Recap of Pitino's interview on 1500ESPN...talked Gaston, big men, The Barn & more...

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Recap of Pitino's interview on 1500ESPN...talked Gaston, big men, The Barn & more...

This is not verbatim, but it is close. Pitino was on with Reusse:

Pitino on summer access with players…You get two hours per player per week. We did 40 minute individuals three times a week. One week we did two, one-hour sessions. When school starts on Tuesday, we can have those sessions until September 15. They’ve done a good job of letting us work with the kids, but you don’t want to do it too much as you can get burnt out. The second and third years we’re working on their bodies.

Pitino on giving the guys a break…We gave them three weeks off and the guys are back. We’ll give them Tuesday off to get into classes and then we’ll get back at it on Wednesday. We all had great summers but that’s behind us now and its time to get focused.
Pitino on the new roof at Williams Arena…I was teasing Teague the other day and told him that this new roof is really going to help recruiting!

Pitino on the revised practice facility at Bierman…We spiffed it up a lot and I’m actually surprised with how good it looks. Now we have everybody on the same roof. It’s functional, and the guys can work on the game whenever they want. The day before a game and the day of the game we’ll be at Williams. It’s just about being at one building and making it as easy on them as possible.

Pitino on the Big Ten last year…Every home court advantage is very tough. You go into Nebraska and it’s a zoo in there. Michigan State, Indiana. Even Penn State is working on their atmosphere. We won two conference road games and three overall as we won at Richmond, but that’s what we have to change. You gotta win games on the road and in order for us to get to the next level we have to win games on the road.

Pitino on the addition of Maryland and Rutgers…Rutgers is always called a sleeping giant and obviously Maryland has a lot of tradition.
Pitino on the big man situation…Mo and Elliot, either one of those guys could be starters, a flip of the coin. Joey King came on at the end of last year. Josh Martin plays like a Blake Griffin type, but still raw. Buggs hopefully will take the next step and we brought in Konate who is more of a center than a power forward.

Pitino on Gaston…We received some disappointing news and it’s a bit of a speed bump and we’ll make the best of the situation. We’re confident he’ll be ready by second semester.

Pitino on the style of play…I don’t think we played the way I want to play. We were more methodical than I wanted to be and that all goes back to recruiting.

Pitino on Wisconsin…They have to be (the favorites) and they have everybody back except one guy. They are top 3 in the country.

Pitino on The Barn…When The Barn is empty there is still some charm. It reminds me of Wrigley Field. I wouldn’t change a thing. We had some times this year when we had some great environments. It is a little different (coaching up on top of the court). I love it. I really wouldn’t change one thing about it.

Go Gophers!!

He's an excellent salesman. Every public appearance he makes he's talking up the program which is the way it should be really...I wish he would just sign a life long contract here.

The quote about teasing Norwood about the roof helping recruiting is great.
I like Pitino a lot he is a positive realist.

The quote about teasing Norwood about the roof helping recruiting is great.
I like Pitino a lot he is a positive realist.

Nothing turns 17 year old kids on more than a new roof on an old barn! (and those australian rapper chicks)

Nothing turns 17 year old kids on more than a new roof on an old barn! (and those australian rapper chicks)

The only person who looks up and sees a new roof on an old barn is an unsatisfied chick.

Top Bottom