Top 5 Players at Each Position in the B1G?

DeathClutch

Reaction score
Point Guard:
1. Yogi Ferrell
2. Deandre Mathieu
3. Myles Mack
4. Derrick Walton
5. Traevon Jackson

Shooting Guards:
1. Caris Levert
2. Andre Hollins
3. DJ. Newbill:
4. Jershon Cobb
5. Kendrick Nunn

Small Forward:
1. Terran Pettaway
2. Dez Wells
3. Sam Dekker
4. Rayvonte Rice
5. Zak Irvin

Power Forward:
1. Branden Dawson
2. Nigel Hayes
3. Aaron White
4. Walter Pitchford
5. Anthony Lee

Center:
1. Frank Kaminsky
2. AJ. Hammons
3. Alex Olah
4. Mo Walker
5. Nnanna Egwu

Agree? Disagree?

For PG's, I'd probably put Jackson 3rd ahead of Walton and Mack. Very underrated and I don't think Wisky gets as far last year as they did without him. Only other disagreement is Dekker as I think he's the best SF in the conference and one of the best in the country. Wells had a so-so year last season and the jury is still on if he can be successful in the BT.

For PG's, I'd probably put Jackson 3rd ahead of Walton and Mack. Very underrated and I don't think Wisky gets as far last year as they did without him. Only other disagreement is Dekker as I think he's the best SF in the conference and one of the best in the country. Wells had a so-so year last season and the jury is still on if he can be successful in the BT.
Wholeheartedly disagree about Dekker.

He might have the ability, but does not have the killer instinct. He is non existent for very large stretches of the big 10 season and in big situations in games.

Overall really solid list DeathClutch

I probably put Dekker #2

I agree on Dre Hollins, but based on ability not results (i.e. rest of conference would likely rate him a bit lower)

I think Mo could be #3 ahead of Olah

After watching him in person a couple times, I'm not the biggest Anthony Lee fan. He is a good player, but not sure I'd put him in a top-5 list for a position in the Big Ten (although you could argue that the PF position is rather weak in the league ... but where is Walter Pitchford? He is a very good stretch 4 type forward who I would rate ahead of Lee). I think either Kam Williams or D'Angelo Russell, whoever starts between them, is going to be top-5 at the SG position ahead of a Jershon Cobb or Kendrick Nunn. Also, MSU got Bryn Forbes eligible this year and he may creep into that top-5 there as well. Plus Denzel Valentine is a pretty good SF, and although he has not been a particularly high scorer, I'd rather have his versatility compared to a guy who last year was a 1-trick pony (Zak Irvin).

After watching him in person a couple times, I'm not the biggest Anthony Lee fan. He is a good player, but not sure I'd put him in a top-5 list for a position in the Big Ten (although you could argue that the PF position is rather weak in the league ... but where is Walter Pitchford? He is a very good stretch 4 type forward who I would rate ahead of Lee). I think either Kam Williams or D'Angelo Russell, whoever starts between them, is going to be top-5 at the SG position ahead of a Jershon Cobb or Kendrick Nunn. Also, MSU got Bryn Forbes eligible this year and he may creep into that top-5 there as well. Plus Denzel Valentine is a pretty good SF, and although he has not been a particularly high scorer, I'd rather have his versatility compared to a guy who last year was a 1-trick pony (Zak Irvin).

Yeah, I goofed with Pitchford. I totally forgot about him. I purposely stayed away from ranking Freshmen. Guys like Russell, Williams, Trimble, and Blackmon Jr. could be top 5 by the end of the season. As far as Denzel vs. Irvin, it was a tough debate, but I can't get past the fact how good Irvin looked in limited minutes last year. He only averaged 15mpg last year, and that will likely double this year. That coupled with the fact that players usually take the biggest jumps in production in their Sophomore years, leads me to believe Irvin is going to have a big year. SF is stacked in the B1G though.

Looks like a weak year at C and PF for the B1G. Honestly if Mo Walker and Eliason were on different teams, they'd both crack the top 5. Remember, Eliason was leading the B1G in blocks and second in rebounds when he was getting consistent minutes in the first part of the year. Other than Kaminsky (who isn't a C in the true sense of the word), all of those guys are limited. Hammons is one of those guys whose "potential" seems like it's always going to outweigh his play.

I'd have Bronson Koenig in the top 5 SG, although he'll play some point as well. Think you have Dez Wells a bit overrated at a loaded 3 position. Overall good list though.

Top Bottom