How will you define 2014 as a successful season?

58-0

oh, you had to bring that up. I wonder if that is Jerry Kill's biggest professional beatdown.

oh, you had to bring that up. I wonder if that is Jerry Kill's biggest professional beatdown.

Good question. From some quick research, the next biggest after 58-0 was a 62-7 loss to Northwest Missouri St while at Emporia in 2000, and after that, a 56-12 loss to Baylor w/ Southern Illinois in 2001. But 58-0 takes the prize as his worst loss, by point value, as a head coach.

Sandell chimes in: How will Gophers measure success or failure this season?

For the Gophers to avoid backtracking, they must stay away from major letdowns. Part of doing so includes winning the games in which they'll be favored. First of all that means taking out lesser nonconference foes (Eastern Illinois, Middle Tennessee State and San Jose State). In Big Ten play, a three-game run against Northwestern, Purdue and a road trip to Illinois could be a vital determining factor of their postseason fate.

It's also critical Minnesota end the season on a high note. The Gophers haven't won a bowl game since 2004 (Music City Bowl vs. Alabama) - the second-longest drought in the Big Ten (Indiana hasn't won since the 1991 Copper Bowl). While the quality of the bowl also plays a factor, a postseason win would be another key milestone in the rebuild Kill is trying to oversee at Minnesota. Kill and his players have referenced to last year's Texas Bowl defeat as a turning point of sorts, the wake-up call that was needed to show how much more had to be done to take the leap forward they envision is possible.

Now the trick is translating that renewed drive into tangible results this season.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._measure_success_or_failure_this_season082414

Go Gophers!!

unproven QB and questions at the WR position and trying to replace probably your 2 best defensive players

6-6 and a bowl game win would be a success

10 wins including wins over WI & IA

Beat Michigan!
Beat Iowa!
Beat Nebraska!
Be competitive against TOSU.

Be 9-3. And win the Bowl Game.

9 wins is progress. 8 wins is stagnation. 7 wins is regression. 6 wins to satisfy the old guard of diehard fans.

It's always wins for me.

Right now I see the Gophers favored the non-conference schedule and VS Purdue and Ill. I think they can beat Iowa, Michigan,NW, and Nebraska, maybe WI but best case is we are even money VS a few of those teams at this point. I'm going with about 8 wins and if they get that or better I will be happy with it.

9 wins is progress. 8 wins is stagnation. 7 wins is regression. 6 wins to satisfy the old guard of diehard fans.

If 8 wins is stagnation, I would be jumping for joy to be stagnant I guess. Last year saw such unexpected success, that it is unfair to think it will be repeated.

8 wins with at least one coming against Wisconsin, Iowa, or Michigan

OR

7 wins with at least two coming against Wisconsin, Iowa, or Michigan

We're walking a tightrope this year at the QB position.

If that breaks bad, things could get fugly.

I should have said if we beat WI, I'd be happy with 6-6.

It will be nice if we upset somebody like tOSU.

9 wins = Success without question

8 wins = I'll say it's a success if two of them are bowl game and Iowa/Wisconsin.

7 wins or less = Failure. This is year 4. 7-6 is not okay.

9 wins = Success without question

8 wins = I'll say it's a success if two of them are bowl game and Iowa/Wisconsin.

7 wins or less = Failure. This is year 4. 7-6 is not okay.

I can see some scenarios where 7-6 could be ok if the wins were rivalry games and upsets and the losses were well played and hard fought but in general I would agree that this is when the bar goes up for Kill and his staff and just getting to .500 isn't really good enough.

Some of you people are nuts.

.500 in the conference would be gnarly.

Some of you people are nuts.

.500 in the conference would be gnarly.

I haven't really seen a lot of people saying .500 in the conference wouldn't be good enough. If you are talking about my post I meant .500 in terms of overall record not being good enough considering there should be 3 wins minimum waiting in the non-conf portion of the schedule.

I haven't really seen a lot of people saying .500 in the conference wouldn't be good enough. If you are talking about my post I meant .500 in terms of overall record not being good enough considering there should be 3 wins minimum waiting in the non-conf portion of the schedule.

There should be 3 wins minimum waiting in the B1G. We have three opponents in conference play with a combined 2-22 record last year. 2 of those games are at home. If I remember correctly, the only time any of those 3 teams won a conference game last year was in a game involving both of them where one of them had to win.

6-6. The Lack of dept is going to hurt. We will have to use our back ups during the season

It's going to be hard to measure what success means this year...on paper, I think we have a better squad than last year, and we could very easily have a worse record solely due to schedule. If we can go 3-1 for the non-conference (with the loss being @ TCU) and go 4-4 in the B1G with at least one trophy in our case...I call that a successful season. Throw a bowl win in on that and that's a cherry on top of the sundae.

My key to the success or failure will be the outcome of the first conference game of the season... Bring home the JUG on September 27th from Ann Arbor and a BIG TEN trophy win is "in the bank..." That would help this team and this program and these players SO much. They would have seven more chances to add to their conference win total. Two of those games would be border battle clashes. Bring home the JUG and many good things just may happen. Win or lose though: SHOW UP at the Big House! It may be a long season if my Gophers fail to make a game of it when they play the JUG GAME. This game is the biggest game of the Kill Era. The most physical team will win the game in Ann Arbor...

End the madness: beat the stinking badger in his camp. Go Gophers!

My key to the success or failure will be the outcome of the first conference game of the season... Bring home the JUG on September 27th from Ann Arbor and a BIG TEN trophy win is "in the bank..." That would help this team and this program and these players SO much. They would have seven more chances to add to their conference win total. Two of those games would be border battle clashes. Bring home the JUG and many good things just may happen. Win or lose though: SHOW UP at the Big House! It may be a long season if my Gophers fail to make a game of it when they play the JUG GAME. This game is the biggest game of the Kill Era. The most physical team will win the game in Ann Arbor...

End the madness: beat the stinking badger in his camp. Go Gophers!

I'm thinking along these lines. The Gophers have a very real shot at starting 8-0. @Michigan (and @TCU) are the two obvious roadblocks looming over that possibility.

Top Bottom