Washburn alum transfer to Gophers?

tech020

Reaction score
Besides Jones, what former Miller is now on the Gophers roster? Must be some sort of secret as the press hasn't smoked it out.

Source on the news?

Best I can tell there are very few Washburn players in the databases (looking at Rivals):

2010: none
2011: none
2012: Kyle Hughes (none listed)
2013: Jamison Whiting (Northern Iowa, started five games as a freshman last year), Noah Scarver (none)
2014: Jeff Jones (Minnesota), Clayton Burton (none)

Here's what I found - nothing really, but interesting:

 2014: Minnesota Sleepers (Clayton Burton, DE)

Scout spent some time in the Twin Cities this week, and beyond just looking at the prospects with the major offers, saw several seniors who may not have the big time offers yet, but are putting together great seasons and are worthy of additional looks.

Noah Scarver for the University of Montana?

It looks like he plays tight end and redshirted in 2013. He's gotta be a walk on. I'm happy to have him give it a go.

Athletic kid with good size, can't hurt.

Here's a link to Scarver's profile at Montana last year. I checked the Montana roster & he is not now listed.

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/noah_scarver_850838.html

Interesting that the Rivals recruiting link above shows his weight at 215 lbs. and the Montana roster had him up to 250 lbs. He may well be a late developer. He just turned nineteen about 3 weeks ago.

Wonder if he is being looked at as a d-line project or if he'll stay at tight end.

Good prospect at DE 6:6 265. Rooming with Jeff Jones. Super Kid. Led state in Sacks senior year !

per Shama:

Another new player who has Kill’s attention in practice is 6-5, 273-pound Montana University transfer Noah Scarver. A redshirt freshman tight end for the Gophers who will be eligible to play next season, Scarver attended Washburn High School before starting his college career.

“He’s always been a good football player,” said Giovan Jenkins who coached him at Washburn. “I’ve known for a long time that he could play at this level (Big Ten Conference) but he did get bigger. He’s about 30 pounds heavier from when he graduated high school (2013) and it’s all muscle.”

Jenkins, now a volunteer coach for the Gophers, said Scarver needs to improve his blocking but is a “technician” at running routes and has “pretty good hands.” The blocking “will come as he continues to learn,” Jenkins said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

TE might not be the weak pont of the offense many people expect it to be. Considering the significance of the position in this offense, the added depth is a welcoming development.

Can't wait to see how this offense looks when they suit up for TCU.

TE might not be the weak pont of the offense many people expect it to be. Considering the significance of the position in this offense, the added depth is a welcoming development.

Can't wait to see how this offense looks when they suit up for TCU.

I'm not sure why people are so optimistic about the offense.
MN lost the 2 most dominant offensive players they had.....you have seen yrs of Killball and fully understand that he runs, runs, runs, runs, runs, runs.

MN lost the 2 most dominant offensive players they had.....you have seen yrs of Killball and fully understand that he runs, runs, runs, runs, runs, runs.

Wrong again. Kill uses the tools that he has at disposal. This year he will have a more seasoned QB and more and better and WRs. When he had the right tools at NI he used them and he will do the same here. There is reason why he has been recruiting big athletic WRs and it isn't because he just wants better blockers.

Wrong again. Kill uses the tools that he has at disposal. This year he will have a more seasoned QB and more and better and WRs. When he had the right tools at NI he used them and he will do the same here. There is reason why he has been recruiting big athletic WRs and it isn't because he just wants better blockers.

Not that I disagree...but how does this explain so few screen pass attempts?

Cobb was VERY good, I'll give you that. But it sounds like Nugget has put in a lot of work during the off season (lost significant weight) and is ready to compete for that starting role. Plus Kill sounds very confident in both Jones and Smith being able to step in. Add in the fact that Leidner played half the season on a bum leg and I don't really see our running attack taking a step back at all. The only real questions is whether our redshirt freshman WRs are really going to be as dominant as people are saying. I haven't made it to a practice yet but will go to a couple in the next weeks and can't wait to see. If we really do have receivers that will be hard to cover (for the first time since decker) then our TEs will be able to get open and catch balls just fine.

I'm optimistic because Cobb came out of nowhere. Somebody always steps up. Couple that with the fact that we have a stable of backs and we are building depth and experience at O-line.

Wisconsin doesn't panic when a thousand-yard rusher graduates. It's not unreasonable to think we are starting to build something here ourselves. Why shouldn't we be optimistic.

I think with all the new guys in prominent roles, the offense may take a couple games to gel (which is why it might not be pretty with us opening up against a defense that is usually pretty darn dominant) so I guess I see your point. But, I do think by mid-season this offense will at least be where it was last year...with 2016 seeing a significant jump.

We have come a long ways in rebuilding over the Kill years. We have come from from from not being 1 deep to being 2 deep+. I think we are ready to plug and play/reload (at the 8-3 level anyway, likely more). We will give TCU a much better game this year. We just might win! I have no concerns about replacing very good players. To win the West we better give TCU one heck of a game.

We have come a long ways in rebuilding over the Kill years. We have come from from from not being 1 deep to being 2 deep+. I think we are ready to plug and play/reload (at the 8-3 level anyway, likely more). We will give TCU a much better game this year. We just might win! I have no concerns about replacing very good players. To win the West we better give TCU one heck of a game.

My hope is that JJ runs for 2000 yds every season he is here. I used to hope for a passing game but now i have accepted Kill Ball for what it is. Stifling defense and ball control.

My hope is that JJ runs for 2000 yds every season he is here. I used to hope for a passing game but now i have accepted Kill Ball for what it is. Stifling defense and ball control.

LOL - So you have given up on the passing game. You're certainly right that the personality of this team has been the run and defense. Kill though has been taking some clues from his good friend Patterson at TCU. This includes upgrading the skilled positions and study and beginning to implement a no huddle option. It appears to me that maybe you are looking too much in your rear view mirror and not enough at where we are going. If you weren't, you might have noticed that Kill has been focused on upgrading the passing game. The fruits of this labor can be seen by the number of recent new very good skilled receivers. This fall we should begin to see the offense that Kill ran at Northern Illinois. That offense included an excellent passing game. Yes, Kill is a run guy but he also realizes that you need a passing game is you want to compete at a higher level. So don't write off the passing game so quickly.

I'm optimistic because Cobb came out of nowhere. Somebody always steps up. Couple that with the fact that we have a stable of backs and we are building depth and experience at O-line.

Wisconsin doesn't panic when a thousand-yard rusher graduates. It's not unreasonable to think we are starting to build something here ourselves. Why shouldn't we be optimistic.
Not to say Wiscy doesn't have great backs, they do. They have been successful because of their O-line. The Gophers have a damn good offensive line. Makes the entire offense better.

LOL - So you have given up on the passing game. You're certainly right that the personality of this team has been the run and defense. Kill though has been taking some clues from his good friend Patterson at TCU. This includes upgrading the skilled positions and study and beginning to implement a no huddle option. It appears to me that maybe you are looking too much in your rear view mirror and not enough at where we are going. If you weren't, you might have noticed that Kill has been focused on upgrading the passing game. The fruits of this labor can be seen by the number of recent new very good skilled receivers. This fall we should begin to see the offense that Kill ran at Northern Illinois. That offense included an excellent passing game. Yes, Kill is a run guy but he also realizes that you need a passing game is you want to compete at a higher level. So don't write off the passing game so quickly.

All this is right. However, so was Wait!What?'s statement you responded to that said the Gophers Identity is defense and ball control. That isn't changing this year regardless of how much better our passing game will be (and I do think it will be much better).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All this is right. However, so was Wait!What?'s statement you responded to that said the Gophers Identity is defense and ball control. That isn't changing this year regardless of how much better our passing game will be (and I do think it will be much better).

In addition everyone keeps talking as though the no huddle they are putting in for practices means that we will be using it during games, and become a part of our offense. While I think in very small doses this could be true, even more so I believe they are putting this in since we are simulating TCU, who runs the no huddle like nobody's business. I am surprised no one has really talked about this, since us not being prepared for the no huddle is what got us in trouble a lot. This wrinkle of no huddle could simply be to help us prepare for TCU, nothing more.

It's nice tallking some football with you guys again. I am gonna probably try to make the 9:50 AM practice on Sat...anyone else?

Yep, that is correct and that what I thought I was saying with my next to the last sentence.:confused:

Top Bottom