Special Teams

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
What an amazing job by Special Teams. I remember Brew saying that Special Teams is on the field for roughly 1/3 of the total plays in any given game. If you have excellent Special teams it's a huge advantage & last night we were great in every aspect.

Santoso crushing those kickoffs through the end zone is a huge advantage. The one they did return late in the 4th quarter went to the 23 or 24. Not bad on it's own merit, but starting the opposing team at the 20 is going to save us a few yards per kickoff. More importantly we take away the opportunity for momentum changer by their return team. To a lesser degree it feels (just my feeling, not a stat) like a lot of guys get injured on kickoffs & this eliminates that as well.

Deep in our own end, 3 & out I believe (?), Mortell comes in and launches one 60 yards, completely robbing EI of the great field position they should have had. He launched another long one too that was downed inside the 20 & had a couple where our coverage guys were one stride away from being downed at the 1 or 2. On the night he AVERAGED 51.2 per punt! I've always maintained that while punter isn't a sexy position it's hugely undervalued. If your punter can pin the opposing team at the 5 instead of starting at the 20, that's as valuable as a 15 yard sack. Now consider our punter is capable of doing that multiple times per game & he becomes a real game changer. The 60 yard punt is a good example too. Think of it as a 40 yard punt, followed by a 20 yard sack. That's the type of impact a good punter can have on opposing field position.

The blocked punt really broke EI's spirit imo. We were winning 14-0 at that point, but that was the play where EI realized they'd lost. They were slow as molasses getting the punt off, but Murray executed that block in a textbook fashion & then the experienced (5th year Sr) Logan Hutton was right where he needed to be to take it in for the TD. Game changer.

Marcus Jones handled the ball very well aside from the one bobble late in the game. It's still a bit of a worry when he fields the ball, but he is a very good returner & there was one return down the right sideline where he was able to shift gears & almost turn a ho-hum return into a breakaway.

"I remember Brew saying that Special Teams is on the field for roughly 1/3 of the total plays in any given game."...

impossible... unless each team goes 2-and-out on ever series.
just because Brew said it?

Agree CRG. Mortell and Santoso are weapons that we haven't had around here for many years.

"I remember Brew saying that Special Teams is on the field for roughly 1/3 of the total plays in any given game."...

impossible... unless each team goes 2-and-out on ever series.
just because Brew said it?

Wait?! What?! Brew wasn't always accurate? Don't beleive it.

brew called it "special forces"

but for the rest of us, special teams has been a huge area of improvement since kill arrived.

What an amazing job by Special Teams. I remember Brew saying that Special Teams is on the field for roughly 1/3 of the total plays in any given game. If you have excellent Special teams it's a huge advantage & last night we were great in every aspect.

Santoso crushing those kickoffs through the end zone is a huge advantage. The one they did return late in the 4th quarter went to the 23 or 24. Not bad on it's own merit, but starting the opposing team at the 25 is going to save us a few yards per kickoff. More importantly we take away the opportunity for momentum changer by their return team. To a lesser degree it feels (just my feeling, not a stat) like a lot of guys get injured on kickoffs & this eliminates that as well.

Deep in our own end, 3 & out I believe (?), Mortell comes in and launches one 60 yards, completely robbing EI of the great field position they should have had. He launched another long one too that was downed inside the 20 & had a couple where our coverage guys were one stride away from being downed at the 1 or 2. On the night he AVERAGED 51.2 per punt! I've always maintained that while punter isn't a sexy position it's hugely undervalued. If your punter can pin the opposing team at the 5 instead of starting at the 20, that's as valuable as a 15 yard sack. Now consider our punter is capable of doing that multiple times per game & he becomes a real game changer. The 60 yard punt is a good example too. Think of it as a 40 yard punt, followed by a 20 yard sack. That's the type of impact a good punter can have on opposing field position.

The blocked punt really broke EI's spirit imo. We were winning 14-0 at that point, but that was the play where EI realized they'd lost. They were slow as molasses getting the punt off, but Murray executed that block in a textbook fashion & then the experienced (5th year Sr) Logan Hutton was right where he needed to be to take it in for the TD. Game changer.

Marcus Jones handled the ball very well aside from the one bobble late in the game. It's still a bit of a worry when he fields the ball, but he is a very good returner & there was one return down the right sideline where he was able to shift gears & almost turn a ho-hum return into a breakaway.
FIFY

It's my opinion that Mortell was the MVP of the Nebraska win last year. How many times did he pin them within the 5? Fantastic punter. Now add Santoso's booming kicks. If the Gophers can take away the potential for big returns, that'll help the D a lot. It's great to have stability in the kicking game, something we haven't had in a while. They're our secret weapons!

I am a bit more ambivalent on Mortell. It seemed to me he got lucky on the two long punts. They were not booming high punts but low line drives that the returner let hit the ground and bounce. Maybe that was the intention but a better returner might take them in the air and bring them back for yardage.

Agree on Santoso. Wish he would have had some field goal tries.

I didn't get to see the game, but I am happy to hear that the special teams looked good. I was driving back from a meeting and was listening when the Gophers blocked the punt and scored as a result and the bits and pieces I caught on the radio included a couple of great punts by Mortell and Santoso's kicks not being returned. Some folks like to get cute, but I say just knock the kick-off through the end zone every time. It sounded like Mortell had a couple of beautiful kicks that the coverage team couldn't down inside the ten. Too bad, but Mortell still provides us with great field position more often than not.

Santoso crushing those kickoffs through the end zone is a huge advantage. The one they did return late in the 4th quarter went to the 23 or 24. Not bad on it's own merit, but starting the opposing team at the 20 is going to save us a few yards per kickoff. More importantly we take away the opportunity for momentum changer by their return team. To a lesser degree it feels (just my feeling, not a stat) like a lot of guys get injured on kickoffs & this eliminates that as well.

A Touchback in college ball goes to the 25 yard line not the 20....so getting the stop at the 23-24 yard line was actually better than a touchback would have been. I think the rule changed in 2012. With no returns however, no one will take a kickoff to the house against us this year nor will they get a big return...it's gonna be 25-25-25 all day long...

I am a bit more ambivalent on Mortell. It seemed to me he got lucky on the two long punts. They were not booming high punts but low line drives that the returner let hit the ground and bounce. Maybe that was the intention but a better returner might take them in the air and bring them back for yardage.

low liners are his style punting. the intention is to use the roll when the coverage is down there preventing the return man from risking a pick up. i like it

Might be true but one of the kicks that went into the end zone was a great kick. The flyers didn't go past the returner after he called for a fair catch like they were supposed to. That one should have been downed inside the 10.

Top Bottom