Gopherhole, I humbly request your help in pregame activity selection

upnorthkid

Reaction score
Hey all. My buddies and I are making our annual trip down to watch the Gophers destroy (hopefully) MTSU this weekend. Personally, since I make it to most of the home games, I would take them tailgating. However they have requested to try see something different pregame this year and want to do some bar hopping pregame. We're all in our early 20's and looking for a sports bar vibe to have some drinks. Does anyone have a recommendation? Trying to make sure they all have a good time so I can convince them all to come back again for Iowa in November so GH I'm trusting your selections, for better or worse! Thanks for the help.

Go bar hoping on the LRT and then to the game.

I assume you mean bar hopping in downtown Minneapolis and then the light rail?

You could start off with visiting the Fulton Brewery and then work your way to some of the other warehouse district bars. Fulton is at 414 6th Ave N, Minneapolis MN 55401

Frankly, the bar hopping pre-game on campus is tough - overcrowded and not that many places to choose from. Downtown might be a better bet.

You could start off with visiting the Fulton Brewery and then work your way to some of the other warehouse district bars. Fulton is at 414 6th Ave N, Minneapolis MN 55401

Frankly, the bar hopping pre-game on campus is tough - overcrowded and not that many places to choose from. Downtown might be a better bet.[/QUOTE]

I disgagree somewhat with the above comments. Even though the game is not until 2:30, I would expect the downtown bar scene to be very dead unless there happens to be an early Twins game that day. A Twins game would improve the atmosphere.

I might consider hitting the lower Nicollet Mall though if he weather is nice, since Britt's upper bowling lawn, plus the nearby Barrio, Newsroom, and Local Pub are always good.

I'd just head to Dinkytown and it the Library and Blarney Pub.. The guys in your age range will appreciate the general atmosphere in those two places. One the way to the Stadium the Buffalo Wild Wings tent is worth a stop.

Okay, i just checked and the Twins host the Angels at 6, so i would not expect much early in DT, other than the lower Nicollet Mall.

Agreed - I really don't think the downtown Minneapolis bars will be very busy on a Saturday morning. If you want bars before the game, I think your best option will be all of the usual places on or near campus / Dinkytown.

I guess when I read "bar hopping" I wouldn't really consider stopping at 2 or 3 campus bars as that. I guess it depends what they are looking for. If you want to be around lots of Gopher fans then, yes, stay on campus. If you want to see different bars (granted, MUCH less crowded) then I would recommend downtown or even northeast Minneapolis.

Don't take any advice here, upnorth. Wing it and report later.

Don't take any advice here, upnorth. Wing it and report later.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Just so you know, New Bohemia probably doesn't serve Old Mil and Blatz so you probably wouldn't want to go there! :>)

What's going to be your home base? Spending the night downtown? Maybe just hit Grumpy's, head down Washington Ave to Town Hall and or Republic at 7 Corners. Republic has a nice big patio and usually one really good beer special (good pint for $3 all day). From there you can walk or LRT to the stadium.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Just so you know, New Bohemia probably doesn't serve Old Mil and Blatz so you probably wouldn't want to go there! :>)

Bayfield, I have tried it, and I prefer to wing it, and go from there.

If it doesn't rain, the back parking lot at Stub & Herb's has a decent atmosphere before and especially after the game.

There is also a pregame party for all fans with a full bar and food in the Alumni Center lobby. It draws a decent sized crowd. With our game at 2:30 PM, the big screen will have one of the early games on. There have been food trucks parked in the drop off circle out front for Vikings pregame, but I got to the Eastern Illinois game late and don't know if they're on the scene for the Gophers.

Where is "home"? Are you staying downtown somewhere or are you driving to the game and driving home? For me this info would determine what I do.

Where is "home"? Are you staying downtown somewhere or are you driving to the game and driving home? For me this info would determine what I do.

we're going to be away from downtown but will be heading "towards campus" to start the day. With everything being so connected it doesn't really matter for us where we start and after the game we plan on continuing with post-game festivities so any place you would recommend is great. I always like havnig ideas

after weighing the choices, we will start the day with tailgating in the Ski U Mah lot (so if you see someone in a Jerrysota shirt with some bright orange Oakleys and 5 friends that have all had far too much to drink, come say hi if you want), bar hop around campus/Dinkytown as desired pregame and post game, and then do the downtown circuit tomorrow night. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Top Bottom