KMSP: Anti-racism coalition threatens to sue U of M over Redskins name

I see our resident "the white man must hate himself for all things of the past" poster is back to make sure we all think long and hard about this b.s. publicity stunt by that bum Clyde Bellecourt and his group of minions.

Agreed. I saw a lot of this on the OT board in the Fergusson threads. I don't get the white guilt thing. While, I do believe Indian nicknames are racist, I don't feel guilty about what's been done, so let's just move forward by correcting past mistakes. As a recent convert to Judaism, I understand what it's like to be discriminated against, as even today there's cries for genocide against my people.

Shalom.

The Indian Nations of Minnesota built us a nice and expensive mall for TCF. The walk up to the main gates are a thing of beauty. The expectation I have is they may open up their checkbook again for the Athletes Village if they get some respect over the Redskins issue. Frankly, if I was the U, I would pay attention to a major donor group. They have "skin" in the game, and we have an interest in the outcome. I don't know about you folks, but I always go back to the well that brought me some sweet tasting water. When the Nations gave us the mall around TCF, that was a very large donation and with it came some stipulations and contract terms about conduct at the U, which if nothing else is implied.

Life isn't always about being emotionally and intellectually stupid. Sometimes it is about living up to the standards of your friends. The Indian Nations of Minnesota have been the U's friend and many on this board have forgotten how to treat their friends.

Yet, the fact remains that it is an NFL event played at a stadium on the campus, that which the University agreed to. By contract, I don't understand how the U would have any rights to decline the Redskins' namesake's presence, even if it wanted to. Thus, the point that it is a ridiculous argument in the first place.

Yet, the fact remains that it is an NFL event played at a stadium on the campus, that which the University agreed to. By contract, I don't understand how the U would have any rights to decline the Redskins' namesake's presence, even if it wanted to. Thus, the point that it is a ridiculous argument in the first place.

Whether or not the Vikes and the NFL have the right is irrelevant. We are going to protest it anyway. The last time I checked it is a free country. American citizens can protest and boycott anything they want. The Redskin name is going away. It is inevitable. The fact that so many posters in GopherHole will hate it when it happens will just make it all the sweeter.

Whether or not the Vikes and the NFL have the right is irrelevant. We are going to protest it anyway. The last time I checked it is a free country. American citizens can protest and boycott anything they want. The Redskin name is going away. It is inevitable. The fact that so many posters in GopherHole will hate it when it happens will just make it all the sweeter.

Protesting against the "Redskins" name is much, much different than filing a lawsuit against the U, of all things.

I never said that the U had the right to deny the Redskin's (one entity, not many) presence. I said they had an implied obligation to uphold. I did not describe how that was to be upheld in any manner, that I remember.

By the way, I will be on the side of the Tribal Nations on this issue. The name is an anachronism from an age full of discrimination. I think it is culturally past the market pull that it once may have created in the public. Changing a name is not unheard of in the world of marketing and it often takes less than being culturally offensive to do so. I don't understand all the anguish of the U determining how the Vikings, Redskins and NFL utilize the property of the University. I think the U does have a say I the use of its facilities and may object at any moment to the work of its temporary tenants as it applies to the facility.

Top Bottom