Dupree McBrayer Commits!

YWxjgQN.png

Wow, quite the big business professional. This has to be one of the geekiest moves I've seen.

I could make up a little picture and write Wate Night Poops on it, but no need to look like a fool.

Thanks for editing GW - and you're welcome. I'm certain a thank you post is coming.

It's funny there are 5 pages of comments on this kid's commitment to the U, but I've yet to see anything directly from McBrayer -- a Tweet, a statement, a select-a-hat press conference -- that confirms it (if anyone has anything, please post it). Everything is based on speculation and rumor from some of the recruiting guys. Some people on this board rightly say to curb our enthusiasm about commitments until a LOI is signed and received. He'll, in this case I just want to hear the verbal from the player himself.

I think successful coaches tell recruits pretty opening were they stand in the mix - ie "we would be thrilled if you commit right now but understand that we can't put our eggs in one basket waiting for your answer so we have offers out to others with the potential to fill the same position on the team." If an offer hasn't been extended yet to a player from that team, then they are still assessing the players skills relative to other options. If the offer to Jarvis hasn't been pulled, then the coaches still want him. If an offer is pulled, we won't hear it from the coaches or the player so all the banter about this or that is best left to the message board... Oh wait, this is message board.

If the offer to Jarvis hasn't been pulled, then the coaches still want him. If an offer is pulled, we won't hear it from the coaches or the player so all the banter about this or that is best left to the message board....

I believe RJ when he says staff still want Jarvis. It's hard to see him as our top priority at this point though. Considering he is taking an official Wiscy and set up a visit to Baylor Oct. 17th makes me want to take other who are ready to commit and leave him behind if it comes to that.

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello
Minnesota now has two guards committed in 2015 class: Dupree McBrayer and Kevin Dorsey. Could still pursue K.J. Walton or Jarvis Johnson.

*Excited to have commits from McBrayer and Dorsey!

I still think McBrayer is going to end up being a 3 for us. Even if he is only 6'3, he appears to have a huge wingspan for his height and also good athleticism. Starting this year and moving forward, I see Pitino having 3 starters with PG-type skills. This year it will likely be Dre, Dre, and Morris. Beyond this year it will be a combination of Morris, McNeil, Mason, Dorsey, and McBrayer (among others-Johnson, Coffey, etc.). So I think there is more than enough playing time for a player like Johnson if he wants to be here. If he doesn't, we have more than enough insurance on the roster and coming in next year. I love the way Pitino and Co. have been going about this year's class.

I still think McBrayer is going to end up being a 3 for us. Even if he is only 6'3, he appears to have a huge wingspan for his height and also good athleticism. Starting this year and moving forward, I see Pitino having 3 starters with PG-type skills. This year it will likely be Dre, Dre, and Morris. Beyond this year it will be a combination of Morris, McNeil, Mason, Dorsey, and McBrayer (among others-Johnson, Coffey, etc.). So I think there is more than enough playing time for a player like Johnson if he wants to be here. If he doesn't, we have more than enough insurance on the roster and coming in next year. I love the way Pitino and Co. have been going about this year's class.

August 19, 2014

McBrayer playing the field
"It's been a long journey to get to this point for Elizabeth (N.J.) The Patrick School guard Dupree McBrayer. Starting his high school career at Springfield Gardens in Queens, McBrayer then transferred to Quest Prep Academy in Las Vegas for his junior year before returning to the east coast for his senior year at The Patrick School. Now that he's graduated, McBrayer is close to selecting a prep school.

"It's being finalized now," McBrayer said. "I should know in the next few days. I decided to prep for development. Development of my game and my body. My doctor says I have a couple of more inches in me, so hopefully I can get to 6-foot-6 or 6-foot-7."

"
https://stjohns.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1171&script=/content.asp&cid=1671639

Wow, if McBrayer gets to 6'6+ I'm going to absolutely love this commit.

It's funny there are 5 pages of comments on this kid's commitment to the U, but I've yet to see anything directly from McBrayer -- a Tweet, a statement, a select-a-hat press conference -- that confirms it (if anyone has anything, please post it). Everything is based on speculation and rumor from some of the recruiting guys. Some people on this board rightly say to curb our enthusiasm about commitments until a LOI is signed and received. He'll, in this case I just want to hear the verbal from the player himself.

Twitter Bio:

"Dupree McBrayer
@InPree_WeTrust
University Of Minnesotta Commit"

From the other thread;

I don't believe there is anyone in the program that can beat out Lofton. To me the only question is whether he will start at the 2 or the 3.

Now with Dupree we have some more serious serious competition in the backcourt... Add in Jarvis and Pitino will have a lot of capable players and difficult decisions on how to divvy up the minutes.

I'm expecting Morris to take the bulk at 3 when he's a senior.

From the other thread;

Now with Dupree we have some more serious serious competition in the backcourt... Add in Jarvis and these guys will be splitting a lot of minutes.

Expecting Morris to take the bulk at 3 when he's a senior.

No team has 13 guys that split minutes. A coach puts his best guys on the court and they get the majority of the minutes becasue they give you the best chance to win. There are "players" and there are roll players and then there is the bench.

Some contradictory statements from his coach regarding playing early. I still think he will redshirt.

"I think a redshirt would be a positive thing for him. I think that's what he needs -- the maturity and him getting in the weight room. He really has to dedicate himself to that. He can really be a special player moving forward, but that's going to be key for him going into this prep year. He's confident, and if you want to play in that league as a freshman, you're going to need confidence. The Big Ten demands confidence. I think he could be able to play as soon as he steps on campus."

Some contradictory statements from his coach regarding playing early. I still think he will redshirt.

Why is it that many people on here think everyone will redshirt? it seams(maybe just my perception) that every recruit we get someone is asking if that guy will redshirt. Redshirt years in basketball are pretty rare(compared to football) and usually reserved for players who are 18 and not as good as the other recruits or team already there by a significant amount. Neither of these apply here. If McNiel didn't redshirt then McBrayer will not redshirt.

Remember if college basketball players develop into NBA material they want to be as young as possible when they hit that draft.

"I think a redshirt would be a positive thing for him. I think that's what he needs -- the maturity and him getting in the weight room. He really has to dedicate himself to that. He can really be a special player moving forward, but that's going to be key for him going into this prep year. He's confident, and if you want to play in that league as a freshman, you're going to need confidence. The Big Ten demands confidence. I think he could be able to play as soon as he steps on campus."

In the first comment saying he needs a redshirt year, his coach could possibly be referring to McBrayer's choosing to be a 5th year senior at a Prep School

Why is it that many people on here think everyone will redshirt? it seams(maybe just my perception) that every recruit we get someone is asking if that guy will redshirt. Redshirt years in basketball are pretty rare(compared to football) and usually reserved for players who are 18 and not as good as the other recruits or team already there by a significant amount. Neither of these apply here. If McNiel didn't redshirt then McBrayer will not redshirt.

Remember if college basketball players develop into NBA material they want to be as young as possible when they hit that draft.

And exactly how many of our players do you think have realistic NBA aspirations?

McNeil came to a team that was almost completely void of Pitino recruited players. Rich knew who McNeil was and what he could do and how he fit into style. He had no clue what the rest of the team could/couldn't do. I guarantee you it had nothing to do with McNeil wanting to be younger in the NBA. The team McBrayer is joining is a completely different one than McNeil joined.

And exactly how many of our players do you think have realistic NBA aspirations?

McNeil came to a team that was almost completely void of Pitino recruited players. Rich knew who McNeil was and what he could do and how he fit into style. He had no clue what the rest of the team could/couldn't do. I guarantee you it had nothing to do with McNeil wanting to be younger in the NBA. The team McBrayer is joining is a completely different one than McNeil joined.

Trevor Mbakwe, Rodney Williams, Austin Hollins are all playing professional basketball right now. It's not that far of a reach that they could have been drafted with a little bit of a better season. in Mbakwe's case probably if he hadn't gotten those Knee injuries. Point is any top 150 recruit can have realistic aspirations as long as they put in the hard work they can be drafted in the 2nd round or so.

Edit: I didn't mean to imply that McNeil didn't redshirted because he had NBA aspirations. I meant because he was close in playing ability to our back up guards.

While you are correct those guys are playing pro ball, but the level of pro ball they are playing age is less of a factor. The only time age is a huge factor in "stock" is for lottery picks. The rest of the NBA draft is roster filler and those guys are, on average, playing a contract or two at most. The difference between 22 and 20 years old in the NBA when you've only got 6 years to play means you're in your prime for your entire career.

You're point is valid, my point is the Gophers don't have players that it really would matter for, McBrayer being one of those non lottery pick types.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Morris, Dorsey, Mason, McNeill, and Lofton to play the bulk of the minutes at 3 positions, he isn't going to redshirt, one injury and he gets significant minutes.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting! Looks like we have a good relationship going with the Sunrise Christian coaches. (That's Konate's prep school, for those who don't recall. Also where we tried to get Lourawls Nairn).

Top Bottom