What did Tom Dienhart learn about Big Ten in Week 1? (MN O still needs big-play)

BleedGopher

Reaction score

What did Tom Dienhart learn about Big Ten in Week 1?

Antonio Thompson is not a real person? Brandon Lindgren did not move to DL? I need to do at least 10 minutes of research and fact-checking before writing a story?

Antonio Thompson is not a real person? Brandon Lindgren did not move to DL? I need to do at least 10 minutes of research and fact-checking before writing a story?

Despite those mistakes he isn't wrong on this one. Only real explosive play in the passing game was Jones making a nice catch on a bad throw that probably gets picked or at least batted down by better defensive backs. Will be interesting to see if the passing game takes a step forward in the next few weeks, we are going to need it to.

Despite those mistakes he isn't wrong on this one. Only real explosive play in the passing game was Jones making a nice catch on a bad throw that probably gets picked or at least batted down by better defensive backs. Will be interesting to see if the passing game takes a step forward in the next few weeks, we are going to need it to.

I don't disagree with it either. Was just poking some fun at him.

I would add in the plays to Maxx and Edwards TD run. Agree with the basic statement of his take, and really agree with those poking fun at him!

Since we threw it deep only twice and one was a catchable ball that was dropped I'd say we need to work on execution and maybe try to stretch the field one or two more throws per game.

We absolutely have to include explosive running plays when discussing this.

I don't understand the hate on the jones td. Fitting balls into small windows is always a calculated risk. The really good qbs will make similar throws all day long. Only self-hating gopher fans complain about a throw that results in the DB whiffing and a td. Maybe Mitch knew this DB wasn't Big Ten fast? Consider tha?

Since we threw it deep only twice and one was a catchable ball that was dropped I'd say we need to work on execution and maybe try to stretch the field one or two more throws per game.

We absolutely have to include explosive running plays when discussing this.

I don't understand the hate on the jones td. Fitting balls into small windows is always a calculated risk. The really good qbs will make similar throws all day long. Only self-hating gopher fans complain about a throw that results in the DB whiffing and a td. Maybe Mitch knew this DB wasn't Big Ten fast? Consider tha?

While I get your point that was a bad throw by Mitch and Jones bailed him out. There is no way that was where Mitch was trying to throw the ball because no coach in the world teaches a QB to aim low and slightly behind the WR on that route. It was a very nice play by Jones and hopefully the first of many like it but it was not a good throw by Mitch.

Jones beat his defender down the middle earlier for an easy TD had ML7 not have greatly under threw that ball. He hits that one and our explosive plays ratio looks just fine. Assuming he can hit that one???

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

Like others have said we don't know what route jones was running (did he?). Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Right now I think Jones is a developing average receiver with above average speed and athleticism. If he and Leidner can put it all together we can have a nice tandem. Don't get me wrong, Leidner has to get a lot better over the course of this season.

Look. Leidner admitted that he was nervous at the start of the game. He looked much better as the game went on. I was actually more concerned about the run game than the passing game. I honestly expected the Gophs to come out and run it down EI's throat - 400yds rushing or something like that.

The Gophers are a run-first team. That is their identity. I have no problem with that. And, you can have big plays in the run game, too - see Berkley Edwards.

Jones beat his defender down the middle earlier for an easy TD had ML7 not have greatly under threw that ball. He hits that one and our explosive plays ratio looks just fine. Assuming he can hit that one???

The ball Jones didn't fight for? Look, receivers have to be able to compete for the ball. There are going to be scenarios where he's fighting for the ball, eg very common in the endzone.

Misjudging the ball, jumping 3 feet off the ground and trying to one hand the ball isn't going to cut it.

Look. Leidner admitted that he was nervous at the start of the game. He looked much better as the game went on. I was actually more concerned about the run game than the passing game. I honestly expected the Gophs to come out and run it down EI's throat - 400yds rushing or something like that.

The Gophers are a run-first team. That is their identity. I have no problem with that. And, you can have big plays in the run game, too - see Berkley Edwards.

We definitely did not control the LOS the way you would hope a BIG team would against an FCS squad. If we struggle to control the line against MTSU that might begin to be a cause for some concern because the offense is going to be need to be able to control the game on the ground.

The explosive run by Edwards certainly counts as an explosive play but Dienhart's comment was more centered on explosive plays in the passing game.

While I get your point that was a bad throw by Mitch and Jones bailed him out. There is no way that was where Mitch was trying to throw the ball because no coach in the world teaches a QB to aim low and slightly behind the WR on that route. It was a very nice play by Jones and hopefully the first of many like it but it was not a good throw by Mitch.

Yup and Yup.

And if Leidner was nervous at the start of the game vs EI, how nervous will he be for the Big Ten games......expecially on the road?

The ball Jones didn't fight for? Look, receivers have to be able to compete for the ball. There are going to be scenarios where he's fighting for the ball, eg very common in the endzone.

Misjudging the ball, jumping 3 feet off the ground and trying to one hand the ball isn't going to cut it.

You've been wrong before, but never more wrong. That pass was no where near where it was supposed to be. 100% on ML7. I'd bet my house Mitch would agree.

You've been wrong before, but never more wrong. That pass was no where near where it was supposed to be. 100% on ML7. I'd bet my house Mitch would agree.

You might want to try webuyuglyhouses first.

Yup and Yup.

And if Leidner was nervous at the start of the game vs EI, how nervous will he be for the Big Ten games......expecially on the road?

Excitement for the game. He played very well at the start of Michigan last year.

You're right, I've been wrong. But not here. Not a great throw but a catchable ball against a TINY DB. 5'10" and 172 pounds.

Even you or I can run a post against air and catch the ball in stride. Good to great receivers can adjust to underthrown balls, turn their bodies and use their bodies to block out the DB, and use TWO hands to make the catch. I've seen several poor efforts out of Jones now. I don't know if he has "it" yet but if he wants to play on sundays he's going to need to get better as a complete receiver.

You're right, I've been wrong. But not here. Not a great throw but a catchable ball against a TINY DB. 5'10" and 172 pounds.

Even you or I can run a post against air and catch the ball in stride. Good to great receivers can adjust to underthrown balls, turn their bodies and use their bodies to block out the DB, and use TWO hands to make the catch. I've seen several poor efforts out of Jones now. I don't know if he has "it" yet but if he wants to play on sundays he's going to need to get better as a complete receiver.

"Poor effort" is probably an unfair phrase. The kid's only been playing WR for one year now. I agree he could have adjusted better and given himself a good shot to make that catch

what about Edwards 40 something scamper? I guess this was already brought. Up. My bad.

Yes, maybe poor choice of words on my part. Have been accused of that before.

I should have said betteradjustment, focus, and using of the hands to catch the ball are things he needs to work on. If you look at his highlight reel from last year he used his body to catch the ball about half the time. It's good he caught it, obviously, and some of those were great catches but I don't think that's how they teach it.

Leidner knowing where to throw it is a mute point, because the route Jones ran was... Hell, I don't what to call it. I had to rewind my DVR twice to see that route. He sprints out, then kind of listlessly slows to a turn around and makes 2-3 awkward steps. The ball ends up in the only spot that would get past the db and into Jones outstretched arms. But it is pretty clear the TD that occurred, was by dumb luck and not precision. I'm a total homer, but the DVR doesn't lie...

Opening scene to a Castle episode. Guy runs down an alley and pulls out a gun, turns and fires an entire magazine at a van hurtling toward the shooter. At the last shot in the magazine, the shooter gets run over.

Next shot, a pancake gets flipped on a griddle.

What we learned: Eastern was the shooter. Next week, MTSU is the shooter.

Opening scene to a Castle episode. Guy runs down an alley and pulls out a gun, turns and fires an entire magazine at a van hurtling toward the shooter. At the last shot in the magazine, the shooter gets run over.

Next shot, a pancake gets flipped on a griddle.

What we learned: Eastern was the shooter. Next week, MTSU is the shooter.
I'll have what he's having.

Top Bottom