Reusse: Defense is the difference with this Gophers football team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Reusse:

The Gophers have been 60th, 38th and 49th in team defense nationally in Kill’s first three seasons, but the signs of better days are there.

Tackle Ra’Shede Hageman and safety Brock Vereen went from the 2013 Gophers to the NFL as draft choices. This year, Theiren Cockran will lead the pass rush. And there are talented corners — Eric Murray and Derrick Wells — who can cover (amazing, but true).

The Gophers’ tradition of offering changes in coordinators as the solution for defensive failings also is over. Mason had four defensive coordinators in his decade, and poor Brewster had three in his 3 ½ seasons.

Jerry Kill has the trusted Tracy Claeys. Period.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/272972621.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Reusse:

The Gophers have been 60th, 38th and 49th in team defense nationally in Kill’s first three seasons, but the signs of better days are there.

Tackle Ra’Shede Hageman and safety Brock Vereen went from the 2013 Gophers to the NFL as draft choices. This year, Theiren Cockran will lead the pass rush. And there are talented corners — Eric Murray and Derrick Wells — who can cover (amazing, but true).

The Gophers’ tradition of offering changes in coordinators as the solution for defensive failings also is over. Mason had four defensive coordinators in his decade, and poor Brewster had three in his 3 ½ seasons.

Jerry Kill has the trusted Tracy Claeys. Period.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/272972621.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Just Curious, What was the defense in 09' ranked with Nate Triplett, Traimaine(sp?) Brock, S. Lawerence, Big Play Traye(sp?) and others?

Reusse has been oddly positive lately. It is literally scaring me.

True, but he still snuck in some subtle "seeds" to skew the public consciousness. By labeling tonight's opponent as a pushover, or whatever term he used (I don't exactly recall at the moment), anything less than a blowout will be a disappointment. Reusse is sneaky!

Reusse has been oddly positive lately. It is literally scaring me.

Classic Reusse trap.

"Jerry Kill’s fourth season starts tonight against pushover Eastern Illinois, and there is hope this finally can be the head coach to turn defense into an asset rather than this program’s mark of futility."

We know that as FCS teams go Eastern Illinois is no pushover. If the Gophers have first game struggles and don't win in blowout fashion, He will have something to complain about...

Classic Reusse trap.

"Jerry Kill’s fourth season starts tonight against pushover Eastern Illinois, and there is hope this finally can be the head coach to turn defense into an asset rather than this program’s mark of futility."

We know that as FCS teams go Eastern Illinois is no pushover. If the Gophers have first game struggles and don't win in blowout fashion, He will have something to complain about...

It's an FCS team. This is the big freaking ten. If we don't win in a blowout, he will rightly have something to complain about. Enough excuses. Put up 50 on these clowns.

It's an FCS team. This is the big freaking ten. If we don't win in a blowout, he will rightly have something to complain about. Enough excuses. Put up 50 on these clowns.

Not making excuses personally. Just recognizing that this is the first game of the season. Though I believe we will see our Gophers win in convincing fashion, I won't go off of the deep end if there are a few first game jitters type mistakes along the way that make it a little close. There is an old saying that the biggest improvement is from week one to week two. That often proves true.

Bottom line, Just win and keep improving.

Regarding Reusse, as someone else also pointed out, he has a history of doing this.

Exactly. We're a B1G team playing an FCS team at home & we're favored by 24 points. Let's not kid ourselves, this should be a blow out.

Exactly. We're a B1G team playing an FCS team at home & we're favored by 24 points. Let's not kid ourselves, this should be a blow out.

Yep, we don't necessarily need to win by a huge amount but it needs to be a convincing victory where all 3 phases are clearly dominant. What it can't be is a nail biter that goes down to the wire.

The Gophers play TCU in two weeks. On the road.

I don't expect the Gophers to put ANYTHING of value on tape for the Horned Frogs to prepare for tonight. They'll take the air out of the ball, grind the clock, win by 13.

Expect a very boring game

I don't care much about vanilla. H@ll man, I like to see Edwards & the WR corps go full throttle.

We'd like the offense to be clicking on all cylinders and getting in sync by the TCU game.

No excuses. Let's play mano a mano B1G football!

As long as Fatrick has major coronary failure and makes me a winner in this year's deadpool contest, I don't care what he writes.

We should eventually overpower this team, but it's going to be a battle. Honest question - would you trade our QB and WRs for theirs? (not talking entire roster, but just for this single game - we have some young guys that will eventually be pretty good) I'm pretty sure I'd make that trade. In fact, this might be the best pure passing offense we face this year.

Dear Reusse,

The blown TT lead in 2006 was 38-7, not 35-7.

We should eventually overpower this team, but it's going to be a battle. Honest question - would you trade our QB and WRs for theirs? (not talking entire roster, but just for this single game - we have some young guys that will eventually be pretty good) I'm pretty sure I'd make that trade. In fact, this might be the best pure passing offense we face this year until the national championship game against FSU.

FIFY

What an ugly comment. Sickening.

Fyi, "wishing" people would die doesn't at all cause them to, nor does it contribute to their death. Usually, it takes a bunch of Special Forces guys getting through the guy's human shield/wife.

People wish a lot more horrible things than this, usually on a daily basis. It's like when people ask me who I'm pulling for in the Iowa-Wisconsin game. I tell them it's a "plane crash game" for me. The visitor's plane crashes into the home team's practice. Sick, but intriguing.

Fyi, "wishing" people would die doesn't at all cause them to, nor does it contribute to their death. Usually, it takes a bunch of Special Forces guys getting through the guy's human shield/wife.

People wish a lot more horrible things than this, usually on a daily basis. It's like when people ask me who I'm pulling for in the Iowa-Wisconsin game. I tell them it's a "plane crash game" for me. The visitor's plane crashes into the home team's practice. Sick, but intriguing.

I always call it a "meteor game". Hoping a meteor takes out the whole stadium.

I refuse to believe Reusse wrote this article. An intern is gonna be in some trouble for writing a positive thing about the gophs.....

On gopher hole, Reusse and Pol Pot are the same, except if the leader of the Khmer Rouge said something nice about the Gophers you would all be less suspicious, because Pol Pot managed his waistline better.

I bet everybody who calls Patrick fat, is probably fat. It is kind of like protesting too much.

Refute the argument in a way that shows you may have at least visited a college. Fatty.

On gopher hole, Reusse and Pol Pot are the same, except if the leader of the Khmer Rouge said something nice about the Gophers you would all be less suspicious, because Pol Pot managed his waistline better.

I bet everybody who calls Patrick fat, is probably fat. It is kind of like protesting too much.

Refute the argument in a way that shows you may have at least visited a college. Fatty.

That's one strange simile you got there.

"The Fatrick doth protest too much, methinks."

(Bonus Points: Is this the first time Pol Pot has been used as a metaphor on Gopherhole? Personally, when I think of Communism, I think of Liberty Prime. =-)

OMG, after the last several years and mounting evidence to the contrary, we still have people stuck in the past who fail to recognize the narrowing competitive gap between the two D1 divisions. At the very least we have reached a point at which a successful FCS program cannot be lazily dismissed rather than seriously evaluated. Coaches know this, why not you?

OMG, after the last several years and mounting evidence to the contrary, we still have people stuck in the past who fail to recognize the narrowing competitive gap between the two D1 divisions. At the very least we have reached a point at which a successful FCS program cannot be lazily dismissed rather than seriously evaluated. Coaches know this, why not you?

You're saying this after we played a relatively ****ty game and still won handily?

I always call it a "meteor game". Hoping a meteor takes out the whole stadium.

That's one strange simile you got there.

"The Fatrick doth protest too much, methinks."

(Bonus Points: Is this the first time Pol Pot has been used as a metaphor on Gopherhole? Personally, when I think of Communism, I think of Liberty Prime. =-)
Really trying to avoid Godwin's Law Violations.

Top Bottom