WCCO: Gopher Marching Band Mourns Member’s Death

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS local:

When the Golden Gophers take the field Thursday evening, they’ll be greeted by the University of Minnesota marching band belting out the rouser.

But it will also signal a sad reminder to all band members, who know that a popular student leader won’t be among them.

Twenty-one-year-old senior Robert Brau of Willmar was killed recently when he was riding his motorcycle home to see his parents. He was hit head-on by a distracted driver who crossed the center line.

Now, his 320 member band family is playing this season in his honor.

Band director Tim Diem said the tragedy is hitting the students hard, but is also pulling his band family together.

“They’re getting through, it’s difficult, but they’re really helping each other,” he said.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/08/27/gopher-marching-band-mourns-members-death/

Please keep the Brau family in mind as you watch and listen to the band tomorrow night. Robert was part of a great musical Minnesota family - his father has been the band instructor at Willmar High School for nearly 35 years. He loved the University of Minnesota and the band. He will be, and is already missed dearly by the band.

The band will be honoring him all season - per the below link

BvXYElTIcAAi2HG.jpg

If there isn't a moment of silence for him tomorrow at the game I will be extremely saddened. I'm friends with some guys in the band and I know they are a close-knit group. Will be cheering extra loud for them tomorrow.

bump. Please try and keep this member of OUR U of M family in your thoughts today and this season.

Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

His dad was my high school band director. He was a great guy and the way it sounds Robert was too. Really sad.

Top Bottom