Cornerbacks

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Our corners were just awesome tonight. Murray was great. Wells was great. BBC was great. Myrick was great. James in the bit we saw him was great. Jones....meh. Not only are we set this year, but next year we return Murray, BBC, Myrick & James. We are absolutely stacked.

Myrick will be a good one. He is in a very similar situation to what Murray was in last year.

Murray = lock down!

Totally agree CRG. It's a real strength of ours. That should lead to more sacks for the big boys up front.

I was thoroughly impressed with our entire secondary, our DB coach Sawvel is gonna be a wanted man soon if not already.

The D-Backfield was elite. Can't say that about any other unit on the field. (except maybe Punting and Kicking)

On a couple completions the guy was open only because we were clearly baiting them a bit too much. I laughed out loud.

I thought Wells struggled a little early on but overall another great performance by the secondary.

I loved that Myrick was left alone on the field side & they tried to attack him out there but he had it locked down. The interception was gravy.

Seeing Myrick and Body-Calhoun play well tonight was very encouraging. Murray was lights out and Wells probably was the one CB out the top four who seemed to get picked on a bit. It seems like this will be one of those years where we don't have to hold our breath on 3rd and 15 (provided we cover the QB draw).

The number of passes defensed was incredible. The games where opposing WRs run uncovered are gone.

The number of passes defensed was incredible. The games where opposing WRs run uncovered are gone.

Yes, the few clips they showed of the 2011 New Mexico St. had their WR wide open several times.

Everyone is saying our defensive backfield is deep...they're right

BBC is a player for sure

I noted at the game that a few times they had BBC & Murray on the edges and Wells was floating in the backfield in more of a safety position. Blitzed from there or picked up a WR. Big fan of playing Wells that way.

I noted at the game that a few times they had BBC & Murray on the edges and Wells was floating in the backfield in more of a safety position. Blitzed from there or picked up a WR. Big fan of playing Wells that way.

That's exactly right. Claeys uses his nickelback more like a hybrid safety who lines up in the slot but blitzes a lot & ends up with a lot of tackles from run support. Ryan Collado looked good in that spot his Sr year & Wells is perfectly suited to it. Only challenge is that position has to make a lot of tough tackles, so I hope Wells' shoulder holds up.

That's exactly right. Claeys uses his nickelback more like a hybrid safety who lines up in the slot but blitzes a lot & ends up with a lot of tackles from run support. Ryan Collado looked good in that spot his Sr year & Wells is perfectly suited to it. Only challenge is that position has to make a lot of tough tackles, so I hope Wells' shoulder holds up.

Thanks. To this day I think Wells is a bigger impact player at S than CB so I am a fan of them doing this more. If BBC is ready after his injury than he and Murray can easily handle the traditional CB spot and Wells with his predator hair can cause major havoc from that spot. We know how hard he can hit - as you mentioned, hope he can hold up physically.

Seeing Myrick and Body-Calhoun play well tonight was very encouraging. Murray was lights out and Wells probably was the one CB out the top four who seemed to get picked on a bit. It seems like this will be one of those years where we don't have to hold our breath on 3rd and 15 (provided we cover the QB draw).

Didn't see the game, but I don't think Wells is ideally suited to play CB. I've always seen him as more of a safety. I don't think Wells is as good a player as Brock Vereen, but I believe his strengths are similar.

Glad to hear the unit played well. I like Claeys' approach and they have recruited and developed well to fit his scheme. Murray is the real deal.

I'm not a sophisticated watcher of football, but I got the idea the defensive backs were kind of toying with the EIU receivers.

Myrick will be a good one. He is in a very similar situation to what Murray was in last year.

Myrick has to be the fastest guy on this Gophers team, with ball skills too, that kid can really close on the football. I was really impressed with Myrick, they need to maybe see if he can be on that kickoff team as one of the returners, you cannot teach that kids speed and if you can teach him to protect the football, man teams would have a hard time stopping that kid. He is playmaker in waiting with the football in his hands.
Murray and BBC were outstanding too. I like the defensive secondary for the Gophers alot, these kids want to make plays on the ball.

Agree with everything said so far. Every throw had a DB right there to make a play. From the old video from 2011 that they showed you could see how the team is so much bigger physically when they were then.

Top Bottom