Big Ten's New Team

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
How about Rutgers going to the west coast and besting a PAC 12 team? 1-0 vs big 5 so far.

I still think that behind the sec we are second in terms of overall strength of conference. WSU is a middle of the road squad and Rutgers is considered probably a basement dweller so it was certainly nice to see. I am not going to openly cheer for the badgers but i do sure hope they win, and MSU better take care of those quacks in Eugene.

Way to go Rutgers. One game into the big ten and they have already improved!

Didn't even know about this game until this morning. Was happy to hear they won though.

ACC looks pretty bad w/ Wake's loss last night. Vandy getting THUMPED doesn't help the SEC either but ESPN will be sure to sweep that one under the rug so no one sees it

Did Nelson get released from Prison for this game? Clearly not, the offense scored a bunch of points!

I don't care what the law says. Rutgers is not in the Big Ten.

Good job, Rutgers!

It's all very simple for me, and hasn't changed. Here's hoping all B10 teams win their non-cons... except for the bagders and iowa. I want them to lose always. Although I will say that Michigan losing to App St. did make me smile quite a bit.

Geaux Tigers!!

I never know how to approach college football...

In one sense I want the Big Ten teams to do well in non conference so it makes our conference and schedule look better.

On the other hand I want them to lose so that we have a chance of getting into a better bowl game.

Which way do I lean folks?

I never know how to approach college football...

Which way do I lean folks?

Here's my logic. The trick is to think long-term more than short-term.

1. Teams in the Eastern Division: Easy, we want them to win non-conf games because it helps our perception and doesn't diminish our place in the standings at all. We want teams in this division to be better long-term because their victories over B10 west teams help us greatly.

2. Teams in the Western Division (not wisky and iowa) Also want them to win, to a lesser degree. Their wins help the conference (and division's) reputation. But a loss isn't all that bad because we want these teams to diminish long-term so that it is easier for our Gophers to place higher in the standings.

3. wisky and Iowa: Super easy: screw the whole "B10 reputation" stuff. We compete against these clowns for everything: 1. Standings 2. Recruiting 3. Hardware 4. Bowl Placement, etc---- Just think of how recruits perceive the team who doesn't have the ax or pig vs. the team who does? Think of the damage that would be caused if it was wisky who dropped a game vs. FCS teams instead of us. Think of how much more less red/white and black/yellow the Bank would be if wisky and Iowa fans thinking they were probably going to have a good time in Dinkytown? Momentum relative to these schools is everything: Standings and Trophies in the short term; Recruiting, Ticket Sales, Donations, Media Coverage, Student Excitement, etc. in the long-term.

Also, I'd rather beat a badly-perceived, cellar-dweller wisconsin and Iowa ten times in a row than simply be competitive against "National Powerhouses" wisconsin and Iowa.

Vandy getting THUMPED doesn't help the SEC either but ESPN will be sure to sweep that one under the rug so no one sees it

LMAO...yeah, either that or proclaim that the score would've been reversed had James Franklin still been the coach.

I still think that behind the sec we are second in terms of overall strength of conference. WSU is a middle of the road squad and Rutgers is considered probably a basement dweller so it was certainly nice to see. I am not going to openly cheer for the badgers but i do sure hope they win, and MSU better take care of those quacks in Eugene.

Puke. no true gopher fan would ever say this. I hate the SEC propaganda that ESPN spews out but I will NEVER cheer for wisconsin to win this game because if they do they will have a fast track to the play off not because they are actually good but because they don't play any other good teams (besides us of course) the rest of the year. As a true gopher fan I hope the badgers lose but have it be a close game to save B1G face. Maybe out play them a little but make a bad mistake to lose in the last few seconds.

Puke. no true gopher fan would ever say this. I hate the SEC propaganda that ESPN spews out but I will NEVER cheer for wisconsin to win this game because if they do they will have a fast track to the play off not because they are actually good but because they don't play any other good teams (besides us of course) the rest of the year. As a true gopher fan I hope the badgers lose but have it be a close game to save B1G face. Maybe out play them a little but make a bad mistake to lose in the last few seconds.

Agreed.

Lead the whole game until you throw 2 interceptions to lose the game?!?! Damn i'm good.

I am going to get killed for saying this, but I don't think the joy I feel watching the Gophers win would be at all diminished even if the B1G Conference's reputation tanked. I would love to win the conference and the Rose Bowl. The college football blinders I wear only allow me to see the B1G conference. I could care less if any of our teams make it to the "Final Four". I could care less what ESPN or talking heads say about our conference.

Additionally, I experience great joy in watching the Badgers, Hawks, Wolverines and Buckeyes lose. I feel like the most likely route for a Gophers B1G Championship is a down year for everyone else.

Just my two cents.

Cue, "blah, blah, blah mediocrity... blah blah blah... to be the best gotta play the best" responses. Does this make me pathetic?

Additionally, I experience great joy in watching the Badgers, Hawks, Wolverines and Buckeyes lose. I feel like the most likely route for a Gophers B1G Championship is a down year for everyone else.

You are 100% justified and 100% correct. I never, ever want them to win.*

*OK, if it helps us in the standings I do.

Top Bottom