Detroit Free Press West Division predictions

Those aren't predictions, they are write-ups :)

Minnesota

2013 record: 8-5, 4-4.

Key players: QB Mitch Leidner (619 yards passing, three TDs, 407 rushing yards, seven TDs), RB David Cobb (5.1 yards per carry, 1,202 yards, seven TDs), DE Theiren Cockran (7½ sacks, 30 tackles), CB Eric Murray (52 tackles, 10 pass breakups).

Keep an eye on: The ball in the air. If Leidner can be effective often enough when he puts it there, the Gophers can have another successful season. Leidner was more of a running threat while splitting time with Philip Nelson last season, but he showed passing ability. A talented group of tight ends should help.

Overview: You have to like what Jerry Kill has done with this program, even through all of his health problems. He has built some toughness in the trenches on both sides, and this team can defend and run the ball. Eight wins may be tough to repeat, but Minnesota is no longer a gimme win for anyone in the league.

Those aren't predictions, they are write-ups :)

My fault.

Forgot to mention I got it from Twitter, where the writer (Joe Rexrode) indicates team capsules are listed in the predicted order of finish.

Maybe you meant this article:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140824/SPORTS08/308240139

Minnesota will be bowl-eligible before Halloween. Yep, darkhorse division title contender talk will be swirling in Minneapolis with the Gophers at 6-2 overall and 3-1 in the Big Ten when November hits. And it’s a good thing, too. Because Minnesota’s final four opponents are Iowa, Ohio State, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Gulp.

The West will score at least one victory over the East’s top three: And remember, Wisconsin and Iowa don’t play MSU, Ohio State or Michigan. So this win will have to come from outside the projected top two. The primary candidates for a Western coup are Nebraska at MSU, Ohio State at Minnesota and Michigan at Northwestern.

I'm not exactly sure why MN over MI isn't listed as a better possibility the MN over OSU. We get MI early which is always a good thing when a team has as many changes as MI. I do understand that getting OSU the week after MSU makes it a trap game. I guess it boils down to home versus road but then again we have upset MI in the Big House before.

How's this for bold predictions. Minnesota enters the final stretch 4-0 in B1G. They beat Ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin to finish 7-1. Beat MSU in Indy. Rose Bowl bound. Start making travel plans to Pasadena GHers.

I do have a hotel reserved in Indy, just in case (and I'm not kidding).

I do have a hotel reserved in Indy, just in case (and I'm not kidding).

Outstanding. I have reserved a room over New Years near the Rose Bowl practically every year for the last 4-5. Never had the guts to book the non-refundable advanced rate to save a few bucks tho. Had a room in Jacksonville last year too.

Outstanding. I have reserved a room over New Years near the Rose Bowl practically every year for the last 4-5. Never had the guts to book the non-refundable advanced rate to save a few bucks tho. Had a room in Jacksonville last year too.

I travel often for work and am thus a Marriott guy, and the rates are already ridiculous - $300+ at the regular Marriott. I did get a Res Inn room for $180 per night for both nights. I recommend people book now, again, just in case. In most cases, you can cancel the day of check-in (Marriott is 6pm the day of check-in).

How's this for bold predictions. Minnesota enters the final stretch 4-0 in B1G. They beat Ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin to finish 7-1. Beat MSU in Indy. Rose Bowl bound. Start making travel plans to Pasadena GHers.

In this scenario, the Gophers would have to go 4-0 in non-conference to be 11-1 on the year and possibly go to the Rose Bowl as one of the four playoff teams. If they went 3-1 in non-conference to 10-2, they would not go to the Rose Bowl, as the Rose Bowl is a national semifinal game for this season. A 10-2 Gopher team would not be in the final four. Unfortunately, in the scenario you posed, there's a decent chance an 11-1 Gopher team that won in Indy would go to Cotton Bowl in Dallas (maybe Orange in Miami) and a 10-2 Gophers team that won in Indy would probably end up in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta.

In this scenario, the Gophers would have to go 4-0 in non-conference to be 11-1 on the year and possibly go to the Rose Bowl as one of the four playoff teams. If they went 3-1 in non-conference to 10-2, they would not go to the Rose Bowl, as the Rose Bowl is a national semifinal game for this season. A 10-2 Gopher team would not be in the final four. Unfortunately, in the scenario you posed, there's a decent chance an 11-1 Gopher team that won in Indy would go to Cotton Bowl in Dallas (maybe Orange in Miami) and a 10-2 Gophers team that won in Indy would probably end up in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta.

As long as they go to a top tier Jan. bowl game, I'm good with that.

As long as they go to a top tier Jan. bowl game, I'm good with that.

Yes, I suppose, but I'll be honest.

I'll be really, really bummed if we beat MSU in Indy and end up in Atlanta at the Peach Bowl playing at the freaking Georgia Dome. That's a LONG way from Pasedena and the Rose Bowl, where the winner in Indy should be going.

Top Bottom