Shooter: $30M in corporate donations to athletics facilities to be announced this wee

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
From Shooter. Take it for what it's worth:

Look for the University of Minnesota this week to announce corporate donations totaling nearly $30 million as the official kickoff of the Gophers' $190 million athletics facilities improvement project.

Ok, how about an update on the other 160 million? Why not just update the total funds raised at this point?

Ok, how about an update on the other 160 million? Why not just update the total funds raised at this point?

Even better: Why not admit defeat and make some real progress. Push for projects related to football and basketball - get them done for an amount that is reasonable, but aggressive. Get them done with funds from ALL your sources, not this "$190M of private funds" nonsense.

Make things happen.

We could have a bake sale, or car wash to raise the rest!!

Even better: Why not admit defeat and make some real progress. Push for projects related to football and basketball - get them done for an amount that is reasonable, but aggressive. Get them done with funds from ALL your sources, not this "$190M of private funds" nonsense.

Make things happen.

Even better: Ban GW again!

30 mil should get us a basketball facility. Get those shovels in the ground.

I think you probably know this if you think about it - the headline doesn't mean we're at $30 mil in total donations (or pledges). It means that $30 mil in corporate donations will be announced this week.

I agree with this line of thinking. Are we going to sit on the $30 million in donations / pledges waiting to reach $190 million?

My God, some of you people are complete and total idiots. Clueless schmucks. Smh. :rolleyes:

What if Teague/Kill held a joint press conference where Norwood admits defeat, then proceeds to commit ritualistic suicide in an epic apology for asking for too much money. Then Kill, in mid seizure, resigns due to health reasons - admitting he should have done so long ago. Something, something basketball...GopherWarrior's boner reaches maximum stiffness.

Wisconsin Lost!!

What if Teague/Kill held a joint press conference where Norwood admits defeat, then proceeds to commit ritualistic suicide in an epic apology for asking for too much money. Then Kill, in mid seizure, resigns due to health reasons - admitting he should have done so long ago. Something, something basketball...GopherWarrior's boner reaches maximum stiffness.

Wisconsin Lost!!

Ha! You just won the internet for today. Congrats! :clap:

I think you probably know this if you think about it - the headline doesn't mean we're at $30 mil in total donations (or pledges). It means that $30 mil in corporate donations will be announced this week.

I guess another question is will these corporations be donating $30 mil at once or will it be in installments over the next several years?

If they all contribute around the same time, that's more than enough to get started on the basketball facility.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Univ. of Minn. <a href="https://twitter.com/PrezKaler">@PrezKaler</a> says on WCCO there will be announcement "people will be very pleased to hear" regarding facilities in week or two.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/506115718719746048">August 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AT the State Fair Today (Sunday), Kaler was on with Sid talking about the fund-raising. Made the comment noted above. Sid then said "Land-O-Lakes is giving $30 million." Kaler did not confirm it - but he did not deny it either.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Univ. of Minn. <a href="https://twitter.com/PrezKaler">@PrezKaler</a> says on WCCO there will be announcement "people will be very pleased to hear" regarding facilities in week or two.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/506115718719746048">August 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does that include GW?

AT the State Fair Today (Sunday), Kaler was on with Sid talking about the fund-raising. Made the comment noted above. Sid then said "Land-O-Lakes is giving $30 million." Kaler did not confirm it - but he did not deny it either.

Sid has to be right one of these times, right? I mean that law of averages thing?

Would not be surprised if a Minneapolis based big agriculture or food firm the likes of Land O' Lakes or General Mills is involved in some way as a partner and donor. Particularly as it pertain to the athlete academic and support center part of the project and the training table/meal facilities. Especially now that schools can provide unlimited meal support and training table support for their athletes, it would make sense. I believe Kelloggs, a main competitor of General Mills, did something similar to what I am talking about above in partnering with either Michigan State or Michigan (or perhaps both) as they are headquartered in Michigan.

When there is a plan let it play out accordingly. Its tough to raise money these days and I commend Teague for his efforts and I believe he will get it done.

If they all contribute around the same time, that's more than enough to get started on the basketball facility.

Teague was brought in with a history and reputation for fundraising. Let the man do his job.

Reminds me of a sign I saw in a repair shop years back.....

$40/hr straight repair
$60/hr If you tried to fix it first
$80/hr if you insist on helping me

I am sure Norwood has taken more than a few opinions into account when formulating this plan.
Many said it was insane when he announced it.
Have a little patience and allow him the opportunity to prove them wrong.

From Shooter. Take it for what it's worth:

Look for the University of Minnesota this week to announce corporate donations totaling nearly $30 million as the official kickoff of the Gophers' $190 million athletics facilities improvement project.

I get all the pessimism...I mean after the 7,000th time Lucy pulls the ball back Charlies starts to realize she is a lying b!tch. Our ADs have been Lucy for a lot of years now....

Make things happen.

Let's just make lateniteh00pz.org a subscription site for a month. We'd have the 190 million and more!

I get all the pessimism...I mean after the 7,000th time Lucy pulls the ball back Charlies starts to realize she is a lying b!tch. Our ADs have been Lucy for a lot of years now....

Thanks for using an analogy even I can understand (although it took several reads before I got it).

Top Bottom