STrib: Isaac Kolstad to attend Minnesota State, Mankato season opener

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I imagine the emotions will be extremely high for this. Great to see this progress:

Inspiration will lead the Minnesota State University, Mankato, football team onto the field next week in the form of honorary captain Isaac Kolstad, a former linebacker who was nearly beaten to death almost four months ago.

Kolstad’s survival, let alone his ability to walk and talk, was in doubt for weeks as he lay in a coma with a portion of his skull removed to alleviate brain swelling. Now he’s walking, working on talking, and eager to return to work and watch his former teammates in Thursday’s home opener with St. Cloud State. That’s according to a lengthy update from his wife, Molly Kolstad, on his CaringBridge site and in comments to KTOE-AM Radio in Mankato.

The 2013 Minnesota State graduate has proved he’s more than up to the trip onto Blakeslee Field. He stopped by this week to see former teammates practice.

“It didn’t take him long to hop on the field and try out some drills,” Molly Kolstad wrote. “Back pedaling, getting low, high knees and a little running were some he was able to do with them. Then at the end of practice he sent the team off with a cheer, a little motivation, for their upcoming game.”

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/273120641.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I'll be there. It should be emotional for both teams and fan bases when Kolstad walks onto the field.

STrib: Mankato beating victim leads former teammates on to field

Seated among a sea of football fans Thursday night, Isaac Kolstad’s extended family of more than 130 people looked on as he marched at the head of the line of football players streaming into Minnesota State, Mankato’s stadium.

Four months after a near-fatal beating that left him on life support, Kolstad’s gait is still unsure, but once he and his former teammates made it to the center of the field, he turned to the stands and raised his fist, touching off a roar of approval.

It was as if he had said, “I’m back.”

“It was amazing, just pure joy,” said his cousin Annie Jessop, who like other family members wore a #22strong T-shirt in honor of Kolstad. “I can think of nothing else to say but ‘We love you Isaac.’ ”

http://www.startribune.com/local/273995251.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom