BTN: Countdown to kickoff: West top tradition? (Brent Yarina: Paul Bunyan’s Axe.)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Brent Yarina: Paul Bunyan’s Axe. My favorite Big Ten trophy, Paul Bunyan’s Axe is cool – it’s six-feet long – historical – it’s awarded to the victor of the game’s oldest rivalry – and highly coveted – it’s led to some hurt feelings recently. The series has been one-sided, with Wisconsin taking the last 10 meetings, but it never gets old watching the players sprint after the hardware and swing it around following the final whistle.

http://btn.com/2014/08/22/countdown-to-kickoff-west-top-tradition/

Go Gophers!!

Puke on the "Jump Around". Although it is always fun to see obese adults jiggle and get winded by the 2nd verse, it's not even as impressive as when their students choreograph the wave (IMHO). At least that requires planning and execution.

Puke on the "Jump Around". Although it is always fun to see obese adults jiggle and get winded by the 2nd verse, it's not even as impressive as when their students choreograph the wave (IMHO). At least that requires planning and execution.

Jump Around is sweet, even if it is from Wisconsin.

per BTN:

Brent Yarina: Paul Bunyan’s Axe. My favorite Big Ten trophy, Paul Bunyan’s Axe is cool – it’s six-feet long – historical – it’s awarded to the victor of the game’s oldest rivalry – and highly coveted – it’s led to some hurt feelings recently. The series has been one-sided, with Wisconsin taking the last 10 meetings, but it never gets old watching the players sprint after the hardware and swing it around following the final whistle.

http://btn.com/2014/08/22/countdown-to-kickoff-west-top-tradition/

Go Gophers!!

In what universe is a 59-56-8 series one-sided?

Jump Around is sweet, even if it is from Wisconsin.

It's pretty fun, I just don't see how something can be a "best tradition" if it's only been around since 1992. Although I guess Wisconsin football began in 1993, so it's a "tradition" for their program

It's pretty fun, I just don't see how something can be a "best tradition" if it's only been around since 1992. Although I guess Wisconsin football began in 1993, so it's a "tradition" for their program

Play like a champion at ND has only been around since the mid-80s, is that not a tradition? The Axe only came about only half way through the all time series. What arbitrary date cut off should people use?

There are a lot of great ones to choose from this list.

The Axe
Jump Around
Pink locker room
Nebraska's walk

Play like a champion at ND has only been around since the mid-80s, is that not a tradition? The Axe only came about only half way through the all time series. What arbitrary date cut off should people use?

I see your point but 22 years for me just doesn't seem like that long of a tradition.

I see your point but 22 years for me just doesn't seem like that long of a tradition.

I guess, but in the scheme of things 22 years is a pretty long time. As I said, NDs sign is one of the most iconic images in college sports and is only a couple years older. We've had a tough 50 years, just because something has happened inside of that time period doesn't make it insignificant.

Don't tell me this whole thing comes around to a discussion of significant digits.

Don't tell me this whole thing comes around to a discussion of significant digits.

Right on, Dean. WE DON'T NEED NO DAMNED SIGNIFICANT DIGITS! ONLY THOSE THAT HAS GOPHERS WITH A HIGHER NUMBER AT THE END OF EACH GAME THAN OUR OPPONENT!!! Those are significant digits.

GO GOPHERS!!! SKI U MAH!

Jump around... a great football tradition since 1994!!!!!!!!!!!

Just more reason to put zero stock into Dienhart's sports knowledge.

Jump around started in '98 or '99. It's even younger than you think.

There are a lot of great ones to choose from this list.

The Axe
Jump Around
Pink locker room
Nebraska's walk

It can be a tradition, sure. I think you may be confusing tradition with best tradition. We do stuff at TCF that could be called tradition despite it recency, but I would never make an argument that it's the "best tradition" in the West

The Axe came later but it's representative of a rivalry dating back to the 1800s that has pretty much been dead even historically - so it's a pretty great tradition IMO

As far as I am concerned, the rotating M and the swinging gates are as good as any out there. And then there's "WHO HATES IOWA" when we aren't even playing them that week. Classic.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom