference Schedule Rankings: Gophers 9 of 14

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Final Big Ten Nonconference Schedule Rankings: Gophers 9 and 11 of 14

The first set of rankings are based on each school's (projected) 6 best/notable non-Big Ten opponents. The average RPI of the 6 opponents is noted in parentheses. In addition, there's a second set of rankings, which includes the average RPI of ALL (projected) nonconference opponents.

The Rankings (Best 6 Opponents)
1. Michigan (31.666)
2. Wisconsin (45.333)
3. Nebraska (45.5)
4. Iowa (45.833)
5. Illinois (50)
6. Maryland (61)
7. Purdue (73.666)
8. Rutgers (85.666)
9. GOPHERS (85.833)
10. Indiana (88.833)
11. Michigan State (95.333)
12. Ohio State (101.666)
13. Penn State (125)
14. Northwestern (134.166)

2. Wisconsin -- vs. *Florida, (1), Duke (9), vs. *North Carolina (25), @ Cal (63), Boise State (82), @ Marquette (92)

3. Nebraska -- vs. *Wichita State (4), Creighton (10), Cincinnati (21), vs. *George Washington (29), @ Florida State (54), @ Rhode Island (155)

4. Iowa -- Iowa State (7), @ North Carolina (25), North Dakota State (35), vs. Texas (36), vs. *Cal (63), vs. Northern Iowa (109)

5. Illinois -- vs. Villanova (5), vs. Oregon (28), vs. *Memphis (37), vs. Missouri (49), vs. Indiana State (71), @ Miami-Florida (110)

6. Maryland -- vs. *Iowa State (7), Virginia (8), vs. Arizona State (44), @ Oklahoma State (45), NCCU (99), SC-Upstate (163)

7. Purdue -- vs. *BYU (31), vs. *Missouri (49), vs. Kansas State (51), NC State (55), @ Vanderbilt (120), vs. Notre Dame (136)

8. Rutgers -- George Washington (29), vs. Manhattan (60), @ Clemson (79), vs. *La Salle (98), vs. Vanderbilt (120), @ Seton Hall (128)

9. GOPHERS -- vs. Louisville (19), vs. *Gonzaga (20), vs. Saint John's (67), @ Wake Forest (113), Western Kentucky (125), Southern U (171)

10. Indiana -- vs. Louisville (19), Pitt (39), SMU (53), vs. Georgetown (69), vs. Butler (150), Grand Canyon (203)

11. Michigan State -- vs. *Kansas (3), vs. Duke (9), Eastern Michigan (86), @ Notre Dame (136), vs. *Georgia Tech (157), Oakland (181)

12. Ohio State -- @ Louisville (19), vs. North Carolina (25), Marquette (92), Morehead State (141), Miami-Ohio (161), High Point (172)

13. Penn State -- George Washington (29), Akron (93), vs. *Miami-Florida (110), vs. Drexel (132), vs. *South Carolina (140), Virginia Tech (246)

14. Northwestern -- Western Michigan (66), vs. *Northern Iowa (109), @ Butler (150), Georgia Tech (157), vs. Miami-Ohio (161), Elon (162)

The Rankings (Average RPI of All Projected Opponents)
1. Wisconsin (118)
2. **Michigan (147.333)
3. Maryland (150.384)
4. Iowa (155.615)
5. Illinois (157.23)
6. Nebraska (164.333)
7. Purdue (165.461)
8. Penn State (173)
9. Michigan State (187.461)
10. Rutgers (189.769)
11. **GOPHERS (192.076)
12. Indiana (193.846)
13. Ohio State (195.769)
14. Northwestern (217.384)

**Denotes team is playing a non-DI opponent, which is assigned a RPI of #350.

If interested in my college hoops takes, you're welcome to follow me on Twitter @Fieldof68Freak.

Thanks for doing this, SS.

Unfortunately for me, it looks like Matta's scheduling has bottomed out, 12th or 13th in the Big Ten is ridiculous. It is not an exaggeration to say OSU has led the Big Ten in guarantee games over the past several seasons, I guess quantity is the priority over quality for Matta/OSU unfortunately. 10 of what essentially are guarantee games this year, and they've averaged over 9 guarantee games the past four years (37/4) prior to this season, while other top B1G programs MSU, UW and Michigan have combined to average less than 6 the past four years ('11-'14), (69/12).

Thanks for doing this, SS.

Unfortunately for me, it looks like Matta's scheduling has bottomed out, 12th or 13th in the Big Ten is ridiculous. It is not an exaggeration to say OSU has led the Big Ten in guarantee games over the past several seasons, I guess quantity is the priority over quality for Matta/OSU unfortunately. 10 of what essentially are guarantee games this year, and they've averaged over 9 guarantee games the past four years (37/4) prior to this season, while other top B1G programs MSU, UW and Michigan have combined to average less than 6 the past four years ('11-'14), (69/12).

When your FB program struggles to bring in revenue at the level of other schools, you have to make up for it by squeezing every $ out of basketball. :cool:

Thanks, appreciate it OSUfan. This year notwithstanding, Izzo deserves and gets plenty of credit for his nonconference schedules, but I think Bo is right up there with him. Bo knows how to put together a nonconference schedule, pretty much year in & year out. Wish that scheduling knack would make its way up I-90/94 on occasion.

When your FB program struggles to bring in revenue at the level of other schools, you have to make up for it by squeezing every $ out of basketball. :cool:

Ha. Yeah, I guess money is the only real reason to take it to that extreme, but when the power conference schools get what they have been moving towards and have only 65 or so teams in their division, they may not be able to schedule guarantee games anymore.

Jeff Goodman weighed in on the non-conference schedules via Blog today and was somewhat hard on the Big Ten teams. "SEC props, Big Ten flops"

Gophers categorized as one of "Ten terrible schedules I'm not fine with" along with Ohio State and Nebraska.

8. Minnesota Golden Gophers -- Little Richard plays his dad in Puerto Rico and Gonzaga in the Preseason NIT, but the home slate is filled with bad teams.

Michigan State was categorized as most disappointing (very unusual for them).

Long Beach State and our guy Dan Monson was declared as "nothing can compare".

Interesting read if you have ESPN insider.

And it's no guarantee Gophers will play Gonzaga. The Gophers' nonconference schedule really NEEDS Gonzaga on it. And certainly what Gopher fans saw last night is what they'll see in The Barn in November and December, save maybe for WKU. Rout after rout after rout.

It is strange to see Izzo with a pedestrian nonconference schedule.

And it's no guarantee Gophers will play Gonzaga. The Gophers' nonconference schedule really NEEDS Gonzaga on it. And certainly what Gopher fans saw last night is what they'll see in The Barn in November and December, save maybe for WKU. Rout after rout after rout.

It is strange to see Izzo with a pedestrian nonconference schedule.

This weaker non-conference schedule means they'll have to go 10-8 or better in the Big Ten this year to get in.
9-9 would be a weak bubble I believe... depending on how the B1G team do in their non-conference.

It's the first part of the year when I actually have to cheer on Wisconsin.

I am not shocked by this easier schedule after what the Gophers went through last year playing tougher teams and not making the NCAA's because they appeared to have too many losses.

Swap out that Arkansas game last year for an easy win somewhere else, and they make the tournament last year.

I don't know. I don't see how you get better playing bad teams. I think Pitino should be chastised for the schedule. The more difficult schedule last year was a component in over achieving. Anxious to see how we fare when we face adversity for almost the first time in January. I don't see the foundation
for a successful Big Ten season. See what happens with Louisville, I guess. If we get hammered, playing ALL bad teams isn't going to give us any REAL
confidence entering the Big Ten.

Jeff Goodman weighed in on the non-conference schedules via Blog today and was somewhat hard on the Big Ten teams. "SEC props, Big Ten flops"

Gophers categorized as one of "Ten terrible schedules I'm not fine with" along with Ohio State and Nebraska.

8. Minnesota Golden Gophers -- Little Richard plays his dad in Puerto Rico and Gonzaga in the Preseason NIT, but the home slate is filled with bad teams.

Michigan State was categorized as most disappointing (very unusual for them).

Long Beach State and our guy Dan Monson was declared as "nothing can compare".

Interesting read if you have ESPN insider.

Glad I was sitting down when I read that. I am so looking forward to playing hated Franklin Pierce and dreaded UMBC almost consecutive nights this month. Can't figure out though if UMBC is in the middle of British Columbia or some place not that far from Boston. Only thing more irritating than the home schedule is having some jackass who obviously doesn't go to games telling me to stop bitching about it like in a couple of threads from last year.

Thanks, SS. Your analysis of schedules and teams is one of my favorite things about GH.

UMBC is University of Maryland Baltimore County! LOL they are about ten miles from the REAL University of Maryland. Campus reminds me of a very large farm. Should be a good test for the Gophers.

I'm short on time - anyone able to summarize non-conf schedules by expected win-loss record of opponents (more meaningful to RPI this year.. I think SS's figures are all based on last year's RPI)?

I'm short on time - anyone able to summarize non-conf schedules by expected win-loss record of opponents (more meaningful to RPI this year.. I think SS's figures are all based on last year's RPI)?

Then maybe you shouldn't waste any more of your precious time by posting here. Your act is really, really old.

Ya, I've got a couple hours to kill. Just let me go through these 10+ teams non-conf schedules for a complete stranger and I'll email you the write up so you can post it on your site.

Yes, you're so short on time that you took the time to make sure everyone knows you think the time I spent putting that together is a waste of time. I appreciate that, thanks.

Instead of being a knob about it, how about answering this way. Do you think the Gophers' nonconference schedule is great, sucks, or somewhere in between? I think it's a lot closer to "sucks" than "in between", and that's simply by eye-balling it & not using the RPI data. Percentages are if the Gophers lose to Louisville and Gonzaga (or don't play Gonzaga), it's gonna' be a NC schedule of little to no help come March. I don't like (Gopher) schedules that require pretty much all the heavy (resume) lifting to be done during the Big Ten season. For a program that hasn't had a winning Big Ten record since 2004-05, that's a dangerous way to do business.

Feel free to post an alternative way to look the schedule using whatever criteria you want. I'm certainly open to other ways of breaking down a schedule. More than one way to skin a cat.

Yes, you're so short on time that you took the time to make sure everyone knows you think the time I spent putting that together is a waste of time. I appreciate that, thanks.

Instead of being a knob about it, how about answering this way. Do you think the Gophers' nonconference schedule is great, sucks, or somewhere in between? I think it's a lot closer to "sucks" than "in between", and that's simply by eye-balling it & not using the RPI data. Percentages are if the Gophers lose to Louisville and Gonzaga (or don't play Gonzaga), it's gonna' be a NC schedule of little to no help come March. I don't like (Gopher) schedules that require pretty much all the heavy (resume) lifting to be done during the Big Ten season. For a program that hasn't had a winning Big Ten record since 2004-05, that's a dangerous way to do business.

Feel free to post an alternative way to look the schedule using whatever criteria you want. I'm certainly open to other ways of breaking down a schedule. More than one way to skin a cat.

No. I'm seriously short on time. I like what you did, just would like to look at it other ways (same topic - nonconf schedules - just an alternate look at it). Thought maybe others have done/would do it.

E-motional bunch, you folks.

No. I'm seriously short on time. I like what you did, just would like to look at it other ways (same topic - nonconf schedules - just an alternate look at it). Thought maybe others have done/would do it.

E-motional bunch, you folks.

LOL; Late Night Hoops pi**ing off those that are the most easy going on the board!!! You do come across as a knob, by the way

Thanks, appreciate it OSUfan. This year notwithstanding, Izzo deserves and gets plenty of credit for his nonconference schedules, but I think Bo is right up there with him. Bo knows how to put together a nonconference schedule, pretty much year in & year out. Wish that scheduling knack would make its way up I-90/94 on occasion.

Not sure why this schedule is so great. Duke is a ACC/BIG matchup and not Bo's doing. The Marquette game has been on the schedule for years and they play is a warm weather classic like us.

Kohl Center W, 77-40
11/14/14 vs. Northern Kentucky TV Kohl Center 8:00 p.m. CT
11/16/14 vs. Chattanooga TV Kohl Center 12:00 p.m. CT
11/19/14 vs. Green Bay TV Kohl Center 8:00 p.m. CT
11/22/14 vs. Boise State TV Kohl Center 9:00 p.m. CT
Battle 4 Atlantis
11/26/14 vs. UAB TV Paradise Island, Bahamas 6:00 p.m. CT
11/27/14 Florida/Georgetown Paradise Island, Bahamas TBA
11/28/14 TBD Paradise Island, Bahamas TBA
12/03/14 vs. Duke TV Kohl Center 8:30 p.m. CT
12/06/14 at Marquette TV Milwaukee, Wis. 11:30 a.m. CT
12/10/14 at Milwaukee TV Milwaukee, Wis. 8:00 p.m. CT
12/13/14 vs. Nicholls State TV Kohl Center 2:00 p.m. CT
12/22/14 at California TV Berkeley, Calif. 8:00 p.m. CT
12/28/14 vs. Buffalo TV

Not sure why this schedule is so great. Duke is a ACC/BIG matchup and not Bo's doing. The Marquette game has been on the schedule for years and they play is a warm weather classic like us.

Kohl Center W, 77-40
11/14/14 vs. Northern Kentucky TV Kohl Center 8:00 p.m. CT
11/16/14 vs. Chattanooga TV Kohl Center 12:00 p.m. CT
11/19/14 vs. Green Bay TV Kohl Center 8:00 p.m. CT
11/22/14 vs. Boise State TV Kohl Center 9:00 p.m. CT
Battle 4 Atlantis
11/26/14 vs. UAB TV Paradise Island, Bahamas 6:00 p.m. CT
11/27/14 Florida/Georgetown Paradise Island, Bahamas TBA
11/28/14 TBD Paradise Island, Bahamas TBA
12/03/14 vs. Duke TV Kohl Center 8:30 p.m. CT
12/06/14 at Marquette TV Milwaukee, Wis. 11:30 a.m. CT
12/10/14 at Milwaukee TV Milwaukee, Wis. 8:00 p.m. CT
12/13/14 vs. Nicholls State TV Kohl Center 2:00 p.m. CT
12/22/14 at California TV Berkeley, Calif. 8:00 p.m. CT
12/28/14 vs. Buffalo TV

(1) Green Bay = Horizon League favorite.

(2) Boise State = Mountain West opponent expected to be a NCAA/NIT type squad

(3-4) Battle 4 Atlantis = likely 2 of Florida/Georgetown/North Carolina/Oklahoma

(5) Duke = enough said

(6) Marquette = road Big East opponent

(7) Cal = road Pac 12 opponent.

That means likely 7 (of 13) games vs. competition either from a major conference or ones I'd expect to finish in the top 75-100 of the RPI. Not to mention the Badgers open with UAB in the Bahamas, at worst likely a decent opponent (top-150ish), or that they play 6 road/neutral games, including 3 true road games.

The Gophers have 4 major conference/top 75-100ish games (Louisville, Saint John's, Georgia/Gonzaga, Wake Forest), and perhaps a 5th (Western Kentucky). That's not enough IMO. No reason a program of the Gophers' ilk shouldn't have 6-7 (roughly half) every season. That would still leave plenty of room for 6 or 7 automatic W's. The Gophers have 4 road/neutral games, but only 1 of those is a true road game. I don't think I need to mention (again) what the home schedule looks like.

With all due respect Bayfield, there is no comparing these two non-conference schedules. That said, I acknowledge that the Gophers were hurt by the NIT's inability to round up its usual 16-team field, which likely would have meant a decent home opponent (maybe a team similar to UAB?) in the 2nd round.

Bottom line is if Gophers go 1-3 vs. their 4 notable opponents (or even 2-2 if Louisville/Gonzaga aren't 1 of the 2 wins), they'll have major ground to cover in the Big Ten season with what appears to be a softer Big Ten schedule. That means fewer quality-win opportunities as they only play Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Illinois once apiece.

Beating Louisville would be a nice head start.

For some of my college basketball takes feel free to follow me on Twitter @Fieldof68Freak. There'll be some college football stuff, too, but not as much now that hoops starts on Friday.

Gophers will finish 4th or better.

:clap::clap:
The first set of rankings are based on each school's (projected) 6 best/notable non-Big Ten opponents. The average RPI of the 6 opponents is noted in parentheses. In addition, there's a second set of rankings, which includes the average RPI of ALL (projected) nonconference opponents.

The Rankings (Best 6 Opponents)
1. Michigan (31.666)
2. Wisconsin (45.333)
3. Nebraska (45.5)
4. Iowa (45.833)
5. Illinois (50)
6. Maryland (61)
7. Purdue (73.666)
8. Rutgers (85.666)
9. GOPHERS (85.833)
10. Indiana (88.833)
11. Michigan State (95.333)
12. Ohio State (101.666)
13. Penn State (125)
14. Northwestern (134.166)

2. Wisconsin -- vs. *Florida, (1), Duke (9), vs. *North Carolina (25), @ Cal (63), Boise State (82), @ Marquette (92)

3. Nebraska -- vs. *Wichita State (4), Creighton (10), Cincinnati (21), vs. *George Washington (29), @ Florida State (54), @ Rhode Island (155)

4. Iowa -- Iowa State (7), @ North Carolina (25), North Dakota State (35), vs. Texas (36), vs. *Cal (63), vs. Northern Iowa (109)

5. Illinois -- vs. Villanova (5), vs. Oregon (28), vs. *Memphis (37), vs. Missouri (49), vs. Indiana State (71), @ Miami-Florida (110)

6. Maryland -- vs. *Iowa State (7), Virginia (8), vs. Arizona State (44), @ Oklahoma State (45), NCCU (99), SC-Upstate (163)

7. Purdue -- vs. *BYU (31), vs. *Missouri (49), vs. Kansas State (51), NC State (55), @ Vanderbilt (120), vs. Notre Dame (136)

8. Rutgers -- George Washington (29), vs. Manhattan (60), @ Clemson (79), vs. *La Salle (98), vs. Vanderbilt (120), @ Seton Hall (128)

9. GOPHERS -- vs. Louisville (19), vs. *Gonzaga (20), vs. Saint John's (67), @ Wake Forest (113), Western Kentucky (125), Southern U (171)

10. Indiana -- vs. Louisville (19), Pitt (39), SMU (53), vs. Georgetown (69), vs. Butler (150), Grand Canyon (203)

11. Michigan State -- vs. *Kansas (3), vs. Duke (9), Eastern Michigan (86), @ Notre Dame (136), vs. *Georgia Tech (157), Oakland (181)

12. Ohio State -- @ Louisville (19), vs. North Carolina (25), Marquette (92), Morehead State (141), Miami-Ohio (161), High Point (172)

13. Penn State -- George Washington (29), Akron (93), vs. *Miami-Florida (110), vs. Drexel (132), vs. *South Carolina (140), Virginia Tech (246)

14. Northwestern -- Western Michigan (66), vs. *Northern Iowa (109), @ Butler (150), Georgia Tech (157), vs. Miami-Ohio (161), Elon (162)

The Rankings (Average RPI of All Projected Opponents)
1. Wisconsin (118)
2. **Michigan (147.333)
3. Maryland (150.384)
4. Iowa (155.615)
5. Illinois (157.23)
6. Nebraska (164.333)
7. Purdue (165.461)
8. Penn State (173)
9. Michigan State (187.461)
10. Rutgers (189.769)
11. **GOPHERS (192.076)
12. Indiana (193.846)
13. Ohio State (195.769)
14. Northwestern (217.384)

**Denotes team is playing a non-DI opponent, which is assigned a RPI of #350.

If interested in my college hoops takes, you're welcome to follow me on Twitter @Fieldof68Freak.

Great update! Thanks!

I second that.

Good work from GW. We go about it different ways, but we both came to the same conlcusion. ... the Gophers' nonconference schedule (in comparison to other Big Ten teams) is likely to look exceedingly pedestrian come mid-March, especially if there's no Gonzaga.

I still wonder if this schedule is the reason why Josh Adel is no longer the Director of Basketball Operations?

Top Bottom