Gophers open as 14 point favorites vs MTSU

Only 14? Bet the farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I'd hope the Gophers could beat this team by more than 25-30. +Fourteen is a bit of a slap in the face, not?

Yeah, it's hard to get a feel for them after week 1. They played one of the worst D1 programs in the country in Savannah St. It does look like they have a new starting QB this year.

Wow. I'd hope the Gophers could beat this team by more than 25-30. +Fourteen is a bit of a slap in the face, not?

The line for EIU was only 14.5, so I'm not surprised by this.

it's the opening line as well. we'll see where it settles as Saturday comes nearer

But if we only win by 14 folks here will be calling for Streveler and the firing of Kill???

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

But if we only win by 14 folks here will be calling for Streveler and the firing of Kill???

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

not Kill but probably Limegrover and Mitch's head on a stick

14 is a pretty big spread for an offensively challenged team. Sounds about right to me.

14 is a pretty big spread for an offensively challenged team. Sounds about right to me.

Yeah but, the defense and special teams are good for a TD each, right? It's just preseason, they're saving all of the good plays for Big Ten season, you know, to not show their hand. The real stuff is coming soon, you just wait.

Sorry, just thought I'd rehash all of the arguments the homers were making last year during the "preseason".

Seriously, as vanilla as our offense is, and assuming their offense will produce as many yards as the Gophers (unless Limegrover decides to actually try), I still think we beat MTSU by more than 14.

While it's true that the 2013 Middle Tennessee posted an 8-4 season then ultimately lost to Navy (24-6, Armed Forces Bowl), it's difficult to gauge how good they actually are.

These were MTSU's 8 victories last year.
W. Carolina - 2-10
Memphis - 3-9
*FAU - 6-6
*Marshall - 10-4 (Marshall won the Military Bowl against Maryland 31-20)
UAB - 2-10
FIU - 1-11
Southern Miss - 1-11
UTEP - 2-10
That's quite the Murderer's Row. ;) To be fair, they did beat Marshall (something Maryland failed to do). How has their starters/staff changed from 2013 to 2014?

Makes sense that Vegas would be somewhat conservative with the line for our game, especially after seeing how long it took for us to pull away from Eastern Illinois. I would be willing to bet that Vegas is still a little unsure what to do with us or MTSU at the moment given the teams we both faced in week 1.

Yeah but, the defense and special teams are good for a TD each, right? It's just preseason, they're saving all of the good plays for Big Ten season, you know, to not show their hand. The real stuff is coming soon, you just wait.

Sorry, just thought I'd rehash all of the arguments the homers were making last year during the "preseason".

Seriously, as vanilla as our offense is, and assuming their offense will produce as many yards as the Gophers (unless Limegrover decides to actually try), I still think we beat MTSU by more than 14.

Why are you here if you're not a homer?

Betting lines are set to encourage betting. Making the Gophs a 14-pt favorite could (theoretically) encourage more Gopher fans to bet on the Gophs to cover the spread.

Betting lines are set to encourage betting. Making the Gophs a 14-pt favorite could (theoretically) encourage more Gopher fans to bet on the Gophs to cover the spread.

Which, in turn, will cause the spread to widen. I don't think it's a slap in the face at all. Off shore betting starts something, and if the opening spread would have been, say 28, more money would have gone to MTSU and the line would shrink.

Wow. 4 years and y'all still remember me. How sweet. To be honest, I don't know what to expect for this game. We played a sad, sad, sad Savannah State and absolutely demolished them throughout a 4 hour monsoon. Really hard to judge a team by that. I will say that we do have a new starting QB, Grammer. We also have Erdley, who I actually thought was better during public practice and he also had a TD this past Saturday. I know several people making the trip and I am hoping for no rain. I will be in a friend's wedding but catching the game updates when I can. Good Luck but Go Blue!

Our coaching has changed tremendously since 2010 as well, for those that are wondering. I will have to get back to you on those changes. It will seriously take a spreadsheet of organization to show that. I think we have had 3 offensive coordinators in 4 years...

Wow. 4 years and y'all still remember me. How sweet. To be honest, I don't know what to expect for this game. We played a sad, sad, sad Savannah State and absolutely demolished them throughout a 4 hour monsoon. Really hard to judge a team by that. I will say that we do have a new starting QB, Grammer. We also have Erdley, who I actually thought was better during public practice and he also had a TD this past Saturday. I know several people making the trip and I am hoping for no rain. I will be in a friend's wedding but catching the game updates when I can. Good Luck but Go Blue!
You have no idea how much of a legend you are on this site.

Middle Tennessee State will never be able to withstand the cold.

Top Bottom