Cannon questions

Today I learned that you can purchase a cannon on the Internet. God bless America.

However, if you're in the market for a new cannon, I HIGHLY recommend a Howitzer 105:

We don't feel the need to overcompensate, but thank you.

Ready for this one?

A friend of mine used to work in the athletic department at the U. That friend called a former co-worker to ask why the cannon wasn't being used.

The answer?

Because of the zero tolerance policy toward weapons.

Seriously.

Sometimes you can't even make it up.

Ready for this one?

A friend of mine used to work in the athletic department at the U. That friend called a former co-worker to ask why the cannon wasn't being used.

The answer?

Seriously.

that explains the offense the 1st two games.

The "U" can find a way to absolutely f*<& everything up.

No idea if this is true, but one would think this information would be too rich for some in the media to pass up. Maybe this thread will ignite that query.
If true, unreal. I haven't been to a track meet in a few years. Do they still use a starter pistol? If the cannon goes, that surely would be next.

Maybe the ROTC has a cannon and could fire it off after each score. I don't know where you'd put a howitzer at TCF but it is a tradition that shouldn't just die.

Isn't this something the ROTC at the U used to do when games were playes at Memorial stadium, I thought read somewhere that up until the Vietnam war, there was a group of ROTC cadets that would fire off a howitzer at the University of Minnesota with scores. Never saw a game in Old Memorial and all that was left when I was a student was the shell of the stadium. Any long time fans rememember if the ROTC did this.

Ready for this one?

The answer?

Seriously.

That's nuts. So to recap, T-shirt Gatling cannon: OK. Tiny blank-firing cannon: no go. Right... I hope no one explains to athletics department what pyrotechnics are made of....

There is no way that the weapons policy is the reason. I refuse to believe that the U could possibly be that dumb.

When you say "U" I think you mean "wymyn's studies".

I asked this same question in...the MTSU in game thread? I think... but yeah, everytime we score I don't remember hearing the cannon going off...what the

Ready for this one?

The answer?

Seriously.

And sometimes you can. With friend of a friend stories, it's easy for someone's guess to be mistaken for fact. If the U was banning the cannon because of weapons policy, why did they have it at TCF the past five seasons?

I've never heard of anyone complaining about noise. Retiring traditions because the person who did it retired is a mistake. It leaves you without traditions. It is those traditions that keep the game day from being sterile. If there are safety issues with the cannon, then spring for a safer cannon.

I only have that short WCCO piece to go on but it sounds like Rod took his ball and went home. And as a big donor, if he requested the cannon not be shot now... It sounds like the U listened.

Ready for this one?

The answer?

Seriously.

Rodent was right

Traditions with staying power involve the students, that's what keeps them vigorous and alive. If the cannon was part of a student group that took pride in it, it would not go away as easily.

Top Bottom