Shooter: $30M in corporate donations to athletics facilities to be announced this wee

It's $15M for the center of excellence (for building it and in exchange for naming rights).

The other $10M is for a number of things.. including various programs ranging from faculty research to academic student scholarships to event sponsorship... and the funding will go far past athletics.. (e.g., College of Science & Engineering, Carlson biz, College of Food, Agra/Natural Resource Sciences, etc).

The center for excellence will serve all students, not just student-athletes... however, this was part of the "$190M plan"...

So, $15M toward the $190M capital projects.. the other $10 toward programs and various other funding.. some of which will go to athletics (but outside of capital projects / "the $190M plan").

According to the Strib (http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/273662841.html), $21M is for the AD with the remaining $4M going to other programs within the University. The cost of the center of excellence is $15M.

GW, where are you getting your information that the Center for Excellence is for the entire University student body? Are you saying that ALL students will have access to the training table? To the tutors? And all the other stuff? I highly doubt this. I believe this is only for all student-athletes. But then again, it is your job to know these things.

I believe this is only for all student-athletes.
I was under this impression as well. Would be great if it was for all students, but if that was the case it would have to be the size of Coffman or something.

It is for all students per the U's official announcement. Expected it to be open by fall of 2016.

Doesn't say in the release: http://discover.umn.edu/news/u-m-land-olakes-enhance-partnership-invest-students

The 2015-2024 commitment will support:

Intercollegiate Athletics
$21,037,500 for the benefit of Intercollegiate Athletics, as follows:

$15,000,000 builds a 60,000 square foot Center for Excellence in the new Athletics Village. Land O’Lakes will receive naming rights to the center, which will house academic, nutrition and leadership development programs for University students and student-athletes.
$3,350,000 provides program support for activities in the Center for Excellence with a specific focus on the Student-Athlete Leadership Development Center and the Gopher Connect Program.
$2,687,500 will provide support to various Intercollegiate Athletic sponsorship and events

Carlson School of Management
$2.5 million
Establishes the endowed Land O'Lakes Chair in Marketing. Carlson School of Management professor Kathleen Vohs has been selected to fill this chair.

College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
$1 million
Supports scholarships and programming for students.

College of Science and Engineering
$87,500
Supports college programming.

University-wide
$375,000
Supports Welcome Week activities and funding for an annual agriculture symposium.

Only one person I know that's preoccupied/ caught up on/ obsessed with, that 190M donation number.

+1 Exactly.

Not sure what GW is expecting and why he is so enamored with $190 million number.

The plan calls for this project (including fundraising) to be done in a handful of stages and covers eight years. It isn't like anyone should expect them to have $190 million raised by 11am this morning.

Why is so impossible to think the U of M could not raise the money? Other Big Ten institutions have done it/are doing it.

Will be it hard? You bet. But it certainly isn't as negative as GW is making it sound.

He occasionally gets some good info and even occasionally has made excellent/thought-provoking and accurate posts. Unfortunately, GW provides any limited insight he has not for informational purposes for the board, but simply to get his jollies out of stirring the pot. And, not only just stirring the pot, but doing so in a condescending, egotistical presentation. That is the definition of a jackass. Clearly, he relishes the role of being a jackass, so he has that mastered and at least can go to bed each night knowing he is pleasing himself.

It's $15M for the center of excellence (for building it and in exchange for naming rights).

The other $10M is for a number of things.. including various programs ranging from faculty research to academic student scholarships to event sponsorship... and the funding will go far past athletics.. (e.g., College of Science & Engineering, Carlson biz, College of Food, Agra/Natural Resource Sciences, etc).

The center for excellence will serve all students, not just student-athletes... however, this was part of the "$190M plan"...

So, $15M toward the $190M capital projects.. the other $10 toward programs and various other funding.. some of which will go to athletics (but outside of capital projects / "the $190M plan").

What you're saying here is not accurate. Check your figures and facts.

What you're saying here is not accurate. Check your figures and facts.

It's precisely accurate.

GW, where are you getting your information that the Center for Excellence is for the entire University student body? Are you saying that ALL students will have access to the training table? To the tutors? And all the other stuff? I highly doubt this. I believe this is only for all student-athletes. But then again, it is your job to know these things.

Still highly doubt me?

It's precisely accurate.

Still highly doubt me?
1_6_2_000_09.png

For those of you who get goated by GW every time he pops up here.....

GW nailed it, the day before the announcement, thanks to his outstanding inside sources. Thank you for your contributions to this board!

Once again idiots pissing me off in the Strib comment section. LOL can chose to spend their money however they frickin want to. They don't need you to tell them what they can and can't donate to. It can honestly be more frustrating than reading buckyville.

Once again idiots pissing me off in the Strib comment section. LOL can chose to spend their money however they frickin want to. They don't need you to tell them what they can and can't donate to. It can honestly be more frustrating than reading buckyville.

Take it easy on the Strib comment section. That's where GW gets all his material.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom