Meaningless 4th preseason Vikes TV ratings destroy Gophers season opener

Stan

Reaction score
Yuck.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Somewhat unfair - cable vs over the air - but the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Vikings?src=hash">#Vikings</a> destroyed the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> in TV ratings last night. Peaks adults 25-54: 10.7 vs 3.5.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/505421848041889792">August 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Come on. One was on network tv and one was buried on the Big Ten Channel. They were likely about the same on the watchability scale to the average rube (although I didn't even bother to tape the Queens game). If the Gophers were on ABC versus someone you've heard of against a Vikes preseason game exclusively on NFL Network, you'd get the opposite results. Granted the NFL is smart enough to never exclusively be on high tier cable channels.

I'm not exactly sure why people care about things like this. Take a look at which TV shows pull in the best ratings on a typical week...it's shameful. I would be worried if I found myself grouped in with the masses.

I see potential in those numbers. Clearly there's a lot of football fans in the state. We compete for ticket revenue but the more important tv ratings are almost never a competition unless the NFL starts playing on saturdays.

I can understand how a cable company can ping your box and see what you are watching but how do they do that with an over the air signal?

Yuck.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Somewhat unfair - cable vs over the air - but the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Vikings?src=hash">#Vikings</a> destroyed the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> in TV ratings last night. Peaks adults 25-54: 10.7 vs 3.5.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/505421848041889792">August 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I can understand how a cable company can ping your box and see what you are watching but how do they do that with an over the air signal?

That's why I fuch them up and watch The Weather Channel.

Not surprising. The attendance at the pre season games were about 15,000 more than last night too. We are an after thought to most people. The sooner we realize that, the easier it will be on people.

Comparing anything to the Vikings is silly. What's FSN's average ratings for a Twins game this year? What was it last night? I bet the Gophers beat it. At least I hope they did.

I was enjoying the Gophers game at a local watering hole when all of a sudden, every TV was switched over to the Queens last preseason game. I couldn't believe it so I complained to the barkeep. She said that "people had requested the Queens" and she couldn't do anything about it. I finally got them to switch one TV to have the Gophers on, but had to listen to Paul (The Hawk) Allen blather about the Queens. I left at half-time and watched the 2nd half on streaming. What a sad bunch of folks in the Twin Cities that they would want to watch a worthless preseason game over the beloved Gophers. I'm still torked.

I hope those f--ker's go 0-16 I hope the stadium has a multitude of building problems. I hope Ziggy has miss 8 times a night.

I hope those f--ker's go 0-14. I hope the stadium has a multitude of building problems. I hope Ziggy has pass 8 times a night.

So you're hoping the world ends this December? They play 16 games. :)

A lot of the average fans consider a game against EIU as preseason as well.

Ummm......a Vikes games on local channels will bring in more than a Gophers game on cable. Heck.....many people need a sports package to get the Big Ten network.

If it helps......probably around 30,000 of the people at the stadium last night would have been watching had they not been there.

I'm hoping Viking fans don't hate the Gophers as much as Ruppert hates the Vikings.:cool02:

Ummm......a Vikes games on local channels will bring in more than a Gophers game on cable. Heck.....many people need a sports package to get the Big Ten network.

If it helps......probably around 30,000 of the people at the stadium last night would have been watching had they not been there.
That is a very good point.

Meaningless games typically appeal to mindless people.

So true. I was at a bar having dinner years ago during the Vikings FIRST pre-season game. Dude was there in his Hovan Jersey pacing and loudly arguing the merits of the officiating.

Vikes have been killing the Gophers since the mid-Sixties. It's a shame. But friends at the game told me they had a blast, drizzle and all.

You would see the same scenario for a Packer game on at the same time as a Badger game. Or a Bear game on at the same time as a Illinois or Notre Dame game. Or a Steeler or Eagles game on at the same time as a Pitt or Penn State game. Or a Seahawk game on at the same time as a Washington game. Point.......this whole thread is meaningless and irrelevant. Just like most of the crap Doogie craps out on twitter and elsewhere.

You would see the same scenario for a Packer game on at the same time as a Badger game. Or a Bear game on at the same time as a Illinois or Notre Dame game. Or a Steeler or Eagles game on at the same time as a Pitt or Penn State game. Or a Seahawk game on at the same time as a Washington game. Point.......this whole thread is meaningless and irrelevant. Just like most of the crap Doogie craps out on twitter and elsewhere.

So you're saying TV ratings are irrelevant?

Amen. And I wish it was only Ruppert.

You're right. I'm not alone on a island here boys. I can flat out say with pride there is NOTHING !!!!!!!!! in our whole household that is the color purple. And that's a fact Jack.

You're right. I'm not alone on a island here boys. I can flat out say with pride there is NOTHING !!!!!!!!! in our whole household that is the color purple. And that's a fact Jack.

Have you been that way since day one, or just more recently?

A NFL game albeit an exhibition, on over the air TV, got better ratings than a college game featuring a FCS (D1-AA) team, on a tiered cable channel? This was news? Doogie was surprised by this? Wonder why only the "Peak 25-54" was used? :eek:

A NFL game albeit an exhibition, on over the air TV, got better ratings than a college game featuring a FCS (D1-AA) team, on a tiered cable channel? This was news? Doogie was surprised by this? Wonder why only the "Peak 25-54" was used? :eek:

I would be curious to know what the 54+ demo was. I'll bet it was more in favor of the Gopher game.

Top Bottom