PiPress; Gophers football measuring progress in more ways than wins and losses

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Teague was criticized for paying $800,000 to get out of two nonconference games against North Carolina, last year and this year; instead, the Gophers got a win at New Mexico State in 2013 and get a difficult game Sept. 13 at Texas Christian.

"I feel like we're ready for it, but at the same time, Jerry has had a major turnaround project, which I think was greater than any of us realized," Teague said. "I think the schedule is very tough. That's not lost on me. I'm just looking for them to be competitive.

"I would love them to win eight games again. That would be a great accomplishment with their schedule. But there are a lot of other things that go into a football program besides wins. And right now, all those signals are very positive."

The football program is evaluated in ways other than wins and losses, such as competitiveness, player development, academics and recruiting, Teague said.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26418340/gophers-football-measuring-progress-more-ways-than-wins

Go Gophers!!

Not according to wren.
Time will tell, don you old coot. IF the Conference wins aren't there, how long will it be until you and your type of poster are calling for the head of Coach Kill? IF the Conference wins aren't there, how long will any of you people be singing the praises of the recruiting being done? If the Conference wins aren't there, how are you boys and girls going to celebrate the 11th consecutive loss in the battle for the AXE? How long are you people going to be satisfied with losing to Michigan by a ton of points IF my Golden Gophers get blown out in Ann Arbor on August 27th of 2014?

Sorry, our new Norwood is just blowing smoke. Conference wins mean EVERYTHING, and you people will be showing our new Norwood just how much Conference wins mean the minute the Conference wins start declining. Too many years of NOT winning any border battle games with iowa and wisky would show our new Norwood to be a condescending athletic director who thinks he can just baffle the people who complained about his $800,000.00 buy out of an out of conference series. Perhaps in the future, he will be attempting to buy out the iowa and wisky series IF Conference wins don't mean much to the fans. And, IF the conference wins start declining, how many of you will really be believing that player development is occurring at a B1G/Big Ten level. ONLY Conference wins can demonstrate improved recruiting, player development and what ever else our new Norwood thinks the fans care so much about.

Our new Norwood thinks he is pretty slick, from the sounds of his comments about what the fans care about.

Better keep winning quite a few more than 2 conference games a year, Coach Kill. Otherwise these fans who care about other things than just wins just MIGHT start getting a little restless. This fan base has been known to run a hell of a lot of coaches off for not getting enough wins...this Norwood had better do some homework on the history of the past half century of Golden Gopher Football Coaching tenures.

I'll be supporting Coach Kill and his staff even if the win totals head south. I KNOW what a difficult job he has. But, I don't know just how much a lot of the posters of your ilk, don will be just "digging" the recruiting, competitiveness and all that other stuff IF the conference wins start heading south again...

walrus - fair commentary.

It's interesting (scary?) that the fan base seems to be agreeable to, and just fine with, the idea that the team won't win 8 regular season games this year or next.

Nonetheless, a combination of losses, weak recruiting and health issues won't sit well.

Ahwell, that's why they play the games, right? Time to kick off the 'difficult schedule' against..... FCS eastern illinois.

Time will tell, don you old coot. IF the Conference wins aren't there, how long will it be until you and your type of poster are calling for the head of Coach Kill? IF the Conference wins aren't there, how long will any of you people be singing the praises of the recruiting being done? If the Conference wins aren't there, how are you boys and girls going to celebrate the 11th consecutive loss in the battle for the AXE? How long are you people going to be satisfied with losing to Michigan by a ton of points IF my Golden Gophers get blown out in Ann Arbor on August 27th of 2014?

Sorry, our new Norwood is just blowing smoke. Conference wins mean EVERYTHING, and you people will be showing our new Norwood just how much Conference wins mean the minute the Conference wins start declining. Too many years of NOT winning any border battle games with iowa and wisky would show our new Norwood to be a condescending athletic director who thinks he can just baffle the people who complained about his $800,000.00 buy out of an out of conference series. Perhaps in the future, he will be attempting to buy out the iowa and wisky series IF Conference wins don't mean much to the fans. And, IF the conference wins start declining, how many of you will really be believing that player development is occurring at a B1G/Big Ten level. ONLY Conference wins can demonstrate improved recruiting, player development and what ever else our new Norwood thinks the fans care so much about.

Our new Norwood thinks he is pretty slick, from the sounds of his comments about what the fans care about.

Better keep winning quite a few more than 2 conference games a year, Coach Kill. Otherwise these fans who care about other things than just wins just MIGHT start getting a little restless. This fan base has been known to run a hell of a lot of coaches off for not getting enough wins...this Norwood had better do some homework on the history of the past half century of Golden Gopher Football Coaching tenures.

I'll be supporting Coach Kill and his staff even if the win totals head south. I KNOW what a difficult job he has. But, I don't know just how much a lot of the posters of your ilk, don will be just "digging" the recruiting, competitiveness and all that other stuff IF the conference wins start heading south again...

How will you be supporting them? Please be specific.

walrus - fair commentary.

It's interesting (scary?) that the fan base seems to be agreeable to, and just fine with, the idea that the team won't win 8 regular season games this year or next.

Nonetheless, a combination of losses, weak recruiting and health issues won't sit well.

Ahwell, that's why they play the games, right? Time to kick off the 'difficult schedule' against..... FCS eastern illinois.

The level of contentment in the fanbase is going to be dictated by how the team plays this year. Things have been moving in an upward trajectory the past few years so it is easy for people to say they will be content with a step back in record this year. The true test will be to see how supportive people remain if the team struggles this year and isn't competitive in many of the conference games.

Don't worry Wren. The claws in GH will come out quickly if things don't go well. We better not be upset by EIU. That will be a real stinker for the season.

We had have too many unwatchable games lately. If our guys compete and I enjoy watching the games win or lose that matters a lot to me. I get pissed off when we have stretches where we go 13 quarters without a td or go into Ann Arbor and **** the bed. Compete hard and be proficient in all three facets of the game and let the chips fall where they may.

We had have too many unwatchable games lately. If our guys compete and I enjoy watching the games win or lose that matters a lot to me. I get pissed off when we have stretches where we go 13 quarters without a td or go into Ann Arbor and **** the bed. Compete hard and be proficient in all three facets of the game and let the chips fall where they may.

I agree about keeping it competitive, but I sure hope they don't get into the habit of being on the short end of the sticks.

Trophy games in particular. That to me hurts the most. I can't stand losing to the Fadgers ten straight seasons, or losing to the pig s#*%s down wind.

Are they making progress? They certainly are! There is definitely a paradigm shift during the last four years.

Let's not kid ourselves or sandbag the situation. By year four in a program, you judge by wins and losses. Anything else is a losers mentality. Jerry Kill didn't inherit a program on probation. Yea, the roster was depleted and imbalanced but its time to judge on wins and loses. Fortunately for all of us, we're coming off a nice season with 8 wins, and 4 in the Big Ten. No reason why we shouldn't at least match that again.

Let's not kid ourselves or sandbag the situation. By year four in a program, you judge by wins and losses. Anything else is a losers mentality. Jerry Kill didn't inherit a program on probation. Yea, the roster was depleted and imbalanced but its time to judge on wins and loses. Fortunately for all of us, we're coming off a nice season with 8 wins, and 4 in the Big Ten. No reason why we shouldn't at least match that again.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Year 4 under this staff and the AD goes with

1. the turnaround harder than we thought
2. the schedule is too tough
3. wins and losses not that important

in what year of this staff will it be fair to evaluate on wins and lossess? Must be in year 4 after the practice facility is built.

Year 4 under this staff and the AD goes with

1. the turnaround harder than we thought
2. the schedule is too tough
3. wins and losses not that important

in what year of this staff will it be fair to evaluate on wins and lossess? Must be in year 4 after the practice facility is built.

You need to re-read what NT said. He said you evaluate on more than wins and loses which is true, he also did his coach a favor in acknowledging that the schedule is tough. However he also said the team needs to be competitive and that recruiting is part of his evaluation. So if the players Kill is recruiting can't be competitive in the Big Ten and the wins don't come NT has left himself plenty of room to put lots of pressure on Kill to get results in 2015.

All of this of course becomes a non issue if the team duplicates last years record and continues to show things are moving in the right direction. It all really comes down to where things hit their plateau with Kill. With Mason we knew where the ceiling basically was year in and year out. We are still establishing that with Kill.

Agreed. That's why I am not even WATCHING the game tonight. It is MEANINGLESS. Will it get us more BIG TEN WINS???? No, it won't. Tell me when the BIG TEN season starts. That and ONLY that will determine success.

I believe coach Kill is quoted earlier this summer as saying it is about winning and that at Minnesota we are winners. Not making this stuff up even though I did a bit on it after he said that. Losing more is not in the plan of this administration. If we do move backward then it falls on one man's shoulders.

Let us know how your Golden Gophers did against Michigan yesterday, our Gophers don't play them until later in the year but it would be great to have the scouting report

Wins are the #1 criteria for judging success, like it or not. Fck the tough schedule, great teams get it done and blaming the schedule is a crutch. Maybe Delaney dealt us a crap hand, maybe it's just coincidence, but there's only 1 thing the Gophers can do about it and that is to get out there and compete and make it happen. I believe we can win with this schedule, I think the coaching staff is good enough to guide the team through the tough schedule.

Top Bottom