Season Opener dubbed “Throwback Thursday – Light ‘Em Gold”

Reaction score
Just got this email in the inbox like I'm sure most of you have, thought I'd share though. The Gophers unveiled the winning t-shirt design and dubbed the home opener "Throwback Thursday - Light 'Em Gold." All fans are asked to wear gold. Could there possibly some throwback jersey's we didn't know about?

Gopher.JPG

Could we possibly be seeing these gems come out from hiding?
7309372.jpeg

I sure hope its not those "gems". :eek:

Yeah those jerseys should never see the light of day again. That was the timeperiod when they seemed to change the jersey every season.

As for the game on Thursday, I like that they are trying to get the word out at least a little in advance, not sure how crazy I am about the Light Em Gold slogan but oh well. Have they announced what throwback the team will be wearing, I don't recall seeing anything yet but could have missed it?

If not throwback jerseys I would definitely expect to see the new gold helmets.

Yea at least they are trying to push the All Gold thing again more than a day or two before the game. I haven't or heard anything about new throwbacks, only the throwback Goldy on the shirt. Either way we're less than a week away so I could care less, I just want to fire up the grill and scream my lungs off during the game!

HAHAHA, wear the 'bra' jerseys for the opener? I surely hope not, but a pretty stellar pic nonetheless

Has it actually said that the team will be wearing throwback jerseys on any official site or publication associated with the U? I haven't seen anything other than the "throwback thursday" wording so I'm wondering if we are just assuming the team will wear throwback uniforms. My guess is they will be wearing their current uniforms, while the rest of us face-palm through another failed gold out.

Has it actually said that the team will be wearing throwback jerseys on any official site or publication associated with the U? I haven't seen anything other than the "throwback thursday" wording so I'm wondering if we are just assuming the team will wear throwback uniforms. My guess is they will be wearing their current uniforms, while the rest of us face-palm through another failed gold out.

This^

I would bring my golden wand, but all that comes from that is Gold Out recycled from Gold In!!!:drink::drink::drink:

You could certainly be right about the jerseys. Would seem odd to dub a game as Throwback Thursday and not were throwback jerseys but this is the U of M marketing team so it is entirely possible that there will be no connection between the game slogan and what the team is wearing.

As for the gold out, yeah that never works here, I honestly don't know that the general population owns that much gold stuff. Walking around the stadium on gamedays it seems like Maroon dominates gold for the fans wearing team colors and then there are the countless others wearing anything but U of M gear. At least they are attempting this early in the year when people are not bundled up in winter coats with almost no shot of many of them being gold. If the department ever really wants to accomplish a gold out they are going to have to bite the bullet and provide a shirt to every fan in attendance.

I would consider the new Gold helmet as "throwback". Oh, and it is Gold.

The numbers on the jerseys are inspired by a uni we wore decades ago, so that could count.

The team will probably wear all Maroon, and then we will babble about it here.....

You could certainly be right about the jerseys. Would seem odd to dub a game as Throwback Thursday and not were throwback jerseys but this is the U of M marketing team so it is entirely possible that there will be no connection between the game slogan and what the team is wearing.

As for the gold out, yeah that never works here, I honestly don't know that the general population owns that much gold stuff. Walking around the stadium on gamedays it seems like Maroon dominates gold for the fans wearing team colors and then there are the countless others wearing anything but U of M gear. At least they are attempting this early in the year when people are not bundled up in winter coats with almost no shot of many of them being gold. If the department ever really wants to accomplish a gold out they are going to have to bite the bullet and provide a shirt to every fan in attendance.

The student section shirts we are getting this year are gold, which at least means a chunk of the stadium at least doesn't have an excuse not to wear gold. I also missed the bottom part of the email, there is a contest for wearing gold. Prizes will be awarded for wearing gold before the game outside the stadium..including a full trip to TCU including hotel and airfare. Here is more info

contest.JPG

So apparently Throwback Thursday is an internet/social media thing. I don't really go overboard with the social media sites and don't use Twiter, so had never heard of it until I did a little research, based on the age of our fanbase I am betting that slogan is going over most of their heads as well. Heck I am only 37 and like I said until I searched for it I had never heard the term.

So apparently Throwback Thursday is an internet/social media thing. I don't really go overboard with the social media sites and don't use Twiter, so had never heard of it until I did a little research, based on the age of our fanbase I am betting that slogan is going over most of their heads as well. Heck I am only 37 and like I said until I searched for it I had never heard the term.

Sure you're not thinking of Thirsty Thursday? I know what that is.

The student section shirts we are getting this year are gold, which at least means a chunk of the stadium at least doesn't have an excuse not to wear gold. I also missed the bottom part of the email, there is a contest for wearing gold. Prizes will be awarded for wearing gold before the game outside the stadium..including a full trip to TCU including hotel and airfare. Here is more info

View attachment 2821

nice!

My wife and I bought our Gold t-shirts today at the Gopher state fair booth (shirts with the Gopher running the ball). I'm all set!

Tthat makes two bump-bumps. Let's have a bump! :drink::drink::drink:

I have six or seven maroon gophers shirts........no gold t-shirts. I'm going to have to stop and grab one prior to thursday.

They'll probably wear the ugly all gold unis.

Oh boy, I'm just imagining the all gold unis and the new gold helmets :eek:. As dreadful as that would be, part of me actually wants to witness that spectacle once. But just once.

Top Bottom