Ra'Shede Hageman on Hardknocks

Go4Gr8

Reaction score
He was showcased quite a bit on tonights episode from his line coach busting his balls, it showed his fight and some playing time. Hope you guys can get it on a replay somewhere.

Hate to say it, but Shede does not look good. Everyone that questioned his work ethic has been vindicated.

Hate to say it, but Shede does not look good. Everyone that questioned his work ethic has been vindicated.
Maybe, but it took him a while to adjust to the work required at the college level, and it will probably take him a while to adjust at the NFL level.

Maybe, but it took him a while to adjust to the work required at the college level, and it will probably take him a while to adjust at the NFL level.

Good point. They won't cut him or anything, but it looks like Brian Cox is pretty determined to light a fire under him.

He got lit up on Twitter last night. I searched his name and saw ex Falcon Brian Finneran seemed to strongly dislike him. He tweeted Hageman dont get it, piece of **** won't work, dont want to work, unacceptable. He later deleted the tweet. I think its a tad harsh but hopefully Shede grows up and doesn't let this once in a lifetime opportunity go to waste.

He got lit up on Twitter last night. I searched his name and saw ex Falcon Brian Finneran seemed to strongly dislike him. He tweeted Hageman dont get it, piece of **** won't work, dont want to work, unacceptable. He later deleted the tweet. I think its a tad harsh but hopefully Shede grows up and doesn't let this once in a lifetime opportunity go to waste.

Those things whether true or not are the only reason why they were able to use their 37th round pick on him instead of their 7th pick. They seem to be forgetting that. And I still think he should have gone higher.

Agreed. Embarrassing. Especially when he was covering his fave with his shirt and said "I don't want to watch any more" during the film session.

Dude sure seems lazy. That is not something that usually changes. You either are or you're not.

Agreed. Embarrassing. Especially when he was covering his fave with his shirt and said "I don't want to watch any more" during the film session.

Dude sure seems lazy. That is not something that usually changes. You either are or you're not.

It can absolutely change. It already partly did for Ra'Shede

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/87326/gophers-hageman-structured-for-success

"I was a procrastinator," Hageman said. "It wasn’t that I didn’t like school. At that time, it wasn’t exciting. I was just lazy. I used to hate going to study hall because it took away from my nap time."

Kill provided a wake-up call for Hageman the day before a final exam. After Hageman didn't show up for a study session, Kill frantically called Eric Hageman and stayed on the line as he marched across campus to Ra'Shede's dorm room.

He banged on the door, only to find Ra'Shede asleep.

"He basically dragged him back to the football office and had one of the coaches do flash cards with him for four or five hours to get him ready," Eric Hageman said.

Added Ra'Shede: "Coach Kill was like, 'Obviously, you’re a better person than you are right now. Focus on your school and football, rather than focusing on the college party life and all that. You only get one shot at this.' He was real blunt that day. Ever since then, I’ve had my head on straight.”

Hageman left the "old Ra'Shede" behind. He's now in good academic standing, taking his final class for a degree in youth studies. His education continues on the field, too, as he goes through his fourth season at defensive tackle after switching from offense.

Plenty of guys come into the league not focused and lazy then turn out to be superstars. Roddy White in this episode even said he didn't really care about football in his first 3 years in the league. Look where he is now. I think they partly are trying to paint an impression to the viewers that is is lazy and they could have painted the impression that he was a hard worker if they wanted to but they are setting him up to look successful in the end. Also Cox is so much harder on him than any other player he coaches and that just makes him look more lazy than he actually is as well. He is a very good coach that knows how good he can be and is trying to light a fire underneath him. He hand picked Ra'Shede and is his own personal project. HBO thought is would be a very good storyline.

Further proof

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/7576/hageman-coming-along-for-falcons

If you based Ra'Shede Hageman's progress on some of the scenes in HBO's "Hard Knocks," you might think the Atlanta Falcons' rookie was on the roster bubble.

In reality, defensive line coach Bryan Cox sees the potential in the second-round pick from Minnesota, which is why Cox continues to ride Hageman about his conditioning and motivation.

Is Hard Knocks only on HBO?

Yup. It's all on HBO Go though. you could order HBO, watch all the episodes, then cancel it. Side note, I thought it was cheesy that the Vikes had a Verizon patch on their practice jerseys until I saw that the Falcons wear a King's Hawaiian patch. It's good bread, but still.

'Shede's yawn during the session with the coach tells it all. He doesn't like to practice or the Atlanta sweltering heat & humidity. They definitely have to try to not let "the streets of Atlanta" get him.

He did play pretty decent. He even sacked the Titans QB.

Yup. It's all on HBO Go though. you could order HBO, watch all the episodes, then cancel it. Side note, I thought it was cheesy that the Vikes had a Verizon patch on their practice jerseys until I saw that the Falcons wear a King's Hawaiian patch. It's good bread, but still.
NFL Now also has clips from Hard Knocks. I watched the clip with 'Shede and Cox in the film room last night. NFL Now is available for $1.99 per month if you are looking for NFL content.

I'm not sure how he has chmaged from being lazy. Poster copied in a story of Hageman being lazy in school work. Now we see the same thing in Falcons practice. Very hard to get a dog to change his stripes.

Uhm...maybe reality TV is edited to show exactly what the producers want you to see?

I don't get the Ra'shede Hageman hate, or complaining?

I'm not sure how he has chmaged from being lazy. Poster copied in a story of Hageman being lazy in school work. Now we see the same thing in Falcons practice. Very hard to get a dog to change his stripes.

He is one of our's and people are bagging on him and dogging him out as a rookie in the NFL, give me a break. All based on some highly edited footage from hardknocks. They show you the drama and the highlights of what they want.
Football wise he is still learning his trade and his craft as a pro, and really is just scratching the surface of what he can be. How long was Hageman a defensive lineman, 3 years total(Freshman year doesn't count because they were throwing him out there because of his size without teaching him anything).
That, and he came in from the city conference playing the line in high school where most guys are getting by on size and strength and just talent not coaching. Some guy's shine better on game day anyways, and get excited when they make plays. He is a grown man enough to know that playing in the NFL is not a given to anyone and that he will have to work at it and make plays to stick around.
Look how many college players with terrific talent never even make it to playing one down in the NFL? These are the best
athletes and Ra'Shede will only get better in learning from Cox. Cox is hard on him because he expects great things and see's the talent, he will be just fine. Leave the dude alone, I for one am happy he is in the league, the more Gophers representing the better off we are. Go Shede and go Gophers.

So you're saying that's just a Rashede lookalike?

I have a buddy that is an editor for reality TV and has been nominated for 3 prime-time Emmy's (winning one). It's a joke what they show vs. what they film. He gets so pissed that there is great stuff being shot, but it will never be shown, because it goes against the pre-determined narrative of the show.

I have a buddy that is an editor for reality TV and has been nominated for 3 prime-time Emmy's (winning one). It's a joke what they show vs. what they film. He gets so pissed that there is great stuff being shot, but it will never be shown, because it goes against the pre-determined narrative of the show.

I'm sure that happens all the time.

But Shede is on the camera doing what he's doing. The producer's aren't telling the rookie 2nd rounder to be a jackass and jeopardize his playing career. And I don't think they would tell him to get in a fight at the start of camp.

Then again, maybe they would. But you'd think Rashede would have the intelligence to brush off whatever they tell him to do. I hope he figures it out soon, because i think he's in a good organization down there in Atlanta and I wouldn't want him to ruin that.

IMO Lots of editing to make him look like a jackass.. That center for Atlanta is know as brawley and known for being especially tough on rookies. Ra'Shede shouldn't have thrown a punch, but we don't know what happened the plays before that. Remember (for those watching it) that center got into a fight at a scrimmage against the Titans after clearly being told not to and told that his day would be done if he did. So its not like Ra'Shede decided to get into a fight against some blameless victim.

IMO Lots of editing to make him look like a jackass.. That center for Atlanta is know as brawley and known for being especially tough on rookies. Ra'Shede shouldn't have thrown a punch, but we don't know what happened the plays before that. Remember (for those watching it) that center got into a fight at a scrimmage against the Titans after clearly being told not to and told that his day would be done if he did. So its not like Ra'Shede decided to get into a fight against some blameless victim.
The fight isn't his biggest problem. Standing there sipping water while with position coach tells him multiple times to start running while he just stands there looks bad.

The fight isn't his biggest problem. Standing there sipping water while with position coach tells him multiple times to start running while he just stands there looks bad.

And thanks to editing, it looks like he is the only player to ever do that.

So every player just stands there when their coach tells them to run? Every player covers there eyes and begs for it to stop in film sessions? Someone should tell Fineran. Why do I get the feeling you couldn't get the same film on Brock?

Top Bottom