Badger Passing Offense

Wisconsin lost 2 DL and it became apparent that LSU could then run at will. Wisconsin looked out of sorts and I will chalk it up to first game and competition being LSU

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was also LSU's first game. That's how season openers generally work.

Silver lining...Badger passing game looks worse than the Gophers. Granted its against LSU but not one receiver has gained any separation all game. Great game to increase the perception of B1G though.

Their passing game definitely looked off but they were also showing a willingness to chuck it down field and if the QB and that one receiver were on the same page they might have connected on a few of those. Rough week for both the Gophers and the Badgers in the DL department.

I don't think whiskey will win the west. Teams will stack the box to stop Gordon (I'm not impressed with Clement) and force McEvoy to pass, and their wr's can't get separation from decent db's.

A good defense will fill the gaps, contain on the outside and go man/press coverage with a "spy" to clean up the run.

Whisky will have a very tough time with IA, NE, and us. I don't recall Gordon gashing us last year (I'm sure I'll take some heat for that comment).

Wren, I think this is the year THE AXE comes home

I don't think whiskey will win the west. Teams will stack the box to stop Gordon (I'm not impressed with Clement) and force McEvoy to pass, and their wr's can't get separation from decent db's.

A good defense will fill the gaps, contain on the outside and go man/press coverage with a "spy" to clean up the run.

Whisky will have a very tough time with IA, NE, and us. I don't recall Gordon gashing us last year (I'm sure I'll take some heat for that comment).

You do realize that you could say nearly the exact same thing about our offense right? Just swap in our players for theirs. I thought it was interesting during the broadcast when the touted Wisconsin's deep TE corps as well. Seems like we are a mirror image of each other on the offensive side of the ball, and to take the similarity further both lost some top DT's during the game to potentially serious injuries.

You do realize that you could say nearly the exact same thing about our offense right? Just swap in our players for theirs. I thought it was interesting during the broadcast when the touted Wisconsin's deep TE corps as well. Seems like we are a mirror image of each other on the offensive side of the ball, and to take the similarity further both lost some top DT's during the game to potentially serious injuries.

I think that's his point, though. Wisconsin is less the national title contender some people thought, and closer to the 6-7 win type team that we are (although they'll win more based on schedule alone).

I think Jones, Woli, and Maxx can get separation, we just need Leidner to get the ball to them. Conversely, I don't think their wr's can.
I also don't recall their te catching the ball. I'm not sure that comparison is legit. Unless it's a blocking comparison, then I think whisky is probably better.

Always a good morning when I get up and see the Vadgers lost and their QB looks like he should have remained a DB!

You could see Wisconsin's passing struggles coming last year, their top returning receiver only had 127 yards in 2013. They sort of remind me of some of Glen Mason's teams, but with a much better defense.

Teams will stack the box to stop Gordon (I'm not impressed with Clement) and force McEvoy to pass, and their wr's can't get separation from decent db's.

Not sure McEvoy remains starter for long. Rumor is even the players aren't behind this - Gordon especially. Read somewhere (rumor alert) that he vocalized that during the game and may be why WI coaches didn't play the AA in the second half (save a couple carries).

I think Jones, Woli, and Maxx can get separation, we just need Leidner to get the ball to them. Conversely, I don't think their wr's can.
I also don't recall their te catching the ball. I'm not sure that comparison is legit. Unless it's a blocking comparison, then I think whisky is probably better.

I don't think they have a Maxx at TE but they did throw to them a little and the announcers made the comment about they having a very deep TE group, I don't really know anything about the actual personnel there just remarking that we have heard a similar comment about our TE core being deep.

As for receivers getting separation comparison you do need to factor in the competition, far easier to get separation against a secondary like EI then it is against LSU. Just a slight difference in the caliber of athletes especially in positions like DB.

Bottom line is as we sit here right now both teams have solid running games (though I would give them the edge in that department overall because Gordon can be elite and their O-Line is a bit more proven), and both have major questions in the passing game (we are probably a little better off there at the moment mainly because we have a potential elite weapon in Maxx). At the very least we know who our QB is we just need him to play better, not so sure theirs is set in stone after last night and how erratic their guy looked.

We need Mitch to have a game like Cook and Gardner had. 13-14 passing. Interesting how many passing attempts Iowa had. Is their running game down or were they working on passing? Looks like Indiana wanted to work on running. We can't really know trends obviously at this point. Conference has dome more big games to show who they are next week.

Can anyone tell me why Clement was getting more carries down the stretch than Gordon? That makes zero sense or me as Gordon is a beast and a home run threat whenever he touches the ball. Regardless, stupidity from Wisconsin is not something i dislike.

Yup, boy, I sure am jealous of Becky's 0-1 record while we sit here with our pathetic undefeated season thus far. I wish we would've been the ones to lose the first week.

I look back fondly on the months and months when you didn't post. I long for those days again.

Well hi DP can't say I missed you either but you amuse me. Source?? Overall I would just to public ally flog Brew for missing on so many Mn difference makers five years ago as those RS seniors would really help right now. I also believe our O and Limegrover will hold us back this year again and don't apologize for hammering on that. I think he sucks and Z too our QBs don't seem to progress at all. I hope I am wrong.

Can anyone tell me why Clement was getting more carries down the stretch than Gordon? That makes zero sense or me as Gordon is a beast and a home run threat whenever he touches the ball. Regardless, stupidity from Wisconsin is not something i dislike.

Lots of rumors flying around but word is it was not injury related and perhaps because of something Gordon said in the locker room. Rumor has it that it's because he wanted Stave put in.

Jerry Kill would take any of WI's qbs and start them next weekend. bad qb play could be the achilles heel of ol Country Jer.

Jerry Kill would take any of WI's qbs and start them next weekend. bad qb play could be the achilles heel of ol Country Jer.

Are u joking? What in Mcevoy's performance would lead to that conclusion. His 8 for 24, 50 yards and 2 picks makes Leidner look like Elway.

I don't think whiskey will win the west.

jpraml: Beat the stinking badger in the stinking badger's camp! End the madness in 2014. I like the way you think and may the stinking badger succumb to the Huskers, hawkeyes AND Gophers in 2014! Bring the AXE home to SKI-U-MAH now!

Both teams looked horrible last night. I think the Gophers could have beaten LSU. The B1G looks really bad so far. Obviously just one week, but it was not pretty.

jpraml: Beat the stinking badger in the stinking badger's camp! End the madness in 2014. I like the way you think and may the stinking badger succumb to the Huskers, hawkeyes AND Gophers in 2014! Bring the AXE home to SKI-U-MAH now!

This may be your best post ever. I'm on board

Are u joking? What in Mcevoy's performance would lead to that conclusion. His 8 for 24, 50 yards and 2 picks makes Leidner look like Elway.

Horrible numbers, but I think that they still win if they don't give up that stupid fake punt for a first down.

Horrible numbers, but I think that they still win if they don't give up that stupid fake punt for a first down.

Not arguing that point- my post was in response to an inane and vapid post by wait!what?

Andersen states today that Stave will be shut down indefinitely with shoulder issue. Houston will be back-up.

Not arguing that point- my post was in response to an inane and vapid post by wait!what?

really? just cut the Tanner kid some slack. It was his first game and an ESPN night game. probably had a lot of jitters to get out of his system. Gopher fans can understand poor QB play and giving a kid a couple yrs to work it out.

Top Bottom