What letter grade would you give Mitch Leidner against Eastern Illinois?

• A

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • B

Votes: 20 14.9%
  • C

Votes: 79 59.0%
  • D

Votes: 33 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

C-/D+...the passing game is certainly a concern but it's only the first game. I thought Streveler was very aggressive.

Erratic throwing the football. Decision making got better. Showed some toughness (or stupidity depending on how you personally view it) on his last TD run. Good to see he didn't hang his head with his poor start. Will need to be much improved going forward.

Grade C

Leidner ran well..

I thought Streveler looked better on his one throw. Leidner's touchdown is probably a pick against every other team on our schedule.

C+. He still looks more comfortable tucking the ball and running it. I didn't really see him sit in the pocket and go through his progressions. He got better as the game went along though, and as long as he keeps improving I think he'll be alright by the time our schedule gets tougher.

9/17, 144 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
35-0 when he was pulled.

On the surface, it looks like a B+/A-
Having watched the game, it felt a bit ickier.

At the end of the day, he had 144 yards on 17 attempts, which is pretty good. That being said, he was indecisive, took unnecessary sacks, had an awful fumble and I don't think he had one audible all night. I guess I'll agree with Glen Mason and give him a solid...

C

"Mitch, you get a C!"
Glen

648260.jpg

I can't give him a passing grade after watching it with my own eyes. D

Yes, seriously.
9/17, 144 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
35-0 when he was pulled.

I don't judge qbs by wins and losses. It is a team game. 40 or more players see the field, and the qb does not play defense or special teams. Only a non-thinker believes wins and losses is how you judge a qb.

Leidner was simply bad tonight. He was very inaccurate and made poor decisions. He gets a D for being below average.

However he is inexperienced, and this was game one. He can get better. He will need to be better if we want to make some noise this year. Let's hope a light goes on for him before the Michigan game. We need to win back the damn jug.

PHUCK MICHIGAN!

I don't judge qbs by wins and losses.

Ok, I honestly stopped reading after that.
Serious question, would you rather have won 24-21 with Mitch going for 300, 4TDs and a 4th quarter comeback? Answer honestly.

Ok, I honestly stopped reading after that. Serious question, would you rather have won 24-21 with Mitch going for 300, 4TDs and a 4th quarter comeback? Answer honestly.

Someone is about to kill you due to your math skills, I wish you good luck

I think people are too hard on college QBs. Much like college kickers their deficiencies are a bit overblown. Mitch had some tough spots but didn't kill us. That's not a D grade to me. I'll say B.

I can't go higher than a C, I did see some good signs though as the game progressed, he'll be fine.

Ok, I honestly stopped reading after that.
Serious question, would you rather have won 24-21 with Mitch going for 300, 4TDs and a 4th quarter comeback? Answer honestly.

I could care less how the team wins in a given week, as long as the team wins. Teams win and lose games. You obviously don't have a brain cell if you cannot understand that.

17 throws. How many of them were legitimately good? Four? Five?

He was probably pretty jittery. The TD to Jones was a bad pass.

I think a lot of people are being too hard on Mitch. He's a good leader. Didn't panic, showed poise. It's not all the QB. Game plan, play calling, continuity, and other players factor in. Thought he could of audibled a few times. B.

I went with a D, but I could see an argument for a C(minus). Mitch was really, really bad for much of the first half and you don't have to try to hard to imagine this team being down 14-0 or 21-0 early tonight if the opponent was Nebraska instead of Eastern Illinois. I am sure he was nervous, but I would have liked to see a few more precision throws from Mitch at some point tonight. I think it could be argued that both Eastern Illinois QB's flashed more than Mitch tonight. While watching the first half I was thinking about all the comments about how the Gophers were in trouble if Mitch went down this year because the other QB's were so far behind him...very scary thought.

I could care less how the team wins in a given week, as long as the team wins. Teams win and lose games. You obviously don't have a brain cell if you cannot understand that.

Nice, you pulled out the "brain cell" stuff. Here's the deal. Mitch did not look like Drew Brees. He's never going to look like Drew Brees. We won the game and were winning 35-0 when he was pulled. Sustainable? Maybe, maybe not. Nelson threw for 100 yards in the opener against UNLV last year. Similar score 51-23. Then he lit it up against some actually B1G teams, ya feel me? Things evolve. Things change. I just don't understand all the negativity.

Oh, I know, here's the response: "I don't accept mediocrity because I care for my team so much, blah, blah, blah." It gets old.

Next game, I'd sure like to see him not locking in on one receiver like he often did tonight. Also, avoid coughing up the ball--drove me nuts last year and we saw it again tonight. But only first game--still have hope he'll do the job--don't turn the ball over; don't take big sacks; hit Williams or Jones for at least a couple of big passes every game. With our running game and special teams, 200 yards passing and no turnovers from Leidner should mean a good season.

C. He played better as the game went on and did not throw an int. He ran the ball effectively in a limited fashion. He needs more game time.

I don't want to hate on Leidner.... but let's be honest, he's a DII Qb. You can hate me all you want for being critical.... I don't care, because it's true. There's reasons why certain players aren't recruited at all out of hs, and he wasn't. The argument is, Decker was a DIII player but look at him now, and Kill has a track record for turning nothings into somethings, but Mitch has worlds to go to get to that level. It wouldn't surprise me if Streveler takes a share of the snaps soon.

I really hope he proves me wrong so I can pick crow feathers out of my teeth... but I'll wait to fire up the grill.

Mitch will have to play a lot better for this team to have any success in the Big 10 this season. I have read about his progress all summer and it certainly didn't show tonight. Hopefully this was just a bad night.

I don't want to hate on Leidner.... but let's be honest, he's a DII Qb. You can hate me all you want for being critical.... I don't care, because it's true. There's reasons why certain players aren't recruited at all out of hs, and he wasn't. The argument is, Decker was a DIII player but look at him now, and Kill has a track record for turning nothings into somethings, but Mitch has worlds to go to get to that level. It wouldn't surprise me if Streveler takes a share of the snaps soon.

I really hope he proves me wrong so I can pick crow feathers out of my teeth... but I'll wait to fire up the grill.

I don't disagree with you at all. I agree with all of it. I'm just saying have a beer. We won. Save some of this energy for when he throws 8 one-hoppers at The Big House. And I'll cool it too.

Beers for all my Gopher friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom