How will you define 2014 as a successful season?

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Is it total wins? Specific improvement in a particular part of the program? Competitive vs Wisconsin and Ohio State?

For me its 3-1/4-4 with at least a win over UW or Iowa, as well as a bowl win. So that puts us at 8-5 with a win over a rival and a bowl win. That's a successful season to me.

3-9 if our three wins are Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin.

Seriously.

Two of the three - pig, jug, axe in trophy case, and a bowl appearance.

What you said

Is it total wins? Specific improvement in a particular part of the program? Competitive vs Wisconsin and Ohio State?

For me its 3-1/4-4 with at least a win over UW or Iowa, as well as a bowl win. So that puts us at 8-5 with a win over a rival and a bowl win. That's a successful season to me.

I'd be okay with 6 and 6 and a bowl win for 7 and 6 with our schedule. But I like your scenario much better. :clap: 8 wins and more is doable
but any of the scenarios to 7 or 8 wins won't be easy. I'm anxious for Thursday to see how much different we look than last year.

3-9 if our three wins are Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin.

Seriously.

That would be sweet but can't we win three of the non conference games...go to a bowl win and be 7 and 6? Or is that too much to hope for in your fantasy?

8-4 regular season plus bowl win. It's enough wins that they'll have to beat someone of importance. Don't care against who.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7-6 would be solid imo. With this schedule, an unproven QB & a back-up QB who's never played a down, I'd take 7-6.

Getting to a bowl game + Winning the bowl game = Successful season given our schedule.

8-4 with our schedule. And I want to see us compete well in the 2nd half against the better teams. I loved the 4 game winning streak last year, but the part that still gives me pause is that we really weren't that competitive in our 4 B1G losses. The Iowa and Michigan games were ugly, and even though the defense played well against Wisky and Michigan St., I never really thought we had a chance to win in the 2nd half.

Winning 1 out of 3 trophy games would be ok given that 2 of them are road games. 2 out of 3 would make it a very successful year.

A winning record that includes a victory in Madison. I am so sick of losing to those f...ers.

6-6 or 7-5. A bowl win would be nice. The elephant in the room for me is the backup QB situation. From everything I've read, our season changes drastically if Mitch doesn't go the whole way. It sounds like if Streveler is in there we are somewhere around the offense we had in Kill's first and second year. If that happens I just want to see progress out of the QB position and the offense as the season progresses. Sky's the limit if Mitch plays well, stays healthy, and the rest of the team stays relatively healthy. I know we've heard this for 3 years now, but we're still so young at such important positions such as receiver and QB. Here's to Thursday night!!!

Your pretty close with me on this one. 3-1 is the absolute minimum in the non-conference anything less than that is bad given the class of opponents we are facing in those games. Conference schedule is tough, but it's the BIG so it is always going to be tough, so taking a step back from last years 4-4 would be disappointing. However there are degrees to everything so I can see a scenario where 6-6 could be viewed as a successful season but it would have to include some really competitive loses against the best in the conference and at least one trophy win.

As I see it I would say a successful season is at least 7 wins (with a loss against TCU) or 8 wins (with a win against TCU). Sitting here it feels like we would need to win at least 3 BIG games to make any case that things are moving in the right direction. I just don't see how we make that case with 2 or fewer BIG wins in year 4 under Kill. But again there are always other factors in football so really need to let the season play out.

10-3. Nothing less is a success for me. Don't worry, I'm not suicidal.

Too many variables for it to be simply a matter of just w's and l's. A winning record is a must. A winning record with non-New Year's Day bowl victory would do it. A B1G winning record and bowl loss would be be a successful season too assuming we're playing on New Year's Day. Ideally of course, we have a winning record in the B1G with the pig, axe, and jug in our trophy case along with a bowl victory on New Year's Day or, even better, as a playoff team.

Go Gophers!

Definitely need a trophy, and can't go backwards from last year's win totals. Also, don't want to see any games where we just get our tails handed to us. We aren't good enough to talk about winning every game yet, but we should be in them all.

Beat Becky and watch the whole Beckyville Nation melt like the wicked witch of the West. Get at least 7 wins and play
in Frisco.

Seven wins, and competitive in all games. Given the schedule I'm not expecting improvement on our 8-win season a year ago, but if we're competitive in all the games (within 14 points of all opponents) it will signal big progress to me. Haven't had a season where didn't lose at least one game by >14 points since 1999. Our biggest loss that year was by 5 points to Purdue.

Biggest losses in the seasons since:

2000: @ Wisconsin, 41-20
2001: @ Toledo, 38-7
2002: @ Ohio State, 34-3
2003: @ Iowa, 40-22
2004: @ Michigan St, 51-17
2005: @ Penn State, 44-14
2006: @ Ohio State, 44-0
2007: vs Illinois, 44-17
2008: vs Iowa, 55-0
2009: @ Ohio State, 38-7
2010: vs Ohio State, 52-10
2011: @ Michigan, 58-0
2012: @ Wisconsin, 38-13
2013: @ Michigan, 42-13

My expectations are AT LEAST another bowl game this year.

Super optimistic record guess? 9-3

Top Bottom