Gaston Diedhiou Update

Pitino was just on 1500 and said that he expects him to be enrolled by the 2nd semester. Didn't really say much other than that.

Pitino was just on 1500 and said that he expects him to be enrolled by the 2nd semester. Didn't really say much other than that.

Have to believe Pitino was well aware that this was a possibility. He's mining for a diamond in the rough--if Gaston was going to be that important this season, the Gophers weren't going to do much anyway. I don't think that's the case; maybe I've already had too much Kool-Aid, but Young Richard seems like he's thinking about two steps ahead of just about everyone. I think he likes the flexibility this gives him.

What bothers me is how we got to within days of the school year beginning before this came up. This is a May or June issue, if not sooner, not an August to almost September issue.

Respectfully, do you really believe this issue just came up? Do you really think multiple departments/big wigs haven't had continuous conversations/communication about whatever his issues were? I find it highly, highly unlikely that the athletic department was left in the dark, no matter how it's spun to the media behind the scenes by someone from the inside (coaching staff).

Marcus R. Fuller @GophersNow · 2h

Another interesting thing Pitino said is he could "flip a coin" between seniors Elliott Eliason and Mo Walker on who could start at center.

Marcus R. Fuller @GophersNow · 2h

Pitino says on FR Gaston Diedhiou who wasn't admitted that it was disappointing news and a speed bump but expects to get him in 2nd semester

https://twitter.com/GophersNow

Pitino was on with Reusse at the State Fair. Said they think there is a good chance that GD will qualify after taking english classes this fall, and could join the team at the start of the 2nd semester.

Question from Non-U of M person - when does the 2nd Semester start?

Pitino was on with Reusse at the State Fair. Said they think there is a good chance that GD will qualify after taking english classes this fall, and could join the team at the start of the 2nd semester.

Question from Non-U of M person - when does the 2nd Semester start?

Looks like early January
http://www1.umn.edu/usenate/calendars/14-15tc.html

pp; Gophers basketball: Richard Pitino hopes freshman Diedhiou can be admitted second semester

Gophers basketball: Richard Pitino hopes freshman Diedhiou can be admitted second semester

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...eshman-diedhiou-can-admitted-second-semester/

What I find most interesting about the whole Diedhiou issue is that someone from the basketball program is clearly involved in shaping the story. If the staff was happy/ok with the decision to not admit Diedhiou, the quotes/inferences in Amelia's/Marcus' stories would not exist. Rightly or wrongly, the staff believes a roadblock was put in front of them that wouldn't exist at most of their competitors institutions. The fact that Konate's arrival on campus was also delayed, even though he was eligible by NCAA standards, has most likely stunted his development for this year as well.

If it is true that both these players get in without issue at 95 (or even 75) percent of other schools, then that's a real issue the University of Minnesota needs to address. My expectations for Gopher athletics are to compete with the very best programs in the country, but to do that you cant' tie a hand behind your back.

With recruiting going well- the fact that the staff didn't just say adios to Gaston is an indication that the kid is probably pretty talented and they really believe he is worth the wait.

If the staff was happy/ok with the decision to not admit Diedhiou, the quotes/inferences in Amelia's/Marcus' stories would not exist.

Think this one through a bit more.

With recruiting going well- the fact that the staff didn't just say adios to Gaston is an indication that the kid is probably pretty talented and they really believe he is worth the wait.

This one too.

What I find most interesting about the whole Diedhiou issue is that someone from the basketball program is clearly involved in shaping the story. If the staff was happy/ok with the decision to not admit Diedhiou, the quotes/inferences in Amelia's/Marcus' stories would not exist. Rightly or wrongly, the staff believes a roadblock was put in front of them that wouldn't exist at most of their competitors institutions. The fact that Konate's arrival on campus was also delayed, even though he was eligible by NCAA standards, has most likely stunted his development for this year as well.

If it is true that both these players get in without issue at 95 (or even 75) percent of other schools, then that's a real issue the University of Minnesota needs to address. My expectations for Gopher athletics are to compete with the very best programs in the country, but to do that you cant' tie a hand behind your back.

And yet, even after multiple issues similar to this at MN, some folks on this board still believe all is fair on the competition front.

And wonder why MN struggles so much.

I agree. Tubby would have been gone to UVa if they'd agreed to his requests regarding lowering the admission standards. Whether that would have been good or bad can be debated. But few things make coaches angrier than admissions offices not letting their players in, IMO.

This one too.

I have a better idea.

Just tell us what you think. It would make it so much easier for us simple minds who can't quite get to the level of wisdom that you could impart to us.

This "I know something you don't know" routine is so childish.

Just say it. It can't be that great if you haven't spilled the beans yet.

And, I have a strong hunch that what you're hinting at couldn't be more wrong, but I guess we'll never know since you refuse to let us mere mortals in on your great intelligence.

Props to the U for sticking to their academic standards. Sorry to see this man denied by the U, but rules are in place for reasons.

[/B]

And yet, even after multiple issues similar to this at MN, some folks on this board still believe all is fair on the competition front.

And wonder why MN struggles so much.

This same school just admitted a running back that hasn't been cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse as of yet. Let's not get too worked up about our school admissions getting in the way all the time. I guess having a short memory helps with the woe is me attitude around here.

This one too.

You're a coward. You are not willing to say what you think on the internet of all places.

Do you believe aliens landed on earth? Was the moon landing a hoax? How much tinfoil do you go through in a week?

This is disappointing. You can change who is running it, but you can't take the stupid out of the Gopher athletic program.

This is disappointing. You can change who is running it, but you can't take the stupid out of the Gopher athletic program.

What did the athletic program do that's stupid here? Based on what I've read it's the admissions dept that made this decision. Is the admissions dept part of the athletic program? I thought they were seperate. I could be wrong though.

Props to the U for sticking to their academic standards. Sorry to see this man denied by the U, but rules are in place for reasons.

+1...really disappointed in gopherhole members right now. The sole purpose of the University of Minnesota is to educate.

Root for Alabama if you don't want to hold people accountable for academics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all of the people who don't understand Gopher Warrior's cryptic messages, let me attempt to clarify.

The horn blows at midnight.

The moondogs howl at the northern lights.

The end of the beginning begins to end the beginning.

I hope this helps, Gopher fans!

+1...really disappointed in gopherhole members right now. The sole purpose of the University of Minnesota is to educate.

And the sole purpose of Man is to procreate.

I would agree with you if the issue was holding him accountable for academics and he was a completely at-risk individual with little chance of succeeding academically due to a poor track record and lousy test scores.

However, if reports are true, it seems like his biggest crime is he grew up in a different country that speaks a different language. We know he has shown the propensity for picking up a different language already as he speaks several languages supposedly.

I get a rule is a rule but these athletes have access to resources that you or I would not.

For all of the people who don't understand Gopher Warrior's cryptic messages, let me attempt to clarify.

The moondogs howl at the northern lights

I was really lost in GW's deep wisdom. That one in piticular really clears it up for me thanks jmag!

-Poop Dweams (acording to the great GW intellect)

YWxjgQN.png

I'm just honored he took time out of his busy schedule making millions and educating the world to take a shot at me (pathetic as it was).

Sorry to see this man denied by the U, but rules are in place for reasons.

What exactly are the rules? Are all of our B1G brethren following these supposed "rules"?

You and Laney are setting up a strawman, arguing something nobody contests (the fact that the U shouldn't just let in anyone the basketball team wants). It's the reported facts and context of this particular decision that have people up in arms.

What did the athletic program do that's stupid here? Based on what I've read it's the admissions dept that made this decision. Is the admissions dept part of the athletic program? I thought they were seperate. I could be wrong though.

Good point, although they got Jeff Jones admitted, and he isn't even NCAA eligible so I assume the athletic department deserves some of the blame.

The University is a huge school and should be taking a few academic risks, especially with people from diverse backgrounds or with special skills. Gaston fits on both accounts.

Good point, although they got Jeff Jones admitted, and he isn't even NCAA eligible so I assume the athletic department deserves some of the blame.

There would be a lot more heat locally if Jones didn't get in.

There would be a lot more heat locally if Jones didn't get in.

But it would be way more justifiable to deny a kid who isn't even eligible than to deny a kid who is eligible.

There are Asian students all over campus that hardly speak English, but apparently it's an issue now.

Top Bottom