Eastern Illinois coaches = what a group of lame arse ****** bags

That is all. Good night. Go Gophers!

Just terrible coaches overall. That pooch punt was just a perfect example of bad/overcoaching. Just punt the ball...you're not going to reinvent the way the game is played.

I was getting pissed at the end there with their stupid on-side kick b.s. against our backs-ups. Was seriously concerned someone on our team was going to get injured with Eastern Illinois pulling that b.s. over and over and over. Just dumb and completely unnecessary.

Be more mad at the officiating that made that possible. Do overs end in the fourth grade.

Yeah I get trying it one time just for practice. But not three.

Seemed like Kill wasn't overly impressed going to shake Dameron's (sp?) hand. Spent much more time with the assistants it appeared. I'm all for coaching to the end of the game in terms of play calling when you've got the ball, but onside kicks are just a way to get kids hurt.

Seemed like Kill wasn't overly impressed going to shake Dameron's (sp?) hand. Spent much more time with the assistants it appeared. I'm all for coaching to the end of the game in terms of play calling when you've got the ball, but onside kicks are just a way to get kids hurt.

Yeah I don't think Kill was very happy about it. I think it was a case of a new coach trying to do too much, especially having your star TE out on onside kick team in that situation. It just isn't smart. One injury and he'll learn his lesson.

Kill and Claeys both mentioned their displeasure in the post game interviews.

Kill and Claeys both mentioned their displeasure in the post game interviews.

i missed the interviews, did they say anything specific or just general displeasure with the last few minutes?

Kill said something about onside kicks when there was no chance to win was stupid and dangerous. Clayey said something about (paraphrase) "if they feel better by scoring against our 2's then more power to them...game should have ended 45 min ago"

Kill said something about onside kicks when there was no chance to win was stupid and dangerous. Clayey said something about (paraphrase) "if they feel better by scoring against our 2's then more power to them...game should have ended 45 min ago"

Our 2's should kick their 1's asses imo

Yeah I get trying it one time just for practice. But not three.

First time the Gophers were offside, 2nd time the official messed up, at that point it makes sense to just go ahead and do it one more time. As for putting their top unit out there for the onside kick they were practicing it for use later in the season potentially, wouldn't make a lot of sense to run it with a 2nd team unit out there that would not be on the field when you would actually need it at some point.

This was probably the highest level of talent that EIU is going to see this year so it makes sense to get as many reps as possible in the game. As for Kill/Claeys not liking it the solution to that is pretty simple, stop em and get the ball back for your offense.

I have no problem with EIU trying to score at the end. I am confused as to why the referee rewards the offending team when they kick the ball prior to the ball being put in play. At the very least, EIU should have been penalized. Giving them a re-kick made no sense at all

I don't have a problem with EIU either. I didn't agree with the officiating but "you play the game to win". No, they they were not going to win today but
it establishes how you are going to compete. Gophers have to make a play. If you don't make a play don't whine about their success against your 2's.
Hold your 2's accountable. The Gopher comments are demeaning to our players on the field not being good enough. Not it...coach better. Demand more from your 2's.

I have no problem with EIU trying to score at the end. I am confused as to why the referee rewards the offending team when they kick the ball prior to the ball being put in play. At the very least, EIU should have been penalized. Giving them a re-kick made no sense at all

This. There were several head scratching calls (non-calls) during the game, this being one of the most egregious. I was also stunned that the Gophers didn't get the fumble recovery just prior to the blocked kick. Waiting for the day when the curse is lifted and these types of calls start going our way.

Poor Gaard tried to make a joke, telling Kill that the refs came in and asked the team to get back out there for another onside kick attempt. Jerry didn't see anything funny about it, talking about getting players hurt.

We were running as many plays as we could with that Streveler series up 35-7 and 5 minutes to go. No problem with EI bringing it at the end.

We were running as many plays as we could with that Streveler series up 35-7 and 5 minutes to go. No problem with EI bringing it at the end.

Going for 3 consecutive on-side kicks with 30 seconds left when you are down 42-14 with no timeouts is not "bringing it" or "playing until the final whistle" at the end or whatever cliche a few of you are trying to call it. It was stupid, dangerous and completely unnecessary on EIU's part and their coaches. Could have got players unnecessarily hurt on both teams for absolutely 100% no reason whatsoever. Please stop being purposely naive on this.

If anything I wondered why we had a fullback in the prime spot on the hands team. Hoping it was just to prevent injury to a starter

Going for 3 consecutive on-side kicks with 30 seconds left when you are down 42-14 with no timeouts is not "bringing it" or "playing until the final whistle" at the end or whatever cliche a few of you are trying to call it. It was stupid, dangerous and completely unnecessary on EIU's part and their coaches. Could have got players unnecessarily hurt on both teams for absolutely 100% no reason whatsoever. Please stop being purposely naive on this.

They went for it three times because there were official issues the first two times. Quit being so purposely naive.

We were throwing the ball up 35-7 with three minutes left with the intent to score. Take the high road and don't complain when you're just as guilty of getting some extra practice in.

The other question is why wasn't EIU flagged for illegal procedure on the second attempt?

The other question is why wasn't EIU flagged for illegal procedure on the second attempt?

Or even a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct. An onside kick is dangerous. It's even more dangerous when taken without the in-play whistle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They went for it three times because there were official issues the first two times. Quit being so purposely naive.

We were throwing the ball up 35-7 with three minutes left with the intent to score. Take the high road and don't complain when you're just as guilty of getting some extra practice in.

Up 35-7, the Gophers threw one pass. Seven runs, one pass. Going for an onside kick when the game is out of reach is a jerk move. If we would have got the ball back, I would have thrown for the end zone, and gone for two if we had scored. EIU was within their rights to play as if the game was still in doubt, but they would then have no grounds for complaint if we had done the same.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Or even a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct. An onside kick is dangerous. It's even more dangerous when taken without the in-play whistle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about a rule change - on an onside kick, if you kick early, and the receiving team recovers, they get to keep the ball.

Claeys was pissed in the interview. Called them a gimmick team worried about stats, running no huddle, calling time-outs and doing onside kicks. Said they had no clue what the were going to do on offense and was proud of the defense playing assignment football. Said they still have plenty to work on.

Officials - the first fumble that they left with EI was not a clear recovery by gophers until after the whistle blew and kicked around.

Onside kick- 1st attempt, an offsides called on a guy opposite where the kick went in a 35-7 game is questionable. 2nd attempt- they had no choice. The C blew his whistle and the kicker thought it was the ready for play whistle. The R has to blow the whistle. They'll probably just start giving teams, down by 28 in the fourth, the ball when they score in the future.

How about a rule change - on an onside kick, if you kick early, and the receiving team recovers, they get to keep the ball.

It was an officials error, not the players.

Having situations in games can't be duplicated in practice. I have no problem with what EIU did at all. They're concerned about their team going forward. Playing Minnesota is going to help them down the road.

I guess after the first time the kick didn't work, maybe I'd kick it deep at that point since you were able to do it and see it. But I'm not that upset about it.

That the Gopher coaches are so upset over it is a bit puzzling to me. Then again, I did see this staff punt when only down 2 scores with about 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter against Michigan State in 2012, so maybe they have a different approach.

Honestly: I think the coaches were just upset that they had a roughing the passer penalty that kept a drive alive, didn't recover the onside kick, and gave up a last second TD. I'd guess they wouldn't be as upset about EIU by today or tomorrow. Just my guess.

Claeys was pissed in the interview. Called them a gimmick team worried about stats, running no huddle, calling time-outs and doing onside kicks. Said they had no clue what the were going to do on offense and was proud of the defense playing assignment football. Said they still have plenty to work on.

Officials - the first fumble that they left with EI was not a clear recovery by gophers until after the whistle blew and kicked around.

Onside kick- 1st attempt, an offsides called on a guy opposite where the kick went in a 35-7 game is questionable. 2nd attempt- they had no choice. The C blew his whistle and the kicker thought it was the ready for play whistle. The R has to blow the whistle. They'll probably just start giving teams, down by 28 in the fourth, the ball when they score in the future.

I didn't hear Claeys interview so don't have the full context but those are not the kind of comments I like hearing from coaches and it really feels out of character for Claeys. Like a lot of others in this thread I don't have a problem with what EIU did at the end, I highly doubt the coaches on their side were giving any thought to stats, they were trying to work on their game against a high level opponent to help get their guys ready for games agains lesser opponents from here on out. Makes total sense to me to get as many snaps as you can.

As for getting upset about the onside kicks, it is not like EIU had any delusions about winning the game they just wanted to get some live game reps on a situation that is really tough to work on in practice. Our coaches are smart enough to understand that so odd to see the sour grapes after the games from the Gopher Coaches about what EIU did late.

Having situations in games can't be duplicated in practice. I have no problem with what EIU did at all. They're concerned about their team going forward. Playing Minnesota is going to help them down the road.

I guess after the first time the kick didn't work, maybe I'd kick it deep at that point since you were able to do it and see it. But I'm not that upset about it.

That the Gopher coaches are so upset over it is a bit puzzling to me. Then again, I did see this staff punt when only down 2 scores with about 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter against Michigan State in 2012, so maybe they have a different approach.

Honestly: I think the coaches were just upset that they had a roughing the passer penalty that kept a drive alive, didn't recover the onside kick, and gave up a last second TD. I'd guess they wouldn't be as upset about EIU by today or tomorrow. Just my guess.

I agree with pretty much everything said here. I find it really odd to complain about the multiple attempts at the onside kick when there would have only been one attempt at it if the Gopher players would have done their job and not gone offsides.

The coaches were mad because all it was doing was putting players at risk in a pointless situation. Already had seen enough injuries for one night, our d-line rotation just got a lot younger.

Top Bottom