How will you define 2014 as a successful season?

Kill not missing time.

Making some progress on recruiting.

AD stops the nonsense and gets aggressive with funding a facility project(s).

Kill & Co's first ever FBS bowl win.

No QB controversy until at least week 8.

GW not posting for the entire season. That would definitely be considered a success.

8-4 with no marquee wins
OR
6-6 with a win over Michigan or Wisconsin

It's amazing to me how little has to be accomplished this year for some to call this season a "success". I understand that it's difficult to just put a number of wins out there as "success", but I find it hard to believe anything less that .500 in the B1G with much more competitive losses than we've seen in the past (only TWO of this staff's 16 B1G losses have been by less than 10pts!) would really leave people feeling good about the state of the program.

Two of the three - pig, jug, axe in trophy case, and a bowl appearance.

I know that we have two games left plus a bowl appearance.

I know that I have said I'd consider it a success if the trophy case is complete with the axe.

Now, I'd be happy with a 7-5 regular season record and a bowl win.

But, if we happen to win one or both remaining games I will consider that icing on the cake!

Go Gophers!

Staff member eating ice cream on the sideline during a snowstorm.

I said 7-5 with a bowl win would be a tremendous year given our schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to see us win one more game and at least be competitive in the other two.

Given what we know about TCU, I'd define success this year as beating last year's conference win total. Get to 5 conference wins and we've got a successful season. Finish on a three game losing streak but win the bowl game, and you'd have to ask me again after it happens.

Thought I'd bump this. Except for the people who said 8 wins, nearly every answer on this thread has already been met.

Seven wins, and competitive in all games. Given the schedule I'm not expecting improvement on our 8-win season a year ago, but if we're competitive in all the games (within 14 points of all opponents) it will signal big progress to me. Haven't had a season where didn't lose at least one game by >14 points since 1999. Our biggest loss that year was by 5 points to Purdue.

Biggest losses in the seasons since:

2000: @ Wisconsin, 41-20
2001: @ Toledo, 38-7
2002: @ Ohio State, 34-3
2003: @ Iowa, 40-22
2004: @ Michigan St, 51-17
2005: @ Penn State, 44-14
2006: @ Ohio State, 44-0
2007: vs Illinois, 44-17
2008: vs Iowa, 55-0
2009: @ Ohio State, 38-7
2010: vs Ohio State, 52-10
2011: @ Michigan, 58-0
2012: @ Wisconsin, 38-13
2013: @ Michigan, 42-13

Came close on this one so far. If we don't get hammered in one of our last two games, I will be willing to forgive the 23-point loss at TCU to consider it a success. Outside of that game, our worst loss was the 7-pointer last week.

Came close on this one so far. If we don't get hammered in one of our last two games, I will be willing to forgive the 23-point loss at TCU to consider it a success. Outside of that game, our worst loss was the 7-pointer last week.

I would say Illinois was the worst loss, but I know what you mean ;)

(1) Beat Wisconsin, then no matter what happens vs. Nebraska and in the bowl game it's a smashing success.

(2) Beat Nebraska, lose to Wisconsin, win bowl game = smashing success.

(1) Beat Wisconsin, then no matter what happens vs. Nebraska and in the bowl game it's a smashing success.

I want it all. 10-3 has a nice ring to it.

I just had a moment...IF we keep winning (which I am not sure will happen BTW) we get 4 more games to enjoy. Do that and next year I will be going to games played on "Jerry Kill Field" at "TCF Bank Stadium"

Could not agree more. Right now, I think the next three bricks this team needs are: axe, winning conference record, bowl game win. Either of your scenarios gets us at least two of those three.

We would play 14 games in that scenario.

11-3 or 10-4? I think we would have trouble beating tOSU on a neutral field. We would have a ton of confidence rolling into the BCG after beating Neb and Wis though...

8-5, any way it can be accomplished. That's better than last year when TCU is figured in.

Top Bottom