GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 8/31/14

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill joined Sid and Dave live at the Minnesota State Fair.

Sid opened the show singing the praises of Coach Kill.

1) Sid’s first question was about Wisconsin losing two defensive linemen in last night’s game with LSU: Kill replied quickly about having 3 DL go down with injuries in Thursday’s game, “We’ll have to see (how serious the injuries are) . . . Hard to replace defensive linemen!” Coach did not give out the names of the players injured in the game against Eastern Illinois University or the nature of their injuries. (The three DL that were injured Thursday night: Alex Keith, Yashoub Timms, and Scott Ekpe.)

2) Sid then asked if Coach Kill watched Wisconsin’s game last night with LSU: Kill laughing, “We were preparing for our upcoming game.” However, he said he saw some of the second half: “LSU got some momentum on a punt . . . LSU ran the ball effectively.”

3) Sid asked for his analysis of the EIU game: “You never like the first game,” said Kill. “Never know what they’re going to do, especially with a new coach.”

Kill said the Gophers offensive line graded out well.

“Linebackers did well.”

“Kicking game was good.”

“Offensively, struggled the first half . . . 2nd half things got better.”

4) Sid said you have to throw the ball if you’re going win: “No question about that . . . (especially) when you get eight men on the line,” replied Kill.

Kill sounded excited when he added, “More playmakers than last year.” He cited receivers Donavahn Jones, Berkley Edwards, KJ Maye, and tight end Maxx Williams as playmakers.

He ended the question saying receiver Drew Wolitarsky and defensive end Michael Amaefula will be back and ready for next week’s game.

5) Sid asked about the kicking game: “We were aggressive in kicking and punting,” said Kill. He sounded very pleased with Ryan Santoso’s booming kick-offs that sailed through the end zone.
Kill saluted defensive back/special teams coach Jay Sawvel when he was discussing the kicking game.

6) Dave Mona complimented the team’s secondary: Kill said, “We’ve got a lot of depth . . . (DBs) one of our strengths.” Again, Kill sounded very pleased when he talked about the talent and depth in the secondary.

7) Sid commented on the number of true freshmen that saw action in Thursday’s game: “I’d love to redshirt all of them . . . (they’re) very talented,” Kill answered.

The following freshmen were cited in his comments:

Craig James will be seeing action in the nickel/dime packages.

Jonathan Celestin will be seeing action at linebacker (need depth at linebacker).

Linebacker Everett Williams did not see action; however, his redshirt is coming off.

In the defensive line:

“Andrew Stelter played well.”

“Gaelin Elmore played well.”

“Steve Richardson dominated.”

Kill also said, “Brandon Lingen did a great job at tight end.”

Kill finished the question, “They’re all very talented . . . may pull a redshirt off a receiver.”

8) Sid made complimentary comments about the Wayzata players on the team and their high school coach: Kill responded, “(Wayzata head coach) Does a great job . . . kids have a great work ethic (credit to their high school coaches).”

9) Dave Mona asked about the play of Berkley Edwards: “Can play in the backfield . . . Needs to get more touches . . . He’s going to get better and better . . . Edwards ran a 10.5 (high school track) . . . He’s not just a track guy . . . (and how they got him to Minnesota) Built a relationship with his father,” Kill answered. Kill also acknowledged it didn’t hurt that Michigan didn’t offer the Michigan native, especially since his brother, Braylon, and father played and starred at Michigan.

10) Dave Mona also mentioned the kicking game as a team strength – Mortell’s punting low into the wind and the length of his punts as well as Santoso’s kick-offs: Kill acknowledged TCF Bank Stadium wind currents can present problems in the kicking game, “We need to do that in our stadium . . . kicking can be an issue . . . hope we can continue (having a strong punting/kicking game).”

11) Sid, once again, mentioned the number of true freshmen that played in Thursday’s game: Kill’s response focused on the importance recruiting in building a team and its depth – you need to build and improve your team with each recruiting class, “Next year’s recruiting class needs to be better than last year’s recruiting class.”

He also credited the strength and weight training coaches with getting the players ready to see action at an early stage. As an example, he said Gaelin Elmore reported this summer at 240 pounds; he now weighs 269 pounds.

According to Kill, workouts and eating properly are extremely important in player development.

12) Dave Mona mentioned that there are questions concerning depth at quarterback and that he was surprised with the play of Chris Streveler: Kill responded, “Chris is an athlete . . . . Played better than I thought he would.”

Coach Kill also complimented the offensive line that took the field with Chris Streveler. Kill sounded very positive about Streveler’s play as well as the offensive line.

13) Kill spent some time commenting on the Thursday’s game and the apparent problems that the offensive line encountered in the first half: “They (EIU) “sold out” . . . things (run by EIU) were a little undisciplined (caused some confusion) . . . 2nd half (Gophers) went all zone . . . had to get out on the edge.” Overall, Kill sounded pleased with the offensive line play of the Gophers and the adjustments that they made at half time.

14) Mona mentioned Maxx Williams and the hurdle he made on an EIU defender: “Maxx is a premier player in the Big 10,” Kill quickly responded. As to tight ends hurdling a tackler, Kill said it has become common and there is risk In the maneuver.

15) Sid asked about playing Middle Tennessee in the afternoon: “I don’t worry about that,” said Kill. “Afternoon games are good for the fans.” He mentioned the importance of tailgate gatherings and that they need to make “game days user friendly.”

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL. I tried listening, but Sid is unlistenable (?).

8) Sid made complimentary comments about the Wayzata players on the team and their high school coach: Kill responded, “(Wayzata head coach) Does a great job . . . kids have a great work ethic (credit to their high school coaches).”

Who's next in the Wayzata pipeline? Keep em coming coach Anderson

Thank you DL. You do a great job on this summary and I really enjoy reading it each week!

Who's next in the Wayzata pipeline? Keep em coming coach Anderson

What's with Sid's Wayzata obsession? I get it's a great program but he asks about Wayzata every other week it seems.

Thanks again DL.

What's with Sid's Wayzata obsession? I get it's a great program but he asks about Wayzata every other week it seems.

Thanks again DL.

Good question. Today Sid said his grandson went to school at Wayzata and played football there. He has graduated and is now studying - engineering I believe - at Purdue University. Coach Kill chuckled when Sid said his grandson is at Purdue. He told Sid his grandson should spend his college years at the U.

Go Gophers!!

Good question. Today Sid said his grandson went to school at Wayzata and played football there. He has graduated and is now studying - engineering I believe - at Purdue University. Coach Kill chuckled when Sid said his grandson is at Purdue. He told Sid his grandson should spend his college years at the U.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks, I sure don't blame him for going to Purdue for engineering.

Thanks, I sure don't blame him for going to Purdue for engineering.

I do.

Thanks, DL. Superb as always. For those of us who have suffered as Gopher fans since Coach Stoll, Jerry Kill is a delight. Old school, blue collar winner. This team is a great representative of the U. They are a class act on the field.

I was serious though about Wayzata. Do they have any players?

Much thx. Just can't listen to Sid any longer so this summary is all the more appreciated.

Thanks for the recap...very much appreciated.

Top Bottom